It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

patcher HB User
Five Months Smoke-Free and Still Craving

Hello,
On the November 16th I made 5 months into quitting smoking. I'm very happy I'm taking steps to becoming healthy. Since my quit, my body has and still is going through unbelievable changes. I had sinus problems before and now there through the roof. My sleeping pattern is still off, I wake up all through the night. I'm 45 and I think I'm going through pre-menapause, my emotional state of mind is totally in shambles. I cry all the time. I WANT TO SMOKE. But I will not. I miss my cigarettes sooooooooooooo much. They were my stress reliever, so I thought. I stare at people when I see them smoking. At times I wish it were me. And you know what? It really STINKS. I want the cravings to go away completely. Any suggestions. I constantly chew sugarless gum and for the most part I don't think about smoking all the time . Just sometimes.
I hate I ever smoked. I guess this is how a drug addict feels when they can't have drugs. I HATE THIS FEELING. I want to feel normal again and not crave anything. I never thought quitting would make me feel like this. But I do know in the long run I'll feel better and live longer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Re: Five Months Smoke-Free and Still Craving

Hi Patch! I wrote to you recently on the allergy board. I KNOW how you feel. I had to change so much recently because I too quit smoking (again), and everytime I do, I end up covered in hives, rashes, etc...I think we're in a mourning period with real depression because we've lost the loves of our lives--BUTTS! They've been there since late 1974, through college, marriage, pregnancy, aggravation, hysterectomy--you name it, we were the best of friends but now it's time for our lives to change because our systems are changing. We can't do what we used to and it feels like there is nothing else to substitute it with. I quit drinking 22 years ago, gave up caffeine 5 1/2 years ago and the last to go is the hardest. A doctor that I went to(a psychiatrist) told me it's the hardest but most worthwhile and it will take up to a year to get over it. I've sought out an allergist, changed to herbal drinks and foods to see exactly what I'm allergic to and so far it's food dyes and I have acid reflux to beat the band. When I'm feeling pretty tired (which is alot of the time), I cry my heart out because I'm angry that I have this craving but they say only time can heal it. I've talked to people who have quit and say they only craved it for about 6 weeks and that was it. Baloney! I still would love to have a drink, or have caffeine, and do it all with a butt in my mouth, but I stop and think that I don't get up with hangovers from any of them anymore and I'm grateful for that. I totally understand what you're going through and as far as the sleep problem, that probably is a combination of pre-menopause and a mild depression from going without the cigarettes. Have any of the antihistamines been able to help you to sleep?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Patch! I wrote to you recently on the allergy board. I KNOW how you feel. I had to change so much recently because I too quit smoking (again), and everytime I do, I end up covered in hives, rashes, etc...I think we're in a mourning period with real depression because we've lost the loves of our lives--BUTTS! They've been there since late 1974, through college, marriage, pregnancy, aggravation, hysterectomy--you name it, we were the best of friends but now it's time for our lives to change because our systems are changing. We can't do what we used to and it feels like there is nothing else to substitute it with. I quit drinking 22 years ago, gave up caffeine 5 1/2 years ago and the last to go is the hardest. A doctor that I went to(a psychiatrist) told me it's the hardest but most worthwhile and it will take up to a year to get over it. I've sought out an allergist, changed to herbal drinks and foods to see exactly what I'm allergic to and so far it's food dyes and I have acid reflux to beat the band. When I'm feeling pretty tired (which is alot of the time), I cry my heart out because I'm angry that I have this craving but they say only time can heal it. I've talked to people who have quit and say they only craved it for about 6 weeks and that was it. Baloney! I still would love to have a drink, or have caffeine, and do it all with a butt in my mouth, but I stop and think that I don't get up with hangovers from any of them anymore and I'm grateful for that. I totally understand what you're going through and as far as the sleep problem, that probably is a combination of pre-menopause and a mild depression from going without the cigarettes. Have any of the antihistamines been able to help you to sleep?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hi Patcher glad to hear your still hangin in there with me. November 12 was 5 months for me. I'M FAT!!!!!! But just started back on a diet that I was pretty successful with before. Being Healthy is boring that's what it is it's boring. I don't smoke, I don't really drink. I don't do anything accept take care of the kid. I'm bored to tears. I have to admit I do still crave them when stressed like this morning it's my birthday and my 4 yr old just plain sucks he's making my life REALLY difficult at the moment so much so that I cried this morning and that little ****** smiled. I wanted to sock him one. I'd much rather be somplace warm having a frosty drink and havin a smoke.But I will NOT go through the withdrawals again they were a MONSTER and that's what keeps me not smoking. I REMEMBER EVERY DAY AND EVERY AWFUL FEELING AND SYMPTOM. Nope don't wanna do that again. WE just gotta find something fun to replace it that's all if I figure it out I'll post til then your rockin it Patcher I hope everything else is settled down a bit also.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
(female)

patcher HB User

Hello Liamsmom,
First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!. Thanks for your comments. I agree I am bored. I want to go back to work but I can't yet. I WANT TO SMOKE!!!!! I keep thinking I'll feel better if I were smoking again. But, I know that isn't the case. Also, I refuse to go through the withdrawl again.
I still occasionally focus on something being wrong with my breathing but I try to not think about that. I think you gave me some advice about that but I can't remember. If you did, please tell me again.

Thanks Patcher

Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User

I promise that it will get better... Honest. I think for me..... around 6 months the cravings really stopped. But a few weeks ago, I was driving home from work and I reached over into my pocketbook to get a cig. (No craving, just habit) It's been over 4 yrs for me. Some habits die hard. I was a 4 pack a day girl. God, I hate the smell of them now,

Hang in there, & remember the withdrawls, don't smoke.... You can do this.

Sid

Old 11-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hey Patcher for me I just keep thinking about my son and how frightening it will be when and if he has his first real asthma attack the doc said the smoke from my hair and clothes were aggravating his breathing so I quit. I noticed the difference in breathing for me about 2 months after when my street was having a block party and someone's baby was headed towards an unsafe situation and their Mom wasn't watching I was able to sprint down the street in no time flat and thank goodness I could. My neighbor said she didn't know I had it in me. I was just thankful I still did. I don't know what advice I gave you but I'm glad you remember it was me giving it. I know we have alot of similar situations in life I figure if I don't treat me well no one else will either. I tell yah yesterday was a hard one because my son is kickin my butt and giving me such a hard time that he can reduce me to tears but I still don't smoke. Cause I know just one that's all it'll take for the love affari to begin all over again and we've all worked so hard to get that rotten ******* of a love outta of our lives. I just breathe through it all just breathe Sometimes bored is better for the time being anyway!!!

Old 12-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcher
I had sinus problems before and now there through the roof. My sleeping pattern is still off, I wake up all through the night. I'm 45 and I think I'm going through pre-menapause, my emotional state of mind is totally in shambles. I cry all the time.
Wow patcher, I have the same exact problems and cravings. I quit in May so I've passed the 6 month mark, but boy is it hard!

I still get cravings but not as often as I did at first. One thing that helped me (and I don't advise anyone to do this) is that I bought a pack of my brand of cigarettes about 2 months ago, gave them to a friend and asked her to give me one. I smoked it when I got home that night, I lit it, took a few puffs, put it out, lit it again... did this 4 times until the cigarette was gone. I got so sick that I don't even want to think of smoking again... I got very nauseous, sweaty, shaky and my legs were very weak.

Even thought I don't think I want to smoke, I still feel like I want a cigarette now and then. I'm not sure how to describe it. I also have a sinus problem at night that I thought was due to using Vicks Sinex. I have problems sleeping. I think I'm depressed. I hate my job and want to quit it. I just never associated these things with smoking cessation. Is it possible that all my physical and mental symptoms are due to my quitting smoking? If that is the case, what should I do before I do something that will cause me many more problems.... like quitting a good paying job? I don't think I want to smoke again because I don't want to go through the withdrawal again!

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I just found these message boards and will begin reading, but had to reply to this first message since it described what I am feeling to a T!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I'll be 6 months on 12/12 I still get cravings and think to myself well I could have just one then I remember oh yeah I can't then the whole love affair will start AGAIN. I try to think of them as an EX boyfriend who I LOVE but no goood for me and I can't be around at all because I have no control of myself. The withdrawals seem to be just as painful so NO thanks!!!!!! I don't need either one. We all rock keep up the fabulous work

Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
(female)

patcher HB User

Hello KathyfLORIDA,
I HAVE NO ADVICE EXCEPT.... ONE DAY AT A TIME. I FEEL PRETTY much the same if not worse as you do. It seems that ever since I quit smoking my life has gone downhill. I feel like crap. I'm very depressed, feel sick everyday, feel like it's something wrong with my breathing, very irritable and overall unhappy. When I smoked I was fine. I felt better than I do now. However, I know quitting is the smartest decision I've made...........but it's hard. I'm coming up on six months on the 16th. I guess things are getting better because honestly, most days I don't even think about smoking. Patcher

Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Patcher, we could be twins, we are experiencing the same things/emotions. I don't feel sick, my breathing is much better and I don't wheeze anymore, but boy am I emotional. I am very irritable, depressed, can't sleep (but maybe that's the Wellbutrin???), I hate my job... I can't smoke, eat, drink, doc said to cut down on coffee ---- WHAT IS THE POINT TO LIFE, LOL!! I think I'm very depressed, the only symptom I don't have is I am not suicidal... Oh why did I ever pick up that first cig?

Good luck to you, let me know how you are doing.. we seem to be so close together in our recovery of this nasty habit.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

my boss is on 5 and a half years and everytime i smoke i think he just about starts drooling. he still talks about it all the time! but he resists and that is the important part.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I'm six months on tuesday and I actually like the smell if it's outside it's like someone walked by with a plate of pasteries or something, yet inside if I smell it or someone has it on their clothes I think it smells gross. Figure that one out. Plus I'll always think of them as a very missed very dear friend who lives FAR FAR AWAY

Last edited by Liamsmom; 12-09-2006 at 06:55 AM.

Closed Thread