It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
(male)

Tekkymrc HB User
It is taking a toll on my health, I need to quit!!!

Hi,
I have start smoking when I was 18(I am now 27). Why I started is still somewhat of a mystery in some ways because when I was younger I would be the one to be always on my parents back for smoking and all that.

Started to have personal problems and turned to smoking... gone from a few cigarettes per week to quickly a pack a day, then two packs a day.

About three year ago, my Sensei got really mad at me because I had yet another bronchitis and was very sick and of course it was linked at least in some ways to the fact I was smoking. That day, I stopped and was able to be smoke free for only less than three months. Can't really say how long it was since I remember smoking here and there before I started back "officially".

I tried a couple more times to stop and never was successful... but now it has come to the point that it really is taking a toll on my health and I just can't lie to myself anymore about the affects it has in my life.

I had a persitent cough since almost two months now... that gives me headache when I cough... and sometimes so much pain I need to apply pressure on my shoulder while coughing because of how much it hurts. I had bruised(or broken...) ribs on both sides that won't heal because of how much I keep coughing and I am out of breath almost doing nothing at all... so when I go to my kenpo class it gets ridiculous by moment... feels like I have a cat hair stuck in my throat sometimes and so can't stop coughing... also feel like there is something of small size stuck on what side of my throat constantly since weeks or more now...

I started to exercise on a daily basis and try to be overall more healthy and to get back to a right weight for my height. I want to stop smoking because it is not helping at all right now besides the fact that it is an habit that makes me feel like it helps me relax and calm down and because I become a nervous wreck if I go too many hours without a cig....its out of hand and I am tired of it...

Anyone has stories of what helped them quit smoking? Not go back to it? GO through the withdrawl period without losing your mind? ANything at all would help!, Thank you!

Tekkymrc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: It is taking a toll on my health, I need to quit!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkymrc
Hi,
Anyone has stories of what helped them quit smoking? Not go back to it? GO through the withdrawl period without losing your mind? ANything at all would help!, Thank you!
Tekkymrc

Tekkymrc--

Wow, sounds like it is time for you to quit. Some people's lungs I think are just more sensitive than other people's but in the long run, it will eventually do us all in if we don't stop. Maybe you have chronic bronchitis or something, that would probably go way, or at least get a hell of a lot better if you quit now. You are only 27, so I would think your health is still not ruined,...yet. But your body is telling you, "STOP NOW!!!!"

I quit after 30 years of smoking, my husband quit, (for the 1st time) after around 38 years of smoking....I remember someone posted here, (long ago) that they had smoked 50+ years, and yet they managed to successfully quit!! So you see. ...if there's a will, there's a way.

The question is, "How determined are you to quit for good, at all costs, no matter what?!!"
Once you make up your mind to do that...that you are 100% ready to do it, to go through all the trouble, hard work, bad cravings, changing your habits, and just making a TOTAL commitment, (mental), then you will be able to do it. I had quit at least 10 times over those 30 years, and 2 of those times, I made it to the 1 year mark......but I just wasn't really ready to do it "for good", I wasn't commited to giving it up F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

This last quit I was totally commited, and I accepted the fact that it wouldn't be easy, but I wanted it more than anything, and here it is 38 months later, and now I can honestly say....I have no more cravings, I hate the smell of smoking, I hold my breath when I past a smoker, I'm saving buku bucks, and I feel confident that I will NEVER smoke again, and I love being a NON SMOKER. It was worth every minute of misery, cravings, cravings, and more cravings...and all the mental crazy-ness I felt for about a good 6 months to....well, really I would say through that 1st whole year....but each month became more and more bearable...and I'm so SO happy and grateful today that I went through all of that. Today I feel pretty darn serene, (I've worked at it), and actually find my life so much happier and so much LESS complicated without those ugly nasty cigs hanging out of my pretty mouth, stinking up my breath and wasting all my money and speeding up my ultimate demise.

As far as the craving go, I'm not going to say that I didn't have them--I DID....but they were a lot more tolerable with the help of nicotine replacement products...for me, patches and then nicotine gum. (and a whole lot of prayers too)

I stayed on the NRT longer than most people do, but hey...maybe that's what it took me to get quit! Now I'm off of the NRT for 6 months now, and I feel great without it. I've changed a lot of my old bad habits...I exercise and I eat right now, (I actually eat breakfast now, for the 1st time in years), and I no longer waste 1/2 of my day, (or more) sitting out in the garage, (by myself) feeling and looking like a moron. All of the above just took a lot of commitment..... and if you don't have that...you'll never be able to quit. The cravings I had were more mental than physical too, BTW.

So if you think you can commit to the above, and a good year of hard (mental) work.....then get with it!!

Come on.....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

good luck.....
Deda
PROUD NON SMOKER SINCE 9-24-03

Last edited by Deda; 11-26-2006 at 02:43 AM.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Deda! You always give everyone such encouragement and it is a pleasure to read your posts. I posted a little while ago under another thread that my system is going a little balmy with this quitting thing, but if I've gone 32 days I can go 180 as well! Just a note of thanks for the pep talk! Hopeto--

Old 11-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

HEY...CONGRATULATIONS on going 32 days without a smoke- -hope to!!

I'm sorry you're still feeling bad. I saw your post on the thyroid board, and I wish I could help, but it sounds pretty complicated. There are some good knowledgeable people over there tho that I'm sure will give you some top advise. But my heart and prayers are with you, girl. I know one day you will get it straightened out. Be sure to inform your thyroid Dr. that you have quit smoking. I'll write ya more later...I have to go now, but will try to get back tonight. Thanks for the sweet compliments, and you try to have a great day.

HUGS....
Deda

Closed Thread