It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
(female)

Bullwinkle2 HB User
Wink One Week Smoke-Free...

If someone had told me a week ago that I wouldn’t be craving a cigarette first thing in the morning after not smoking for six days, I wouldn’t have believed them.

But, ‘tis true.

Yesterday made six days smoke-free for me. And yesterday morning, while drinking my coffee and taking my supplements, I did not want a cigarette. In fact, I can honestly say that I didn’t crave a cigarette at all yesterday.

Tonight at 7:00pm, I’ll officially be one week smoke-free, and I’m glad of it. However, I am cautious, too. Remember – I’ve been down this road before. Everything was hunky-dory until I hit the end of my fourth week. I’ll call it the Fourth Week Wall (FWW). Up to that time, I had lost all cigarette cravings, and I was feeling fine. Then I hit that FWW and I was depressed, crying, upset – and there wasn’t one damn thing I could do to stop it. I am NOT a high maintenance person, but I became such during that week. I loathed myself for what I had become. And to add insult to injury, the cigarette cravings returned, with a vengeance.

So, I started smoking again.

Now, THIS time I’m fortified for that FWW. After that last FWW episode, I went to my doctor and said, “Hey. This ain’t workin’ for me. You have GOT to tell me what in Hell’s the matter with me.” I ‘splained about the depression, et al, and that’s when he told me about the pleasure receptors in my brain just waiting to be filled by me taking a drag on a cigarette.

Oh. That made sense, because I instantly felt better with that very first cigarette.

So, that’s when he started me on Wellbutrin. He further ‘splained to me that it would take a few weeks – or even months – for it to build up in my system before I’d notice a difference.

He was right. I can tell a difference between this quit-smoking-attempt, and the last one. I’m pretty sure that’s why I am not having the cravings now.

But, we’ll see. We’ll see how I’m doing when I hit that Fourth Week Wall. Hopefully, not only will I make it to that wall, but I’ll be able to scale it and move on with life – smoke-free.

And now I hafta hit the treadmill for thirty minutes. I’ve gained about 10 pounds in one week of not smoking (you heard me correctly – that’s 10 – T-E-N – pounds). Holy Crap! If I continue to gain at this rate, by the time I hit that wall I won’t be able to lift my keister over it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

HRWade HB User
Re: One Week Smoke-Free...

At that rate, you'll be able to steamroll through it, lol I'm proud of you, keep it up!!

~heather

Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

Tzu-crazee HB User

Hi I recently quit smoking it is my 59th day I know all about the FWW I almost lost my quit. I did mine Cold @** turkey.WHEW!! I have no real cravings now, and can say I barely think of smoking I breath better, sleep better, smell better, and a few people i have not seen in awhile said I look great what did I do??? Quit smoking. As for the weight I did gain 5 lbs, however i think if I did not drink as much water as I did and am since I quit I would have gained more I think. I am working on getting thru the holiday season with smoking friends, alcohol and many yummy treats. So congrats for you in your quit and take it one day at a time.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Thumbs up right on...Bullwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle2
If someone had told me a week ago that I wouldn’t be craving a cigarette first thing in the morning after not smoking for six days, I wouldn’t have believed them.

But, ‘tis true.

Yesterday made six days smoke-free for me.

Way to go, Bullwinkle! 6 days is awesome.... just keep on going...you can do it!

Hey girl, you are doing great! See...I hope others here can see how it's okay if you've quit many times, as long as you're learning along the way what caused your relapses, or when you became most vulnerable to smoke again...like you at 4 weeks....and that's so good that you are aware of that now... so you can be prepared.

My breaking point always showed up around the 4 month mark.... and I would've killed for a cigarette! Well, even this last quit I faltered at 4 months,...almost 4 months to the day! But this time I only smoked for a few days, and thought, "uh-uh, no way,...not again....I won't do what I usually do and wait 5 years, [or more] to attempt quitting again", so I just quit!! I was so proud of myself, as I had never been able, (never tried,...what am I talking about?) to quit like that before.

You sound like you have this whole quitting thing set up real well, Bullwinkle, keeping in touch with your Dr., etc. I take it you're on Wellbutrin, right now? I think anti-depressants can really help a lot of us when we quit, especially us long term smokers, so I think it's good you're using that as an aide in your quit as well. Quitting does cause depression at some point, for most of us. I am on Wellbutrin right now myself, but it's not for depression from quitting...but that associated with my thyroid problems, etc. I should've been on it that whole 1st year though, looking back.

That is great to hear that you are not suffering any cravings right now. Isn't it strange how we can have perfectly good days without cravings like that, [in the beginning], and then some time down the line, you get them full force?? (Like me at 4 months, not that I didn't have them before that, but they just became so intense at that time) I wonder what explains that?

Keep up the great work!
Deda

Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu-crazee
Hi I recently quit smoking it is my 59th day

Tzu-crazee...

Congratulations to you too! :::high-fives:::

Don't worry too much about 5 little lbs....you can and will lose that later. Qutting smoking and being healthy is more important than a few lbs.

Keep it going...and good luck,
Deda

Closed Thread