It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2006, 05:33 AM   #1
(female)

Bullwinkle2 HB User
Thirty-three days without a cigarette, but wanting one...

One of the reasons I needed to stop smoking was because I need to have surgery, and my surgeon won't do it unless I quit. Also, my surgeon requires that I have a psyche evaluation before surgery, so I had one.

Okay, so I took the tests the psychiatrist told me to take. You know the kind……you use a Number 2 Pencil and fill in the bubbles. Two different personality tests, et al. I called his office last week and left a voicemail, asking him to please fax the results to my surgeon. He calls me back and tells me that he wants to discuss a few things with me.

Uh oh. Hmmm. Okay.

So I go into his office yesterday to discuss the results. He’s ‘troubled’ by some of my answers, and thinks I need to see him once a week for three months to work on some of my ‘issues’. This guy thinks I’m certifiable, and is going to tell my surgeon that I shouldn’t have the surgery just now.

What the Hell?

I guess that’s what I get for being completely honest in my answers. He went over those answers with me, and I gave him my explanations for giving those answers. Each time I gave him an explanation, he gave me the once-over and mumbled, “Uh HUH.” And then scribbled something on his note pad.

Sanctimonious, judgmental sonofabi-otch.

Here’s your explanations, buddy. The REASON I have nightmares each night is because I’m wearing a freakin’ nicotine patch. The nicotine patch is notorious for causing nightmares. My surgeon told me I hafta quit smoking, so I haven’t had a cigarette in 33 days now. The nicotine patch helps takes some of the edginess away.

The REASON I am anxious and edgy is because I haven’t had a cigarette in 33 days, after having smoked for over 20 years.

The REASON I’m a little depressed at this time of year is because I don’t get to see my family. Holy Crap. ANYONE would be a tad depressed because of missing family members at the holidays. Add to the equation that people trying to quit smoking experience depression and, voila, you have a patient, such as I, stating: “Yes, I experience depression.”

Stupid freakin’ “read everything negative you can about this woman and her answers” doctor (and I use the term ‘doctor’ loosely).

The REASON I nibble on food – even when I’m not hungry – is because I’m trying to find a substitute for sticking a damn cigarette into my mouth. You call it bingeing. I call it finding a substitute for a cigarette. It’s not bingeing, you idiot.

So, this unprepossessing fool holds the keys, as it were, to me having this surgery that I need. With one sweeping, generalization about me to my surgeon, he holds the power to either allow me to have this life-altering surgery, or to deny me the hope I’ve built upon for the past year.

Man, I want a cigarette. Bad. It’s seven o’clock in the morning on Christmas Eve, and I’m thinking of hoofing it down to the local convenience store and getting a pack.

I emailed my surgeon when I got home yesterday from Doctor Whats-his-face, and told him just what I think of the so-and-so, and WHY I answered the way I did to some of those questions. With everything I’ve read about my surgeon – and from my assessment when I met him in person – he strikes me as genuinely interested in helping people like me. I'm thinking of emailing this entry to him.

*sigh* I need a cigarette in a very bad way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Thirty-three days without a cigarette, but wanting one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle2
.......Man, I want a cigarette. Bad. It’s seven o’clock in the morning on Christmas Eve, and I’m thinking of hoofing it down to the local convenience store and getting a pack. <snip>
*sigh* I need a cigarette in a very bad way.
The pdoc sounds like a jerk, hopefully your surgeon will proceed on with the surgery w/o his input.

About wanting a cigarette, I really hate the cigarette companies for getting me hooked (okay, I picked up the first cig, but gee, did they have to make it so addictive???), I'll always want a cigarette... the cravings are much easier to deal with after 7 months, but that feeling in my stomach is always there.

And.... remember what you wrote in another thread:
Quote:
Wow. Suddenly I feel like a whiney brat when I think I NEED a cigarette.

Thank you for your post. I needed to read that. My paradigm has shifted. Yesterday I was thinking that I CAN'T stay quit.

This morning I know that I MUST stay quit. Tomorrow will make three weeks.

Good luck and Have a Happy Holiday!

TF

Old 12-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hey Bullwinkle ****** that psychiatrist what an a$$ hole. Your doin great and don't let a little detour derail your great progress. !!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

confrustrated HB User

Did he say he wanted the eval done by that psych? If not, see another!! I can't imagine they will all be like that!
Good luck and way to go!!!!!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
(male)

alexnaison HB User

Quote:
I need a cigarette in a very bad way.
According to "health-care-notes" at blagspot, 30 days is the most critical period! My congratulations!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
(female)

Bullwinkle2 HB User

People, people, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

I made it. I turned the corner. I am 40 days smoke-free!!

WOO HOO!!!

Thanks for the continued support of all of you.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
(female)

confrustrated HB User

WAY TO GO!! My boyfriend quit smoking cold turkey right before Thanksgiving. I was so proud of him and I'm so proud of you too!!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Thirty-three days without a cigarette, but wanting one...

Let me add my congratulations to the mix! You have made it past the hardest point....some people don't make it 33 hours (or 3 hours in some cases). Pat yourself on the back and know you have taken a GIANT step in improving your health and life!!

Way to go!

Dave
Smoke Free since 2/9/06!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Bullwinkle, you are awesome!! Keep it up! You're doin' soooooooo good. Be proud. Have you told people that you are now a non-smoker? Don't that sound good?!!

Memaw

Closed Thread