It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

SRC HB User
Tingling/numbness in arms/legs

Anyone experience tingling/numbness/vibrating in legs and arms AFTER quitting smoking? This started not quite two weeks after I stopped smoking...it's been almost 11 months now and has gotten worse

Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Tingling/numbness in arms/legs

SRC,
You need to call your doctor and talk to him/her about this. It could be something other than your stopping smoking. Everything I've read about stopping smoking never mentioned tingling/numbness/vibrating in legs and arms. I'm no doctor but this sounds like it could be a circulation problem and you need to check it out as soon as you can.
Memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

Reyne HB User

From what I have read sometime smoking masks other symtoms. I would go to the Dr and have them check it out.

Good for you on quitting.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC
Anyone experience tingling/numbness/vibrating in legs and arms AFTER quitting smoking? This started not quite two weeks after I stopped smoking...it's been almost 11 months now and has gotten worse

Congratulations SRC....that's great that you QUIT smoking---way to go!

Please go to a Dr. and get a check up. Smoking really does mask pain and some illnesses become exposed after a person quits smoking...one that I often see happen to some people (on thyroid message boards) is they find out they have a thyroid problem, (usually hypothyroid) only after they have quit smoking. (Smoking is also hard on the thyroid, as there's a chemical in cigs called theocyanate, (or something like that) that depresses your thyroid function. Anyway....it could be other things, but I say, please get this checked, as I have thyroid disease, (hypo), and had those exact same symptoms when my levels were low [and I was very hypo]. Good luck!

Deda

Old 01-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

SRC HB User

DEDA....Interestingly enough, I've been on thyroid medication for years, first synthroid, then desiccated in 2003, and it was only after quitting smoking last February that my thyroid (which has several nodules) started producing excess hormone. The numbness/tingling all started around this same time. I was put on Tapazole/Beta Blockers this summer to bring my levels down and in September had RAI. Am definitely HYPO now; The Internist wanted me on Synthroid and not "natural desiccated" so am trying that but not doing well at all. Legs/arms/nose still really bad and the Clonazepam that was helping me get 6 hours of sleep (and the only reprieve from this constant madness) the past couple of months no longer seems to work.

PLEASE tell me your thyroid story okay,....about the numbness, tingling because my doctor knows nothing about the connection!!!!

Am going crazy
thanks
Shelley

Old 01-16-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
(female)

Bullwinkle2 HB User

Quote:
...my doctor knows nothing about the connection!!!!
Then find a different doctor.

I'm not trying to be flip. Just find a different doctor who will listen to you. I, too, have thyroid issues. I've had an underactive thyroid since the age of 8, and I'll be 46 next month. I quit smoking 55 days ago, and have had a few sensations of "tingling legs", but thought that it was the RLS (restless leg syndrome). Your post has me thinking otherwise. I am going to ask my doctor about it.

Again.......If I were you, I'd see another doctor.

My two cents.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
(female)

SRC HB User

Hi Bullwinkle. Would be curious to know what your thyroid blood tests look like after quitting smoking. Mine went to Hyper. Are you on Synthroid/Cytomel/Armour?

SRC

Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
(female)

SRC HB User

Bullwinkle, one more thing? Have you had RLS in the past? That's what I thought was going on with me but it's not relieved by movement and is in feet/legs/chest/arms/hands/face/nose (vibrating/tingling)
who knows, maybe it is RLS?

Closed Thread