It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
(male)

Jay Ar HB User
How I did it, stop that is.

Hello everybody, I am brand new in here, only found the site a couple of hours ago. Anyway I stopped smoking after 45 years and thought I would post a bit of a letter I sent to some friends to help them do likewise.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello Peter and Thelma,
Val said that you both quit smoking and I thought I would write you a few words of encouragement. I had my last *** on 13 June last year (2000) and am now past the worst of it, I hardly think about smoking and when I do the thought goes away after a second or two. Believe me itís a nice feeling after 45 years of non-stop smoking.
Itís also good fun putting no-smoking signs up around the house and car, and watching others who have to go outside like Iíve been doing for years. There was a quit program run at work and I joined in. I planned it about ten days ahead to stop at the end of a working block, I came home after night shift, had something to eat, put on a patch and went to bed.
I used 1 patch per day for the first 3 weeks and then decided I was making progress and went to 1 patch every second day. I got out of it cheap as I only used 4 packets over 5 weeks instead of the recommended 10 over 10 weeks. There are a lot of milestones like, the first hour, first day, first week, first month and now I aiming at my first year. One thing that helps me is I know if I give in Iíll have to start counting again, and the thought of loosing 350 days of my personal battle is enough to bannish the thought from my head. Another thing that helps once you are down the road a little way is that, it takes a week for every year you have smoked to get rid of the gunk in your lungs. After about three months I started experiencing pains across my chest and having trouble swallowing food, and this persisted for a few months but is fairly normal if you are a long time smoker and is easing off now. After being 75 Kgs for the last 45 years I suddenly shot up to 90 Kgs and have stopped there for the last 8 or 9 months and itís all behind my belly button. Another thing people kept telling me is, I would get my sense of taste back, that isnít very noticeable but my sense of smell is very acute and almost annoying some times. I also started putting $70.00 into a canister each week but the novelty wore off after a couple of months. OK thatís it, just remember if you do give in, itís OK to quit again soon after. Also joining the quit program at work was a big help as I didn't want to be the weak link.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: How I did it, stop that is.

Congrats! and welcome to the site!!

I had my 8 month anniversary today.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Jay Ar,
Congratulation on your quit!! Almost 1 year! Way to go. I'll be glad when I can say that. I'm at a point now that I hardly ever think about wanting to smoke. Sunday January 14 will be 5 months of not smoking for me. Yee Haw!! If you aren't doing anything, stick around and inspire all of us. It helps to help others.

Memaw

Old 01-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
(male)

Jay Ar HB User

Hey there, I thought I had better clear up one thing, it was june 2000 when I stopped (6 1/2 years) so now I am one of those awful reformed smokers that has a short memory, Ha, Ha,
Cheers

Old 01-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Great for all of you that have stopped smoking. It seems that it takes over your life. I hope I will have the same success. I'm going to a stop smoking group on Jan. 23rd. A friend bought me Commit lozenges, so I will take those. I will be very happy when I can say that I'm an ex-smoker!!

Old 01-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
(female)

Izzy51 HB User

Hi. Today is my 2 month anniversary!!! Someone asked me why I count the days of quitting. They said if I was really "QUITTING" I wouldn't be counting! I couldn't answer the need to count. It just reafirms the quit for me. Any feedback on this. Kind of made me feel silly! Congrats to all of us counting quitters!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
(male)

Jay Ar HB User

Izzy 51, don't worry about other people, quitting is a personal challenge 10 times harder than learning to fly, believe me I've done both. Don't forget if you do cave in it's OK to to quit again latter.
Goodluck

Old 01-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Izzy51,
I think 2 months is WONDERFUL! Darlin', you go ahead and count for as long as you want to. Two months ago did you think you'd be able to say that you are a non-smoker? Doesn't that sound good! And don't ya smell better??

Today is my 5 month anniversary! I have saved about $450 and I have not smoked about 3080 cigarettes. I have added over 1 week and 3 days to my life in these 5 short months. So Yes, I count.

Congrats to you and keep up the hard work!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 01-14-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
Today is my 5 month anniversary!
Congrats Memaw, way to go!!!!

Closed Thread