It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

wailana HB User
Aloha! I'm a Newbie

Aloha everyone! I've been smoke free for 4 days! I'm currently taking wellbutrin sr, well the generic form. The side effects were so bad for me. I'm anxious already (been diagnosed several years ago with Panic Disorder) and before taking the medication I was managing the anxiety. Well, I didn't do much research about the effects of Wellbutrin. I had anxiety up the ying yang! Panic attacks, jittery, shakey the whole bit. This started on day 4 (take 1 dose for 3 days and 1 dose 2 times a day).
Anyways, to make a long story short. I called up my doctor and got a refill for xanax. After taking 2 dosages for three days, I couldn't handle it. I was not sleeping. Getting up every two hours then having to work 8 hours a day plus transport client/families (I'm a family support worker and I work with environmentally at risk children and their families). I was foggy most of the time and anxious. I felt I was on speed or something. When the medication would release (it was a time realease pill) it was really strong. So anyways, I'm down to one dose a day till tomorrow.

I did stop smoking and I actually quit 2 days prior to my quit date. Smoking was not pleasureable and everytime I would think of smoking, my nerves just shot through me and made me dizzy...weird.

So here I am...I'm happy to have found this board with so much support. I'm hoping that after I stop taking the medication, I will remain smoke free. If not, I'm joining that band wagon and getting on Chantix.

Smiles and Aloha,

Wailana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Aloha! I'm a Newbie

Wailana,
4 days without a cigarette is WONDERFUL! It sounds like you have had enough of this addiction and are ready to kick butt.

I took the wellbutrin a few years back. It didn't work for me. My husband found me walking round and round the backyard crying my eyes out. He wanted to know what was the matter. (he was afraid HE had done something.hehehe) In between jerky sobs I told him "I (sob,sob)WANT A (sob,sob) CIGARETTE!!! He got me to come in the house and call the doctor. My doctor didn't seem to be concerned. He said it was just nicotine withdrawal and if it was too bad, to smoke one cigarette. Well....guess what? I smoke one, then another one, then another one. Since I was smoking, I didn't see any use in taking the wellbutrin.
That's my experience with wellbutrin.

I have a feeling you're going to make it. It will be one of the best decisions you have ever made. My six month anniversary is coming up the 14th and I feel wonderful!!

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailana View Post
Aloha everyone! I've been smoke free for 4 days!
Congratulations wailana! What a great achievement!!!

I too took wellbutrin and it worked since I'm not smoking anymore, but it did give me anxiety which I still have a slight case of. But I'd rather be an anxious ex-smoker than a non-anxious smoker.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
(female)

wailana HB User

Thanks for all the encouragement. Just ate dinner (burgers...yummy) and had a hint of a craving coming along. I didn't give in to the urge. Yay!

Smiles and Aloha,
Wailana

Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

wailana,
I know what you're taking about. The cigarette after eating was one of the hardest habits I had to break. After I would eat supper, I'd go lay down to help break the habit of going to smoke. Keep up the good job! Don't let old nicodemon get to you!

Memaw

Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
(female)

Karen1711 HB User

Hang in there, Wailana! You can do it and if need be, switch to Chantix. I also tried Wellbutrin(and just about everything else!)and it had too many weird side effects for me. I continued to smoke as well.

Karen

Closed Thread