It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
(male)

JeffAnderson HB User
Quitting...

I know it's not smoking but I am in the process of quitting chewing and think the effect of quitting would be similar. I haven't chewed in three days and I feel awful. I'm feeling tired and very anxious. Also, I seem to be getting chest pains from it as well. (At least I hope it's from quitting and not a heart problem). Last night I went to the gym and used the elliptical for about 45 minutes and noticed my chest didn't really bother me more than it already was. Also, I am having problems sleeping at night because of it. Are these normal feelings when quitting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Quitting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAnderson View Post
I I am having problems sleeping at night because of it. Are these normal feelings when quitting?
Congrats on quitting JeffAnderson! Wonderful news! I never had the chest pains but I did have the sleep problems. I used the patch that steps you down from nicotine (it would probably work for chewing also) so it wasn't quite cold turkey like you are experiencing. Keep up the good work!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAnderson View Post
I know it's not smoking but I am in the process of quitting chewing and think the effect of quitting would be similar. I haven't chewed in three days and I feel awful. I'm feeling tired and very anxious. Also, I seem to be getting chest pains from it as well. (At least I hope it's from quitting and not a heart problem). Last night I went to the gym and used the elliptical for about 45 minutes and noticed my chest didn't really bother me more than it already was. Also, I am having problems sleeping at night because of it. Are these normal feelings when quitting?
Hi Jeff
Sounds like nicotine withdrawal to me. Chewing....smoking..... it's all the same to nicodemon. Three days without nicotine is a super giant step to becoming nicotine free!! Congratulations.
Here is a list of nicotine withdrawal symptoms:
Cravings to smoke (or in your case to chew)
Irritable, cranky
Insomnia
Fatigue
Inability to Concentrate
Headache
Cough
Sore throat
Constipation, gas, stomach pain
Dry mouth
Sore tongue and/or gums
postnasal drip
Tightness in the chest

Remain strong. Nicotine will try to draw you back in if it can. This time next week you should be feeling a little better. But for now, just take it one day at a time. Continue with the exercise. It will help with the withdrawals. Also drink lots of water or juice to help flush the nicotine and all the poisons in the tobacco out of your system. If the insomnia gets too bad, call your doctor and tell him/her that you have quit chewing and are having trouble sleeping. He/she might can prescribe a few sleeping pills to help get you over the hump.

Good luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 02-14-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Jeff,....

Congratulations to you too...I hear that giving up chew is even more difficult than quitting cigs...don't know how that can be true, [but I did read that more than once], so pats on back to you. Jeff, there are so many withdrawl symptoms, memaw's right about that. That chest discomfort could very well be anxiety from withdrawling from the nicotine also. I think if you had a heart condition, you would have that pain while you work out too, especially so. I didn't get it [chest pain] when I quit, but I did get it later from my health anxiety.

3 days is great.... that you have done that so far, woo-hoo, good for you...and things should start calming down a little pretty soon. They say it takes about 72 hours for people to flush out all the nico out of your system, but for some people that can take a little longer, too. If it gets too bad, think seriously about getting some NR ....the gum, patches,...there's all types of things out now to help you....I'd much rather see you do that than go back to the chew and destroy your health. If it wasn't for the patches and gum, I wouldn't be here on this board right now telling people that I quit 40 months ago.. (AND ALL THE BAD STUFF IS GONE NOW!!!......it's like I never really smoked before....YAY!) You will feel great some day too. Keep on fighting for yourself....you are worth it!

Deda

Closed Thread