It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
(male)

Nosmo King HB User
Chantix: What comes next?

What do you do after you kick the habit with Chantix? I have sampled most of the treads related to this drug but only find a little info on quitting Chantix. Looks like over half of users are having success for several weeks or even a few months. We all have some side effects but they don't stop most. Many fade of go away. Seems like virtually everyone who stay on Chantix for two months or more does lose the desire to smoke, at least while on the medication. After quitting many seem to have big problems, almost like a delayed withdrawal from nicotine.

So, if there are any double quitters out there (cigs and Chantix), I would love to have your experience and also any hints at how to best quit the drug. How long do you take it? Do you reduce the dose or quit cold turkey? Let's figure out how and when to know we are cured. Anyone out there who can help?

Nosmo King
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/images/smilies/blob_fire.gif[/url]

Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Chantix: What comes next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo King View Post
What do you do after you kick the habit with Chantix? I have sampled most of the treads related to this drug but only find a little info on quitting Chantix. Looks like over half of users are having success for several weeks or even a few months. We all have some side effects but they don't stop most. Many fade of go away. Seems like virtually everyone who stay on Chantix for two months or more does lose the desire to smoke, at least while on the medication. After quitting many seem to have big problems, almost like a delayed withdrawal from nicotine.

So, if there are any double quitters out there (cigs and Chantix), I would love to have your experience and also any hints at how to best quit the drug. How long do you take it? Do you reduce the dose or quit cold turkey? Let's figure out how and when to know we are cured. Anyone out there who can help?

Nosmo King
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/images/smilies/blob_fire.gif[/url]
Hi neighbor!!
Welcome to the boards!! This is a great place.
I have been quit smoking for 6 months 1 week and 5 days. I used the Chantix for 12 weeks. I had my last cigarette on August 14, 2006. How long have you been quit? How long have you been on the Chantix?

You ask about getting off the Chantix. My doctor had me to do this:
The last 4 days supply (8 pills) were split in half.
For 5 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 pill in the evening. (5 pills)
For 6 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning. (3 pills)

I had no trouble. I did not want to smoke when I got off the Chantix. It was no different than when I was on it. I still get what I call mini urges. They last for just a milli-second and then poof, they're gone.

If anyone else has completed their 12 weeks, please post how you got off. I'm curious to know how other people did it.

Memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Nosmo King
You asked about what happened when I forgot my Chantix. At 4am I awoke from a horrific nightmare and felt a sort of high anxiety. The next day I had waves of black depression that were much worse than you would expect from nicotine withdrawal. I am normally not a depressive type of person and I found it really scary. It's possible that it wasn't caused by lack of Chantix but it hasn't happened since.

I am now worrying about withdrawal too much I am sure but 2 days ago I cut off a third of a tab (not easy) I can tell the difference and I feel a bit down but it's not terrible. On 12th March I plan to take half tabs. If that works out I will take just the am dose from the 19th until the 26th of March and then finish

Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi Nosmo Smoke: I've got 2 months and a week to go before I start thinking about coming off Chantix, but I have concerns about it. I read something on another Board today that sounds like something I might try. This person stayed on Chantix for 4 months. During that 4th month, he started taking one a day for 2 weeks then reduced it to 1/2 a pill until he was finished up. Said he didn't have any Chantix "withdrawal", etc. Meemaw did something long those same lines, but she didn't continue the treatment for a 4th month. I just gotta think that tapering is better than abruptly stopping. I hope you'll continue to post to let us know how coming off the rx goes for you.

Best of Luck!!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
(female)

chantypals HB User

Well I took chantix for about 100 days and then tapered myself down to none over the course of a month. I have been smokefree for almost 6 months and chantix free for almost two months.

I was fine in the beginning, but have noticed a change in my "happy" attitude, but it could be a combination of many, many things - not sure at this point.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi Beth: Thanks so much for your reply. If you don't mind my asking, would you go into a little more detail about the loss of the happy mood? How about cravings and urges to smoke....any of that? Are you comfortable being without Chantix and being "on your own" so to speak?

I'm sooooooooooooooooo envious of you....100 DAYS!!!! F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!

Last edited by Trish M&M; 03-01-2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: MY MISTAKE: 6 MONTHS QUIT....EVEN BETTER THAN 100 DAYS

Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Yeah I'm envious too! And I don't want my Happy Feeling to go away! And I can't wait to say 6 months! or 100 days! Tomorrow will be my Day 7.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Welcome Nosmo King!! Congrats on the quit! How long do you have? Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing!!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
(female)

ShyDi HB User

Greetings,

I have been on Chantix for two months and am just amaized at how much it has
helped me to quit. I am going to take the pill for another 3 months. But I am
really scared to get off of it. I am thinking that I will get withdrawl symptoms
the same as if I had not taken the drug at all. I reallize that this is not a total
miracle drug and that I need to work at quiting as well. But taking Chantix has
helped so much that it has become like a security blanket that is hard for me to think about giving up.

I am scared.....I don't want to go back to smoking but if I have cravings like before I question whether I will have the strength to survive them without smoking.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDi View Post
Greetings,

I have been on Chantix for two months and am just amaized at how much it has helped me to quit.
Welcome to the HealthBoards and the Quitter's Club ShyDi! Congratulations on quitting smoking! Stay around for a lot of help when you are ready to go off the Chantix (I didn't use it but many people here did).

Come back often and let us know how you are doing!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Quote:
My sympathy for your creepy crawly experience. On PBS last week it was announced that smoking is more addictive than the hard core drugs....cocaine etc.. I believe it...
Welcome ShyDi!
I was thinking on your quote, and I have no doubt about the truth of it.
How many addicts of the hard-core drugs could run down to the corner store almost anywhere for another fix? And how many were able to use their drug-of-choice 20-40 or more times a day, in plain sight for most of their adult lives?
Most of us that started as (ahem!) 'young adults' have about every darned thing we have done AS adults linked in some way, before, after and during with smoking.
If I can quit this 'dumb habit' with tobacco, I'm not going to be afraid of giving up Chantix, comes the time I think I can do it.
But if I have problems getting off the Chantix, I know I can come back here and get help from others who've done it. This is the best tool I've tried for beating my habit; it sure has made it better having such great company on the same 'ride'!

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Old 03-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Greetings,

I have been on Chantix for two months and am just amaized at how much it has
helped me to quit. I am going to take the pill for another 3 months. But I am
really scared to get off of it. I am thinking that I will get withdrawl symptoms
the same as if I had not taken the drug at all. I reallize that this is not a total
miracle drug and that I need to work at quiting as well. But taking Chantix has
helped so much that it has become like a security blanket that is hard for me to think about giving up.

I am scared.....I don't want to go back to smoking but if I have cravings like before I question whether I will have the strength to survive them without smoking.
Hi ShyDi!! and Welcome to you!!
Congratulations on becoming a quitter. Two months is fantastic!!! Way to go!

I have been quit smoking for over 6 months now. I used Chantix. I have posted here before how I got off the Chantix. Let me know if you want to know how I did it. I have had no problems what so ever since I got off it. It was as if I was still taking it. I can't tell the difference. No sudden cravings that I feel that I have GOT to have a cigarette NOW. All the withdrawals happened while I was on the Chantix. If I ever do feel like I might be tempted to go back to smoking (but I know I won't do that!) I'll call my doctor and ask for some more Chantix! I did not know what to expect when I got off the Chantix. No one that I could find had taken it. My pharmacist couldn't help me either. The drug was just too new. I was soooooooo surprised when I did quit taking it and found that nothing drastic happened. YIPEE!! You're gonna be okay when it is time to get off the drug.
Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!!

Memaw

Old 03-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

I was in agreement w/ Rob until I read TrueBrit's response. So...who know?!? My "quit" has been sooooooooooooo easy. Yes, some side effects like everyone else has had, but the urges, etc., were easily manageable. (I had a few days last week that weren't quite as easy, but I'm much better now.) I remember a posting I made early on saying that this "magic" pill was incredible and it seemed almost too easy. I've got two months to go on Chantix and I'm terrified about stopping. I'm so afraid that the addiction is just gonna rear it's ugly head in full force. I know what others have said (like Meemaw) that she got urges and still gets them, but I'm just worried that it's gonna be like I was never on Chantix. Oh well....maybe I just need something to worry about.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm gonna stay on it 4 months and taper off during that 4th month. It might not make one whit of difference -- just stopping or tapering -- but I think it's gonna make me feel better.

True Brit: I hope you're successful in stopping the rx. I want to hear EVERY detail of what it's like. How much longer before you stop the med?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish M&M View Post
I was in agreement w/ Rob until I read TrueBrit's response. So...who know?!? My "quit" has been sooooooooooooo easy. Yes, some side effects like everyone else has had, but the urges, etc., were easily manageable. (I had a few days last week that weren't quite as easy, but I'm much better now.) I remember a posting I made early on saying that this "magic" pill was incredible and it seemed almost too easy. I've got two months to go on Chantix and I'm terrified about stopping. I'm so afraid that the addiction is just gonna rear it's ugly head in full force. I know what others have said (like Meemaw) that she got urges and still gets them, but I'm just worried that it's gonna be like I was never on Chantix. Oh well....maybe I just need something to worry about.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm gonna stay on it 4 months and taper off during that 4th month. It might not make one whit of difference -- just stopping or tapering -- but I think it's gonna make me feel better.

True Brit: I hope you're successful in stopping the rx. I want to hear EVERY detail of what it's like. How much longer before you stop the med?
Hi Trish
Of course I will post all details. Two weeks ago I cut one third of each pill and the only side effect was depression for a couple of days. Cravings were not significantly different except for on one day last weekend for some reason. By the end of next week I should be down to half dose. I have enough meds to last 4 weeks of that or longer if I feel the need to halve them again at the end. My local health shop recommended a product called Serotone 5HP to take at night to deal with depression. You can read about it on the net. I have used it 3 nights and I feel noticably generally happier. It really works for me. I am hoping it will negate any depression because it acts on serotone receptors but does not have side effects of anti depressant drugs. It also makes you sleep like a log which is why you take it only at night. Oddly I don't worry about cravings too much as we are frequently told that a craving is subconsious or because of habit so after 3 months logic would suggest that coming off Chantix won't be like quitting smoking over again because we have already overcome the worst. Anyway I am getting boring but I promise to open a new thread when I start the half pills.
Keep up the good work and perhaps we should heed Memaws advice and not "borrow" problems

Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

TrueBrit, I did not find your description boring in the least. It makes sense the Chantix would affect everyone differently to varying degrees. Thanks for sharing the information about Serotone 5HP. I have a health food store nearby me and will look into this. I really think your gradual withdrawal from Chantix combined with the Serotone 5HP is the best approach in your case. Please check back often and let us know how you're doing TrueBrit. You sure have been a real inspiration to all of us. Big pat on the back to you!!!

Thanks!!!

Kevin__

Closed Thread