It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ttrouten HB User
Trying to Quit, Just need an little encouragement.

Hi, new to this board. I have been smoking since I was a teenager, now Iam 35. I only quit when I had my children. After they were born started right back up. I hate it, everything about it, the smell, the taste, I feel guilty everytime I light up. I can't take anything to quit, I am very sensitive to EVERYTHING. I only smoke between 3 to 6 cigarettes a day. Even in my younger years when I smoked more, a pack of cigs would last me at least 2 or sometimes 3 days. I have tried to quit altogether many times but I am a nervous person sometimes and the last time I quit it was for about 3 months and I think I through my body into shock. Of course at that time, I was having thyroid problems to and trying to adjust medicine all the time, it was terrible. Now that my meds are somewhat right. I so desperatly want to quit without patches or anything but I'm afraid I will throw my body into shock again. Has anyone here ever done that by quitting smoking. I have tried the cut down. I only smoke 2 cigs a day some days. But that quitting altogether is so hard. I know that sounds strange but it is true. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really hate cigarettes, I don't smoke in my home because of my children, but how can I say ok this is it and never touch them again. I've tried that so many times. It works for a while, then boom, right back to it.
Thanks,
Terra

Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: Trying to Quit, Just need an little encouragement.

Hi Terra,

Welcome to this board - it's a great place!

When I quit using the patch, my body reacted very badly to it - mostly my thyroid. I have been using chantix and no problems (aside from insomnia) so far.

Have you tried the gum or lozenges? My suggestion would be to write down all the reasons you want to quit, write down what triggers you to smoke, and come up with a plan to deal with those times that doesn't include a smoke. If it's mostly tension - try yoga, or get more exercise if you can. Drink LOTS of water!

Good luck and keep us posted! deb+++++

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Hi Terra! Well you sound like me, I never smoked much either - I could go all day long at work and not smoke, no problem. But the second I got home, bam, right out the back door to have a smoke, barely get the mail and purse down on the counter. I have been quit for 5 days now. Started the Chantix and mentally prepared myself for it. This is it!! NO MORE SMOKING!! I'm tried of feeling like a leper in society. I would not hang out with the friends, because they didn't smoke, and I didn't think I could shopping all day without smoking, and certainly didn't want to smoke in front of them. You just have to make the decision and do it. Since you don't smoke that much, it should be fairly easy. It's probably more of just a habit, since you can smoke just 2 or 3 a day. The Chantix does help you stay off them, I don't know what it is, but it's been real easy - and everyone else is reporting the same thing. Long time smokers, easiest quit they've ever had. So, I give it a shot! And you'll get all the encouragement you can handle on this board. Everyone is so great!!!

Good luck to you on your decision to quit!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

ttrouten, if I can quit smoking anyone can. I smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years and my family thought I was a lost cause as far as quitting smoking goes.... I proved them wrong, 242 days.. one day at a time! You can do it when you are ready. Come back here for encouragement, it's the greatest board in the world with the greatest people!! Good luck!!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Terra,
Hi! Welcome to this board!! We're all here to help. If it just a little encourgement you need..be prepared....you will get LOTS!!! When you do smoke a cigarette, write down the reason you felt you had to smoked it. Then write down a better way to handle the situation. Keep the list handy.
Even though you are not smoking much, each cigarette you do smoke is harmful to you. You never know which one is going to be the one that causes: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Lung cancer, Cancer of the mouth, cancer of the pancreas, breast cancer, cervical cancer, stomach cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer, bladder cancer, leukemia, coronary heart disease, circulatory problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pneumonia, influenza, the common cold, peptic ulcers, tooth decay, gum disease, osteoporosis, sleep problems, cataracts.

Terra, you have got to be willing to do this for it to be successful. You can do it. Look at all the people on this board. They are doing it. I can be done!! There are people here who have gone cold turkey. If you don't want to do the nicotine replacement, or Chantix or wellbutrin, have you ever considered hypnosis or laser? There are numerous way out there to help you stop. But you have got to be willing to stop.

Good Luck to you and Please let us know how you are doing. We will encourage you all you want!!

Memaw

Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
(female)

wailana HB User

Aloha and welcome to the board. I use to smoke about 10 cigs a day for about about 12 years. Well, you stopped smoking before so you can do it! It sounds like you're ready. Many people on this board did really well with Chantix. Read a lot of literature about stop smoking on the internet. There's really great information out there. Visit this message board, there is a lot of support and encouragement. This message board is helping me.

Stay positive because you can do it!

Wailana - Free and Healing for Twenty Days and 11 Hours, while extending my life expectancy 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 205 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $53.03.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ttrouten HB User

I want to thank you all for your advice. I have alot of anxiety over quitting because the last time I quit it was because I found out I was hypthothyroid without many of the symtoms and I thought it was because of smoking so I quit cold turkey, I had such anxiety trying to deal with having a disease now, quitting smoking and going off birth control pills all at once that I threw my body into kinda like a shock. After about 3 months of going to numerous doctors thinking their was something more wrong with me and in and out of emergency rooms, I really thought I was dying, I just wanted to be like my old self again, after noone finding anything else wrong with me, and everyone telling me it is just anxiety that I through my body into shock, I caved and started smoking again to see if it would help. It did not really but now that I am feeling better I'm afaid to quit all the way again for fear of it coming back. I don't like to take meds. that is what started this whole thing in the first place when I found out I had to take a thyroid pill everyday for the rest of my life and wondering what I had done to my body. Now I read in a magazine that you should not take anything with beta caratene if you smoke because it increases your risk of lung cancer dramatically. I take vitamins and eat pretty healthy. Does this increase chances even more of lung cancer? That is scary!! I hate cigarettes everything about them, thats why I only smoke a few a day. They say you should back off them first but I don't smoke that much to back off. I am going to try the journal like a few of you have suggested, I hope it works because I really don't want to take anything.
I'm glad I came here, sorry this is so long, thank you for your support.
Terra

Old 03-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
(female)

tammydee HB User

Hello, I started smoking at 19 and quit at 35. I am now 43 on march 8th and that day is my 8th year of not smoking. I did it cold turkey and just like someone els said here it is one day at a time just say to yourself I can make it thriugh today, today I'm not going to smoke each and every day. What helpred me was I wanted to smoke when I drank coffee so I started drinking hot tea. I wanted to smoke in the car so I put an air freshner in it so it smelled good. I even quit drinking because alcohol made me want a cig. But let me tell you my sis ter was 11yrs older than me and she started smoking at 18 yrs She quit 4 months after me and with a year she had lung cancer and is now deceased since 2003. So the longer you do this habit the worse it is. It is very hard at first but it REALLY does get easier.As time goes on but it is a constant battle for probably a year but you can do it!!!!! Your stronger than that cigarette. You need to be there for your kids my sister left a 12yr old son and he was and is very sad. so keep it up YOU CAN DO IT

Old 03-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

tammydee,
Congratulations on being quit for 8 years!!
I'm very sorry about your sister. I guess we've all had a love one that has had smoking related illnesses. My aunt..died of lung cancer. My mom..die from an adominal aortic aneurism (smoking related)..my cousin died from mouth and throat cancer. And still I kept on smoking. How stupid is that!! But this addiction will hold tight as long as you will let it. I think making up my mind was the hardest part in quitting. I had tried and failed so many times. But my Daddy would always say...don't say you are gonna try to do something, that gives you a reason to fail. "I tried and couldn't do it." Make up you mind and say you are gonna do it and then just do it!! He always was strong willed!!

I too had to change my routine somewhat. Now I just go about my day without thinking about cigarettes at all.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Please come back often and inspire us all.

Memaw

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Terra,
You can quit!! You can do it!! Find what will work for you. How many do you smoke a day? Write down the time you smoke and the reason for smoking. Then eliminate one of those. In a few days eliminate another one. Keep doing this until you are able to quit completely. Give this a try.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for Terra?

Memaw

Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Terra honey, I know what you're going thru. You CAN and WILL beat this little nicodemon guy. You have to prepare yourself mentally for the quit. Pick a time when you can concentrate on you, that's Y-O-U....You are quitting for you and what a great present to give yourself. A healthy life for years to come. You can't think about what if, and I don't know, but I tried before, you have to say, "This is it for me." Once you do that, and getting past that first week of withdrawals, and habits, and sights and sounds and smells, it will become easier. I have heard about people wanting a cigarette after having quit for years, but it's just a passing thought. Like, gorging yourself on Halloween candy, we've all done it. Would we do it again? NO WAY...

Like Memaw said, make a list of why, where, when you are smoking. Think about each cigarette as you smoke it. Think long and hard about it - do I really need it? Do I feel better now after having it? Knowing your triggers and how to confront them is a big step.

Good luck to you, we are all here for you. This board is great, the people are great, it's nice to know you're not alone in the world going thru this.

Let us know how you're doing, come back and post your progress!

I have been quit for 1 week, 4 days, 3 hours, 32 minutes, 36 seconds

Closed Thread