It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
(female)

Mrsdew HB User
Chantix and Insurance Companies

My insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield didnt cover Chantix. When i called they faxed somethint to my Primary Care Doctor and then it went before like a board to see if they would cover..........they did... much to my surprise.

SO dont give up if your insurance deosnt cover, you can appeal it.

My reasons were this..........you wont cover the pill, but b/c i have one kidney and high blood pressure, you'll cover all these other thigns, you'll cover the cancer treatments but you wont cover the cost of the pill to potentially avoid these things.

AND if your insurance jsut doesnt cover it. Think of the $$ you'll save what you would have saved on butts in a month. It's about the same.

I was actually shocked that my doctor gave me the script. Last year i asked him for something for anxiety to get over the hump if i quit cold turkey (I CANNOT TAKE WELLBUTRIN) and he said nope yI'ts life you gotta do it on your own. I said ok what about something to take once in a while for regular anxiety, he said NOPE it's life you gotta do it on your own. In my laziness of looking for a new doctor, i had to go for soemthing else and asked him about Chantix. Usually he rushes out after the exam, but came right back and gladly gave me the script.

My pharmacist wasnt impressed that i filled it. Said it was too new a drug to know long term, i said well i'll take that chance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
(female)

LucyRoberts HB User
Re: Chantix and Insurance Companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsdew View Post
My insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield didnt cover Chantix. When i called they faxed somethint to my Primary Care Doctor and then it went before like a board to see if they would cover..........they did... much to my surprise.

SO dont give up if your insurance deosnt cover, you can appeal it.

My reasons were this..........you wont cover the pill, but b/c i have one kidney and high blood pressure, you'll cover all these other thigns, you'll cover the cancer treatments but you wont cover the cost of the pill to potentially avoid these things.

AND if your insurance jsut doesnt cover it. Think of the $$ you'll save what you would have saved on butts in a month. It's about the same.

I was actually shocked that my doctor gave me the script. Last year i asked him for something for anxiety to get over the hump if i quit cold turkey (I CANNOT TAKE WELLBUTRIN) and he said nope yI'ts life you gotta do it on your own. I said ok what about something to take once in a while for regular anxiety, he said NOPE it's life you gotta do it on your own. In my laziness of looking for a new doctor, i had to go for soemthing else and asked him about Chantix. Usually he rushes out after the exam, but came right back and gladly gave me the script.

My pharmacist wasnt impressed that i filled it. Said it was too new a drug to know long term, i said well i'll take that chance.

Good for you MrsDew! You obviously want to quit if you fought the evil insurance company! My insurance didn't cover it but my Wellness Plan at my hubby's works reimburses for it thank god!
I'm sitting here shaking my head at your doctor! Why would he not give you a ittle something to help you quit smoking?? My doctor was practically doing back flips writing the script and even gave me my first months free!

Either way, you have it now and you are going to do great. Keep coming back here and getting the support you need!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

Mrsdew HB User

HI lucy

I KNOW. How floored was I and everyone else when i told them about my doctor.

he actually told me that smoking was the BEST stress releif than any other medication he could give me. I was like YOU ARE KIDDING? I will get stress relief, but kill myself slowly? He's like unfortuntatly.

As you can tell i am not THRILLED with my doctor, but i just hate changing doctors. It's like bra shopping, something i dread.

Trace

Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
(female)

Skimmer HB User

MrsDew - I also have BCBS insurance, and they told me the same thing. But unfortunately, I don't have a primary care physician, and the walk-in clinic that i went to the doctor there wouldn't fill out the form for me to get the drug covered. My husband and I are both forking out the entire cost, but like you said, it's cheaper than smoking and paying for all the medical bills later in life!!

I cannot believe that doctor said that about smoking is the best stress reliever! He must be a smoker! That used to shock me too - how many nurses and doctors were smokers. How crazy is that??

Old 03-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsdew View Post
As you can tell i am not THRILLED with my doctor, but i just hate changing doctors.
Wow, wow, wow!! I would change doctors, it's your life you and he are dealing with!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
(female)

wailana HB User

I'm so speechless about your doctor! Well, you got your Chantix and that's great. I agree with the posters here, get a new doctor, when you're ready. I know how it is to change doctors. However, when you find the right one, it'll all be worth it. Anyways, happy to hear that you choose to stop smoking...keep it up.

Wailana - Free and Healing for Twenty Five Days, 8 Hours and 13 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 253 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $65.71.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Tracy,
That doctor need to be reported to the AMA! He took an oath to "Do no harm." Change as fast as you can!! He is just out for the buck!! He is not interested in your health one bit.
I was the first one to take a prescription of Chantix to my pharmacist. It was that new. I live in a town that is a suburb of Memphis. So it's not just some small town. Needless to say, my insurance did not cover it. But I would spend it again.

Considering how unconcerned your doctor is, I'm very glad that he gave you the prescription for the Chantix. You just keep come here and posting how you are doing. We care!!

Memaw

Closed Thread