It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

Julianna823 HB User
Starting Chantix THIS WEEKEND!

Hello everyone,
My first post here, although I've read many of the success stories. Congratulations to everyone who has quit!! I finally got up the nerve to have the scrip filled, and planning to start it Friday so I have the weekend to find out how it will affect me, such as dreams/insominia, nausea, etc. It sounds like everyone has different side effects, but since the goal is to get rid of the cigarettes, I'm hoping I can handle just about anything! I've smoked since I was 13, and I'll turn 40 this year, so it's time. It's disturbing to think that I watched my father and my first husband die from smoking-related heart problems and even THAT didn't make me want to quit. I'm horrified to admit that I didn't quit smoking when I was pregnant, that I used smoking as a crutch and an excuse and a best friend, all rolled into one! I can't beleive that nicotine is so powerful that it wraps itself around your brain and refuses to let go, and now the cig makers are putting MORE into them than ever before. If Chantix works for me, I will recommend it to EVERYONE I know. Because if I can kick this addiction, then anyone can! My goal is to use this wonderful site as a sort of therapy, because we're going through the same thing. Sorry this first post is so long! It all just came spilling out! This is my FIRST STEP.....

Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
(female)

wailana HB User
Re: Starting Chantix THIS WEEKEND!

Welcome to the board and congratulations on choosing to stop smoking! This board has a lot of supportive people. If you have any questions or concerns, just post them...you'll get a lot of replies. Again, welcome!

Wailana - Free and Healing for Twenty Five Days, 23 Hours and 15 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 260 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $67.33.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

WELCOME ABOARD JULIANNA
Don't beat yourself up about all those illogical things you used to do when you smoked. It's drug addiction. We all wish we could turn back the clock but you are about to gain so much and we are all here to help you along the way to a new life of energy, self respect, better health and FREEDOM.
GOOD LUCK

Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Welcome Julianna,
CONGRATS on your decision to be FREE!
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and first husband. The past is the past, but now you are taking positive steps towards being healthy - focus on that.
Have a plan for alternatives to smoking, drink lots of water and come here often - it's a great place and it has been an incredible source of support for me, through laughter and tears.
Keep us posted, and welcome to the quitters team!
deb

Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User

Hi Juliana,
Congratulations on deciding that you finally want to quit. If you start on Friday, that would mean that your first day without a smoke would be on a Saturday. That would be more difficult for me unless I worked all weekend. For me, I had my last one on a Tuesday night before I went to bed. Just something to think about. Maybe other people might have a different slant on this. Just thinking out loud. Once again congratulations joining the smoke free club!!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Tom, I made sure my quit day was on a Monday so I would be busy at work - good point!
deb

Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

freeforme HB User

My quit date was on Monday as well. I must say however, I only had 5 cigerattes the weekend prior to smoking because I just did not want them, they tasted so bad and I was easily a pack a day smoker.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Welcome Julianna823!!!! What a great decision to quit smoking! Keep coming back here, there are so many people so knowledgable about Chantix and quitting in general!! Hope to see you around these parts!!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Actually a weekend quit worked great for me because I needed to be 100% paying attention to not smoking and taking care of me. So I think whatever works and welcome to the Quitters club!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Welcome Julianna823!!!!

I was going to wait for my quit until a Monday, just so I could get thru one last weekend smoking away, but then my husband made his quit day on a Friday and so did my sister, so I said, what the heck, I'll give it a shot! That was really my true test - if I could go a whole weekend, when I used to smoke alot on the weekends, then I knew I could do it. Once you get past the initial shock of you're no longer a smoker, it's pretty easy to handle it. I'm not really having any urges anymore either. I don't think about it, although I was just sitting on the dock by the water, and the thought of a cig crossed my mind. I sat out there and smoked many a smoke, but no more. I feel great that I've made this healthy decision to quit smoking - and I'm 44 yrs old and have been smoking since my 20's.

I'm glad you're here - this board is great! And keep posting for all the other newcomers. I think people start relating to something they read, or if they read enough of it, they think, "Hey, it's working for all those people, it can work for me too!" It helps having so many nice people encouraging and praising your little baby steps along the way. And it's also funny to hear what side effects people are having (like gas - hehehehe), I don't have that problem, luckily!!!

Good luck to you....

Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Julianna823,
Welcome!! I'm thrilled you decided to join us here. As you can see, everyone is very supportive. We will all help you in any way we can. We have been where you are going so we know what it is like. Hopefully you won't have any side effects from the Chantix. Some people don't. Some have just a few but they are not enough to stop taking the pill. A lot of people think they are having side effects from the Chantix when in reality they are having nicotine withdrawals. Be sure to drink plenty of water and juice. It helps to flush the toxins out of your body.
Good Luck to you and keep posting.

Memaw

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
(female)

Marguerite J HB User

Julianna,
Congrats and way to go on deciding to quit!!!! You can do it, just take it one step at a time. Don't feel alone all of here are here to help you. I am 48 and similar to you I started smoking when I was 14. I am only on day 3 of the first week using Chantix (start day 4 tomorrow) and I already know I can beat the ole nicotine demon into the ground using this. Good luck and don't be s stranger.
Marguerite

Closed Thread