It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
(female)

paulagizmo HB User
Chantix (Reducing/Stopping)

I am at 3 weeks, 2 1/2 days. I've had the nausea and some other very short-lived side effects but now am getting a 'rash'. Not sure 'rash' is the right word as when I think of rash, I think of small bumps. This is more red splotches on my face. Sort of like rosacea but not as bad. THis just started yesterday but seems to be spreading a bit.

I also forgot my evening pill on Sat. and Sun. nights and didn't seem to have any adverse effect from missing it. I'm tempted to reduce down to 1 pill and then possibly stop altogether but am a bit nervous. I think Skimmer made a good point that it's all willpower now. My other fear is that w/o being conscious of it until quitting, I've felt very stressed all the time for the past couple of years. I feel so much better now and I wonder is that due to quitting or to Chantix? I'm afraid to wean/stop too early but I also am not liking this rash on my face either. Any words of advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: Chantix (Reducing/Stopping)

I would check with your Dr if your worried about the rash. I did not use Chantix but my hubby did. He took it for 1 week, quit smoking and then on week four cut the pills in half and finish them. He was only on it and has almost 2 months quit.

It does have alot to do with willpower and giving into the drug (nicotine) it is a hard one. But as with any drug I think you should taper but check with your Dr. You should not continue Chantix if it is causing a rash!!!

Good luck! And congrates on the quit...it does get better. I am 6 months quit and loving it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulagizmo View Post
I am at 3 weeks, 2 1/2 days. I've had the nausea and some other very short-lived side effects but now am getting a 'rash'. Not sure 'rash' is the right word as when I think of rash, I think of small bumps. This is more red splotches on my face. Sort of like rosacea but not as bad. THis just started yesterday but seems to be spreading a bit.

I also forgot my evening pill on Sat. and Sun. nights and didn't seem to have any adverse effect from missing it. I'm tempted to reduce down to 1 pill and then possibly stop altogether but am a bit nervous. I think Skimmer made a good point that it's all willpower now. My other fear is that w/o being conscious of it until quitting, I've felt very stressed all the time for the past couple of years. I feel so much better now and I wonder is that due to quitting or to Chantix? I'm afraid to wean/stop too early but I also am not liking this rash on my face either. Any words of advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Oh Paula Poor you
Rash is listed as one of the less common side effects. If it was me I would split a pill in half and take twice a day for a few days and see how it goes. You definitely do not want to risk being tempted back to smoking for the sake of a temporary skin rash. If it gets worse you will obviously have to re-think. Oddly, I have had quite a few spots on my face the last couple of weeks. Perhaps it is a symptom of detoxing nicotine.
As for feeling calm, I do too. A bit too laid back in fact. My gut feeling is that it is due to not having cigarettes releasing adrenaline into the blood stream every hour. 2 weeks ago I started cutting a third off each pill to start the process of withdrawing from Chantix. After the initial shock I don't feel any different. Next week I start on half pills so we will see.
Don't do anything rash - oops sorry!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
Oh Paula Poor you
Don't do anything rash - oops sorry!!!!
ROTFLM[smoke free]AO! That was hysterical!

I will wait a couple of days and see if it gets worse/gets better (maybe not related?) and then decide if I'll try the 'weaning' approach you mention though---cutting off a 1/3 etc.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyne View Post
I would check with your Dr if your worried about the rash. I did not use Chantix but my hubby did. He took it for 1 week, quit smoking and then on week four cut the pills in half and finish them. He was only on it and has almost 2 months quit.

It does have alot to do with willpower and giving into the drug (nicotine) it is a hard one. But as with any drug I think you should taper but check with your Dr. You should not continue Chantix if it is causing a rash!!!

Good luck! And congrates on the quit...it does get better. I am 6 months quit and loving it!!!
Thanks! and congrats on 6 months---that's awesome!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
ROTFLM[smoke free]AO! That was hysterical!

I will wait a couple of days and see if it gets worse/gets better (maybe not related?) and then decide if I'll try the 'weaning' approach you mention though---cutting off a 1/3 etc.

Thanks!
If you decide to cut off a third watch your fingers. Pill cutters only cut tablets in half I think so I use a small sharp knife to score the film coating on each side and then snap the tab.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Paula,
Oh, bless your heart!! I hope it is not the Chantix. Have you eaten something that might have caused it? If the "rash" lasts for more than a couple of days, call your doctor!!! You are doing so good in your quit!! I think you would continue with it even if you had to get off the Chantix. You are almost at the one month mark. KUDOS to you for the excellent job you've done!!
Let us know what you decide. You know we are all here for you!!

Memaw

Old 03-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #8
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Thanks everyone. I knew I"d get some great advice here!

Memaw I was thinking that exact thing: maybe it isn't caused by the Chantix! Funny thing is sometimes reading posts here about various side effects, I wondered if people sometimes jump the gun assuming it's a Chantix side effect and here I am doing the same thing! Shame on me---

It is better today and as long as it doesn't reappear will assume it was unrelated.

I did forget to take my Chantix again last night until much later than the time I normally take it so I didn't bother. I think I may just try getting by with the the one (a.m.) pill. My side effects have been pretty minimal so it's not that -- it's just that since I've forgotten 3x in the past week to take the p.m. pill and have been doing fine, I figure why bother. I will of course jump right back in should I feel I need them!!!! Too many smoke free days (24!!) under my belt to go back to the drawing board now!

Old 03-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #9
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Hi Paula,
How was your birthday weekend? Hope you had a wonderful time!
I have cut back to 1 mg/day because of the insomnia. It's been about a week now. I noticed some crankiness in the morning, and some fatigue last weekend. I now take chantix in the morning and st johns wort in the afternoon. That has helped with my mood and energy. I still have thoughts of smoking, but I shake them off. I am also sleeping better.
Take care, and I hope your rash goes buh bye!
deb

Old 03-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I knew I"d get some great advice here!

Memaw I was thinking that exact thing: maybe it isn't caused by the Chantix! Funny thing is sometimes reading posts here about various side effects, I wondered if people sometimes jump the gun assuming it's a Chantix side effect and here I am doing the same thing! Shame on me---

It is better today and as long as it doesn't reappear will assume it was unrelated.

I did forget to take my Chantix again last night until much later than the time I normally take it so I didn't bother. I think I may just try getting by with the the one (a.m.) pill. My side effects have been pretty minimal so it's not that -- it's just that since I've forgotten 3x in the past week to take the p.m. pill and have been doing fine, I figure why bother. I will of course jump right back in should I feel I need them!!!! Too many smoke free days (24!!) under my belt to go back to the drawing board now!
24 smokefree days is fantastic Paula. I can remember when you were just starting out. It will soon be a month and that is a big milestone for withdrawal symptoms disappearing. After one month you start to feel that you might actually be able to enjoy life without cigarettes.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:14 AM   #11
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangojunky View Post
Hi Paula,
How was your birthday weekend? Hope you had a wonderful time!
I have cut back to 1 mg/day because of the insomnia. It's been about a week now. I noticed some crankiness in the morning, and some fatigue last weekend. I now take chantix in the morning and st johns wort in the afternoon. That has helped with my mood and energy. I still have thoughts of smoking, but I shake them off. I am also sleeping better.
Take care, and I hope your rash goes buh bye!
deb
Thanks Deb. B'day was great! I am still 'indulging' so my plans of diet/exercise are still being procrastinated about! Hee!

Rash is much better today so I'm hoping it's on the way out and perhaps it wasn't even caused by Chantix. I am also thinking of stopping the p.m. pill as I've forgotten it 3x and seem to be doing fine w/o it. How long have you been taking St. John's wort? Do you find that it does help with mood? I think I'm in periomenopause and my moods have been 'flighty'. The Chantix seemed to help that but that effect seems to be wearing off.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #12
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
24 smokefree days is fantastic Paula. I can remember when you were just starting out. It will soon be a month and that is a big milestone for withdrawal symptoms disappearing. After one month you start to feel that you might actually be able to enjoy life without cigarettes.
Thanks TrueBrit! Hee, now I feel like an old timer! I do feel like a non-smoker (99% of the time) and that is a wonderful feeling! Those 1% doubts from the nicodemon are far and few between and getting weaker and weaker (HA HA) with each passing day!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:52 AM   #13
(female)

rdbroxton HB User

Way to go everybody on continuing to be smoke free!!! I hope you had a Happy Birthday Paula!!
Tues. I forgot to take my am pill so I got home and decided to go a day without taking it and I was fine. The next day I decided that I would start taking one a day in the am. Yesterday I was really grouchy when I woke up and mad at the world. I think that was due to missing my dose and cutting back. I have continued to take just my morning dose yesterday (my mood improved) and today and it seems that it has helped with the moodiness. I am going to see if this works for me because I am also tired of not being able to sleep through the night.
Rhonda

Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Hey Paula
Talking of perimenopause, you didn't happen to notice symptoms as soon as you quit did you?
If so we might have the makings of an interesting thread. I am 45 by the way.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
(female)

Skimmer HB User

I have stopped taking the Chantix too after 3 weeks - only because I was forgetting to take it too. It has been 3 days since I took one, and I feel no difference other than a little more tired, but I was up late a couple of nights this week, so that could be it. I don't feel any urges or cravings either - I think I'll just do without and see how it goes. My mood was a little cranky I guess - I bit my sister's head off when she asked why I quit taking it, and my hubby wouldn't get out of bed to take the trash out this morning, before the garbage came, and I got a little mad, but nothing major....

Doing good!!

1 week, 6 days, 6 hours, 39 minutes, 52 seconds

Closed Thread