It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User
Chantix Newbie

Okay, today is the day. I got my script filled for Chantix (insurance did not pay for it..$127.00) but I really need to get this monkey off my back. I took my first pill after lunch and will try to get that into the morning hours. I keep reading about all the side effects and nausea seems to be a biggie. Can you take Pepto Bismol to counteract that feeling?? I hate nausea more than anything.

Any fresh ideas out there? I keep reading wonderful things on this board about how good Chantix works. ANY encouragement one can give me I would appreciate!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
(female)

paulagizmo HB User
Re: Chantix Newbie

Welcome! Congrats on taking the healthiest plunge of your life! Keep reading and participating here and taking your pills and you will do great!!!

Just a word re: the $. If you have a discount warehouse in your area (BJ's, Costco, Sam's) and they have an Rx dept. you may save yourself a few dollars. An Rx here in Boston was $127 at Stop & Shop; however, someone led me to Costco and it's $100.

Hooray for you and keep on 'posting'!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

LucyRoberts HB User

Welcome! The nausea is different for everyone on how extreme it is. Regarding the pepto though, I would really not recommend it. Pepto Bismol is an anti-diahrheal (sp?) and Chantix can also cause constipation... these two do not go hand in hand. You might try to find an anti nausea med that does not effect your stools I guess? But, the nausea may not really effect you if you are lucky!

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

Thank you for those words...you don't know how much the support means to me. And brother do I need it....have no support in family.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

freeforme HB User

My nausea has not been bad. Just be sure to drink LOTS of water and eat befroe you take the medicine. The only time I have felt sick was on an empty stomach or I did not take with water. You will find all the suport you need here, this bunch is Great!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Hey Massie....the nausea for me was just a mild few minutes after taking the Chantix, even with food, I was taking it during my meal, but found waiting until after I had finished eating helped alot. Plus, it was only a little bit of "I don't feel so good" for like 3 minutes worth! Then it's gone! I never threw up, nor did I feel like it. Just like you ate something that didn't agree with you, for a short minute or two.

Good luck on your quit, and this board is a great friend to help you thru it! Everyone is awesome!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Congratulations !!!

When I quit I was spending about $30 a week on patches but then again I wasn't spending $30 a week on cigs. Good luck and keep coming back!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Welcome
I'm so happy to see another quitter join us here! I does my heart good!
Is today the first day of taking the Chantix or is it your first day for quitting?
Either way, you've taken a giant step to becoming healthy!! Congratulatons on that!
Each person responds differently to the Chantix. You will just have to see how it affects you. Some people have no or just light side effects. Hopefully you will be one of those people!!!
I think I agree with Lucy on the Pepto. Someone else on this board said peppermint was good for nausea. I drank Sprite for the nausea. That helped me. And like someone else said, it didn't last that long.
Eating and drinking lots of water is the key!!!
Good Luck to you!! And keep posting!

Memaw

Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User

I agree with the other posters that say take your pill after you eat not before or during. Not too much after though. Take it right after. That sure worked wonders for me.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 AM   #10
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Hi Massies! Congrats on your decision to be FREE from cigs!

I found that I too had slight nausea, but it was mainly when I was taking chantix and still smoking. It mostly went away once I quit. I recommend oatmeal in the morning before you take your pill! LOTS OF WATER!

You'll do GREAT!
deb

Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

That's good info to know. I have a rot gut stomach so if I just follow directions and drink and eat first, I should be fine. I am so psyched (sp?) about quitting and all of the people and what they have written about Chantix just has me flying. I did join the Chantix site but let's face it , that is just talking to a computer. I am going to stay connected to all of you for my support. My incentive is to lower my blood pressure. Thanks again...Maasie

Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeforme View Post
My nausea has not been bad. Just be sure to drink LOTS of water and eat befroe you take the medicine. The only time I have felt sick was on an empty stomach or I did not take with water. You will find all the suport you need here, this bunch is Great!
That's good info to know. I have a rot gut stomach so if I just follow directions and drink and eat first, I should be fine. I am so psyched (sp?) about quitting and all of the people and what they have written about Chantix just has me flying. I did join the Chantix site but let's face it , that is just talking to a computer. I am going to stay connected to all of you for my support. My incentive is to lower my blood pressure. Thanks again...Maasie

Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #13
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

I didn't even consider my blood pressure as part of my quit but am happy to report that it has come down (not enough to go off the damned pills but better anyway). My heart rate drops is huge. Typical readings were 115-120 and now they are 80-85. The Chantix site: I joined it as well but then found this board and now I don't even bother with that site--it's down 1/2 the time too. Anyway, welcome and congrats/good luck on your quit!

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

The support of ALL of you is just great! What more could a quitter ask for. I am just on day two of the first packet and still smoking. I don't find that I have the urge as usual however. I have never tried quitting before because I felt the patch just replaced the nicotine thru the skin instead of the lungs plus, the fear of failure. After reading each and every posting about Chantix on this site how could I not try? If it works for me, and I am sure it will, I am buying some Pfizer stock to be sure! I don't give a whit about gaining weight! That's an issue that can be dealt with later. Thanks again to each and everyone that has given me the confidence and support that I need! You're the best!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulagizmo View Post
Maasies: I didn't even consider my blood pressure as part of my quit but am happy to report that it has come down (not enough to go off the damned pills but better anyway). My heart rate drops is huge. Typical readings were 115-120 and now they are 80-85. The Chantix site: I joined it as well but then found this board and now I don't even bother with that site--it's down 1/2 the time too. Anyway, welcome and congrats/good luck on your quit!
The heart rate decrease is SIGNIFICANT! That alone is worth it. That is so encouraging to me. I no that I will never be able to go off BP med....can't fight a gene as they say. But maybe, just maybe I can lower my dose of Lisinopril from 20mg a day to 10mg. I just hate taking pharmaceutical drugs! Something not quite natural about them. Plus doc's are the biggest pill pushers in the world. Think they get a kick back?

Closed Thread