It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

ziggie40 HB User
Unhappy Stroke/chantix

Dose anyone know of people who had had a stroke from taking chantix or has their dotor told them it could happen?

Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
(male)

Kevin__ HB User
Re: Stroke/chantix

Ziggie,

I have read quite a few threads on this board and research Chantix very thoroughly and have found no incidence of stroke incurred by any one taking it. My doctor had not either.

If you are in the least bit concerned however, then I strongly recommend you ask your doctor. Your doctor would be more likely to know how you, (or others for that matter) would respond to Chantix.

Kevin__

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

skg1063 HB User

Hi ziggy. Actually both of my parents are taking Chantix. My dad had a stroke a couple of years ago, and the Dr still prescribed him Chantix. I would assume that someone who has had a stroke already is considered a high risk for having another, btu I am no dr. But with that said his Dr did infact prescribe it, so I dont really think there is any higher risk of having a stroke.

I would contact your Dr just in case

Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

ziggie, welcome to the HealthBoards! Have you had any problems with Chantix?

Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
(female)

ziggie40 HB User

Yes I had a stroke after 12 days on Chantix. I'm only 47. The dr's have done all kinds of tests and can't find anything. Just wondering if anyone else has had a stroke after taking Chantix

Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Wow Ziggie, I am really sorry to hear that. A stroke is listed as a rare side effect in the drug literature, but I couldn't tell you if it was related or coincidental for you. Was it a bad stroke? Not that any are good, but just curious and keep us posted.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Holy cow Ziggie, I sure am sorry to hear about that. I have been reading posts on this board for a couple months now and this is the first time I have heard about some one having a stroke. I'll bet it scared the tar out of you. Have you quit using the Chantix? Are you still smoking? Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Kevin__

Old 03-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

ziggie,
So sorry to hear about the stroke!
I have not heard of anyone else having a stroke from taking the Chantix. You are the first.
I appreciate your posting this. This is a fairly new drug and although it does list stroke as one of the rare side effects it is always more informative to hear it from someone that has gone through it. But it could be you would have had the stroke even if you had kept on smoking and not been on the Chantix.
Hope you don't have any lasting effects from the stroke. Are you still not smoking? Hope so!!

Memaw

Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
(female)

luvmyyorkie HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your stroke! Did it leave you with any residual or have you completely recovered?

I haven't heard either of anyone having a stroke from taking Chantix but I would think you're at an even greater risk for having one because of smoking cigarettes (but could have even recently quit) than you would be because of the medication.

Last edited by luvmyyorkie; 03-13-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi luvmyyorkie,
How have you been doing? Haven't seen you on the board lately.

Memaw

Old 03-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
(female)

ziggie40 HB User

Hi Menaw,
I'm doing very well thank You. Thanks to all that have asked about me. Back to about 95% now.Just had my last test today. The Dr. said that I'm health as a horse. Still they can't find any reason for the Stroke. All the tests are very good. Still smoking 5 a day. But that's better than a pack. I'm hoping to get down to 0 a day.
Thanks again Ziggie

Old 03-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

ziggie,
I'm glad you've had no lasting effects from the stroke!! Thank the Good Lord for that.
If you are only smoking 5 a day, try this. Each time you do light up, notice WHY you are smoking. Is it after eating? Or talking on the phone? Is it that you NEED it? Or just WANT it? Then try to put it off for one just hour. Change when or where you smoke. Then when you finally give up that last cigarette, it won't be so hard.
But you need to quit as soon as you can. The 5 you are currently smoking will soon lead to a pack.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Closed Thread