It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

freeforme HB User
Savings for Cigerattes-What will you do with it?

Just curious, what is everyone doing with the money they are saving but not buying smokes? I figured I was spending about 140.00 average a month so what I am going to do is put an additional $50.00 a month in my daughters college fund and put an additional 100.00 a month into a non-retirement mutual fund I have started for "emergency savings". I know it sounds pretty boring but I figured I better start saving for a rainy day because if it started raining tomorrow I would not have a boat yet alone a paddle to save me, LOL.

My car will be paid off in 2 months so I figured I could use that money to treat myself to some nice things for my reward of not smoking.

Almost done with day 4 YAHOO and still going strong

Old 03-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Savings for Cigerattes-What will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeforme View Post
Almost done with day 4 YAHOO and still going strong
Congrats on the 4 days freeforme, that is awesome!! I haven't thought what I'll do with the extra $120 - $150 a month; retirement would be a good place now that I might make it there since I quit smoking!!

Great thread!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Is this guy ---> smoking or is that a New Year's Eve noisemaker in his mouth? LOL

Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

the black widow HB User

I plan on buying myself a new bottle of cologne so that I can smell nice and fresh all day long instead of walking around smelling like an ashtray!!!

Another idea is to treat yourself to a nice dinner once a week or so with the extra money you've saved.

My .02

J

Old 03-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
(female)

wailana HB User

Aloha Everyone! I just made 1 month today...yipee!!! So far, I saved approximately $73 (I smoked about half a pack a day). I've been buying me little treats, like lunch or a sweet dessert. I noticed that I have a little bit of money left before my pay day, which is always good. I guess I'll use the rest just to pay down my debt.
Question....how are people saving their money? In a jar, or just go by a quit counter that displays the money you have saved? I'm just going by my quit counter. Any suggestions would be great.

Wailana - Free and Healing for One Month, 10 Hours and 56 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 285 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $73.79.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
(female)

freeforme HB User

I am just going by the quit meter, but I also know that I was spending approximately 7.00 per day on the average because on the weekends I smoke more if I was drinking. That is why I am putting my in savings, otherwise I don't think I would see the money I am saving. I will get the money taken directly out of my checking account every month, otherwise I am not disiplined enough to put it back on my own.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
(female)

mangojunky HB User

I am saving about $100/month. As long as I don't keep treating myself, I hopefully can save up to pay for projects around the house. I am getting a massage next Tue on my 3 week quit anniversary. I really need to stop shopping - but it has been great therapy!
deb

Old 03-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

I sort of have 2 methods to my madness: 1. Right now Iím saving about $50/month ($150 cigs. Vs. $100 for Chantix) so have been treating myself to small things (scratch ticket) about once a week.

Once Iím done with the Chantix, I plan on opening a separate bank account and that $/account will be for Xmas shopping so I wonít keep using the damned credit cards!

Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #9
(female)

Marguerite J HB User

My quit date is 3-11-07 and what I plan to do with the money I save from not smoking is spend some on it on Interior Design studies (books, paints (wee have to various paint techniques in our studying), etc) and work on the house little by little as money is saved to do so.

Marguerite

Old 03-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
(female)

freeforme HB User

Good idea Paula,

You know I am emberrased to say, but I "charged" my cigerattes. I used to pay off this one credit card every month (You can already see where I am going with this) well, when gas started getting so expensive ( I would charge my gas too) and my electric bill last summer starting running me on average 400-500 a month, I could no longer afford to pay off that credit card each month. I now have LOTS of debt on that card and the sad thing is I am now paying intereset on my cigerattes Credit Cards in my eyes are the second evil in my life, Cigerattes first, credit cards second. Good Point though, I did not think that I will still be spending the 100+ on the Chantix so I may have to hold off putting my money in my investments for a couple of more months, but that's okay

Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeforme View Post
Good idea Paula,

You know I am emberrased to say, but I "charged" my cigerattes. I used to pay off this one credit card every month (You can already see where I am going with this) well, when gas started getting so expensive ( I would charge my gas too) and my electric bill last summer starting running me on average 400-500 a month, I could no longer afford to pay off that credit card each month. I now have LOTS of debt on that card and the sad thing is I am now paying intereset on my cigerattes Credit Cards in my eyes are the second evil in my life, Cigerattes first, credit cards second. Good Point though, I did not think that I will still be spending the 100+ on the Chantix so I may have to hold off putting my money in my investments for a couple of more months, but that's okay
You are so right===credit cards are definitely EVIL, almost as bad as the nicodemon! I was completely debt free after my divorce and now find myself right back to square 1. I swear this time when they're gone, I'm done! You know that even $0 open cards affect your score? Anyway so I called 3 store cards to have them 'close' the account plus one MAJOR card that I paid off with my tax refund and what do I get: a hard time. Can you believe it? They're going on and on of 'why' and "why they are so great". Oh boy could I go on and on! But at least we're healthier debt holders!

Old 03-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

I have a grandaughter starting college in the fall. I'm giving my money to her. She'll need it. By the way, if ya'll will let me brag a little bit. She graduates high school in May. There are 291 in her class. She is graduating 14th out of 291. We are so proud of her!! So she deserves this money!! She's worked very hard all through high school. She is on the color guard team, the band, the student council, and she works after school!!

Memaw

Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
There are 291 in her class. She is graduating 14th out of 291. We are so proud of her!!
Memaw, I would be surprised if any child/grandchild of yours was not very smart and did not have the "smarts" about them. You are a very intelligent lady who can teach what she knows to children, grandchildren and even us quitters.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I forgot to mention Congratulations to Memaw's Grandaughter!!!!

Last edited by SanyBelle; 03-09-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
(female)

sunstar1946 HB User

I've opened up a 401k finally!

Closed Thread