It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
(female)

wailana HB User
Has anyone noticed a change in behavior since quitting?

Aloha everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had changes in behavior since quitting. My husband has told me I'm much more calmer, I flip out less and become nicer. I do feel I'm different, not so on the edge. Did the nicotine turned me into a mean person?

~~Discover how strong you can be~~
Wailana - Free and Healing for One Month, 11 Hours and 10 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 285 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $73.81.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
(female)

paulagizmo HB User
Re: Has anyone noticed a change in behavior since quitting?

That's so funny. That is exactly my situation as well. I am def. calmer and do feel less stressed. I fear that it's Chantix and when I go off, I'll go back to how I felt (which when I didn't know any better seemed normal)! But I have been only taking 1 pill/day and so far I feel the same. Maybe it's just letting go of the addiction!

Either way, hooray for you---one month quit! Go out and celebrate or at a minimum treat yourself to something super nice this weekend!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User

I feel alot calmer now. Having some brain fog, but it seems to be getting better. Took half of my evening pill and slept alot better.

I've actually had some very pleasing side effects since I quit chewing and smoking. Because I quit I now drink much less beer if any and don't snack while drinking beer and smoking like I used too and have lost 10 pounds in two weeks. Along with never using nicotine again, my long term goal is to keep eating healthy and going from 225 to 185. My 69 year old father did five years ago so I figure If he can do it, I sure can.

Also, when I used to smoke my first smoke every morning I used to worry If today was the day that I was going to have a heart attack. I'm not saying that I won't have one, but I don't think about it every day.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Wailana - CONGRATS on a month - that is FANTASTIC!
I have felt calmer too (aside from a few mornings) - I wonder if when we were smoking if we were always on the verge of a nic-fit? Does that make sense? I'll be curious to see how I feel after I am done with the chantix.

Tom - great goals - and congrats on the weight loss! I was eating well and exercising before I quit, but I always felt like such a hypocrite when people told me how healthy I was. I too use to stress when I smoked - I mostly worried about cancer. Granted the risk is still there, but I am taking steps towards reducing that risk, not increasing it.
Keep up the Great WORK!

deb

Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

I sure have mellowed out a lot more. Not at all what I expected. Then again I really did not have any expectations.

Kevin__

Old 03-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
(female)

tampaquit HB User

I'd have to say for the most part I am pretty calm about things since taking the med. Course when I have snapped, it's like Linda Blair and then it goes away

Old 03-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailana View Post
Aloha everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had changes in behavior since quitting. My husband has told me I'm much more calmer, I flip out less and become nicer. I do feel I'm different, not so on the edge. Did the nicotine turned me into a mean person?

~~Discover how strong you can be~~
Wailana - Free and Healing for One Month, 11 Hours and 10 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 285 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $73.81.
When i had quit 30 years ago that is what my husband said how calm and even tempedr I was. Notice I say was.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

I've always been a pretty laid back person. Always slow to anger. So I don't think I'm any different in that way. Maybe I'm not as anxious as I was when I was smoking. I don't have to worry about when and where I can smoke and IF I can smoke at all. And I don't have to worry about offending people that don't smoke. Used to when they would broadcast on tv that we were going to be in for bad weather..thunderstorms, tornadoes, ice storms, snow, etc...I had to make sure I had enough cigarettes to get through. That would make me a little anxious. That's the only change I've noticed.

Memaw

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Aloha, Wailana!

I resurected this thread 'cause I wasn't up to coming around when you posted it, but I've been very introspective at my behaviors changing.
The most simple effect I started noticing is less of a roller-coaster ride. Not the real big kind, but more the kiddie kind, but still 'flatter' nonetheless.
I think I have a bit better concentration, continuity in what I'm thinking on as well.
But on the down side, the things I used to enjoy mostly leave me flat. Teevee, my big Hi-Fi hobby, they agitate me and so I just go another direction.

I think there are some very subtle effects both physiologically and psychologically that we nurse ourselves into gracefully when we start smoking and all of a sudden decades later realize that is part of who we 'are.'.
As for me, I had to give up sugar in september after 30 years as a 'Pepsiholic' and that got me with a left punch, and now the nicotine gave me a right to the chin, I've about lost interest in coffee (gasp!)....and I almost wonder who I've been most of my adult life, and if it was me, or the chemical roller coaster I rode....
SO, short answer is 'yes'.

But isn't life fun that it *can* change!

Best Regards.
DeadFosj

Closed Thread