It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
(male)

shyoneforty HB User
New to Boards - A big THANK YOU to all

Hi I am on day 45. I would say that at least 20% of that time the inspiration to keep going has been from reading all of your threads, so a massive thank you to you all. There is such a sense of comarardary (not sure if thats spelt correctly) on this site, it is great to know that I am not on my own.
I have been smoking for nearly 34 years and I started when I was 12, pretty bad eh! The longest I had ever quit for as a serious smoker, before was 57 hours. I still can't believe it. I am on the patches but, I am also getting some brilliant support from the local nurse at the surgery. Three weeks into quitting I felt incredilbly breathless and developed aweful cold/ fle type symptoms. I was x-rayed and blood tested and fortunately all was clear.
Apparently smoking had helped to open my airways and where I had stopped the bronchioles had closed up a bit, with the combination of the tar trying to get it was no wonder I couldn't breathe properly. As a result I started looking on the Internet to see if anyone else had suffered and found you guys. Fortunately the breathing is better now and although I still feel tired and sometimes still irritable , the breathing is better. I still get some fairly big cravings though and when I do I normally come here. Any way, enough rambling, just a huge thank you to you all especially to meemaw who seems to be an inspiration and saviour to us all. Take care and talk soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: New to Boards - A big THANK YOU to all

Hi Shyone,
Welcome and CONGRATS!!!!!!! It seems that most of us are experiencing some side effects from quitting - some worse than others..... glad you are feeling better. Hang in there....it will get better day by day.
deb

Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
(female)

Marguerite J HB User

Shyoneforty,
Congrats and way to go on quitting!!!! It doesn't matter if you use Chantix or if you use the patches, quitting is quitting. Welcome to the Quitters Club.

Marguerite

Old 03-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyoneforty View Post
Hi I am on day 45. I would say that at least 20% of that time the inspiration to keep going has been from reading all of your threads, so a massive thank you to you all. There is such a sense of comarardary (not sure if thats spelt correctly) on this site, it is great to know that I am not on my own.
I have been smoking for nearly 34 years and I started when I was 12, pretty bad eh! The longest I had ever quit for as a serious smoker, before was 57 hours. I still can't believe it. I am on the patches but, I am also getting some brilliant support from the local nurse at the surgery. Three weeks into quitting I felt incredilbly breathless and developed aweful cold/ fle type symptoms. I was x-rayed and blood tested and fortunately all was clear.
Apparently smoking had helped to open my airways and where I had stopped the bronchioles had closed up a bit, with the combination of the tar trying to get it was no wonder I couldn't breathe properly. As a result I started looking on the Internet to see if anyone else had suffered and found you guys. Fortunately the breathing is better now and although I still feel tired and sometimes still irritable , the breathing is better. I still get some fairly big cravings though and when I do I normally come here. Any way, enough rambling, just a huge thank you to you all especially to meemaw who seems to be an inspiration and saviour to us all. Take care and talk soon.
Wecome. 45 days, WOW. no mean feat. But hey, now that we have met you don't be a stranger.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

That's really awesome Shyoneforty!!! Congratulations on your quit!!!

I really hope your flu like symptoms disappear soon. Sounds like a hassle for you right now. I spoke with a guy in the local health food store a few weeks ago and asked if there was anything you could take to filter-out some of the toxins from smoking out of your system. He very highly recommended Mullein Tea of all things. He said to drink a cup or two (or more) each day and you would be amazed at all the crap that gets washed out of your lungs. (He was also a former smoker for 30+ years.)

Now I am a die-hard-New-York coffee drinker. Have been all my life. So drinking tea is pretty foreign to me. So I have been drinking only one cup WITH SUGAR each morning and it seems to be helping. I suppose if I drank more of it the results would be better as the guy in the store indicated.

I smoked for 35 years and quit six weeks ago using Chantix. For the past six years I have had to use an inhaler for asthma. The day I quit smoking the asthma disappeared and my lungs have been clearing up more and more each day. That was a surprise I had not expected.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Hey Kevin,

Does that tea have caffeine it it? I started drinking either herb tea or green tea in the afternoon the weeks before my quit and since then (2 wks). But I don't drink any caffeine after breakfast pretty much.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

No, no, no... This tea has NO caffiene in it. Sorry, should have mentioned that. It is actually something called a "Bush Tea", meaning that it comes from a bush and not a leaf. It is black in color and does not stain. It's not too bad actually. I used to read about people drinking Mullein Tea in old story books when I was a kid. I had not ever tried it before though.

Kevin__

Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi shyonforty!!
Welcome to our board. Glad you decided to stop lurking and join us. We're really happy to have you here.
45 days is SUPER!!!!!
Congratulations!!
I probably would sneek puffs off my mama's cigarette when she wasn't looking when I was twelve!! But I say I smoked for 40 years. I don't count those years when I would only smoke one now and then as a teenager. I start my count from the time I started smoking regularly, on a daily basis at 17. I was probably 12 or 13 when I had my first cigarette. I'm 57 now.
Anyway, welcome and please stay around and post how you are doing. I just love that this board is getting so full of quitters!!!!!

Kevin,
6 weeks already!! It seems like just the other day I was welcoming you to this board!!
Good going!!

Memaw

Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Congratulations shyoneforty! Welcome to the best Quitter's Club board on the Internet! Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing!

Last edited by SanyBelle; 03-09-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
(female)

wailana HB User

Welcome to the board and congrats on choosing to quit smoking.

~~Realize: the decisions are up to you.~~
Wailana - Free and Healing for One Month, One Day, 10 Hours and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day, by avoiding the use of 294 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $76.31.

Closed Thread