It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
(male)

Kentuckyguy HB User
When should one really stop chantix?

I have been on chantix for 34 days as of today. I was wandering if anyone out there that has stopped smoking has stopped using chantix before the 12 week program it recommends? To me I feel the worse part of quitting in general is the first few days that it takes to get the nicotine out of our systems so it would seem that after that period that one would or might not need the chantix.
I think myself that when i get down to where i have 3 weeks of chantix left I will start taking just one a day and see how it goes. If that works then it would give me a full six weeks to ween myself of if needed. I know that i have forgot a dose here and there and have not noticed any ill effects , but one day might be different than just stopping all at once. Thanks for any opinions in advance.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: When should one really stop chantix?

Hi Kentuckyguy!!
First of all CONGRATULATIONS on almost 2 weeks of being smoke free!!!
I completed all 12 weeks of the Chantix. But there are some people on this board that quit taking it before the 12 weeks was up for one reason or another! They seem to be doing fine.
How has your doctor suggested that you get off the Chantix?

My doctor had me to do this:
The last 4 days supply (8 pills) were split in half.
For 5 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 pill in the evening. (5 pills)
For 6 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning. (3 pills)

Doing this I had no trouble getting off the Chantix. I also have not had any strong sudden urges that feel like I've just gotta have a cigarette!! My urges are about the same that they were on the Chantix. So they are very easy to control. Being on the Chantix for the full 12 weeks helped me to learn to control the urges and remain calm when one hits. They pass very quickly.

Good Luck to you!! And please keep posting!!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 03-10-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

That is fantastic advice Mewaw!!! I just got my prescription for weeks 9-12 and I was trying to figure out how to finish up the Chanix too. My gosh, I still can not believe I quite six weeks ago. Pretty soon I am going to have to count that time as months, instead of seconds, minutes, days, or weeks. Feels kind of strange...

Kevin__

Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 AM   #4
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Congrats Kevin!!!!!
deb

Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Question Re: When should one really stop chantix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I have been on chantix for 34 days as of today. I was wandering if anyone out there that has stopped smoking has stopped using chantix before the 12 week program it recommends? To me I feel the worse part of quitting in general is the first few days that it takes to get the nicotine out of our systems so it would seem that after that period that one would or might not need the chantix.
I think myself that when i get down to where i have 3 weeks of chantix left I will start taking just one a day and see how it goes. If that works then it would give me a full six weeks to ween myself of if needed. I know that i have forgot a dose here and there and have not noticed any ill effects , but one day might be different than just stopping all at once. Thanks for any opinions in advance.
To the best of my knowledge, cold turkey withdrawal symptoms can last at least a month with cravings gradually reducing for up to a year. Surely coming off Chantix completely at a very early stage is asking for trouble. My advice is to reduce the dose if side effects are a problem. There must be a good reason why 3 months is the recommended course for the drug up to a maximum if 6 months if needed. WHY RISK IT

Old 03-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Kevin - that is awesome you're 6 weeks quit!! I know I can't believe 2 weeks have gone by for me. It's funny, because everybody probably remembers reading everybody else's posts when they first quit, and how scared they were, and what they were going thru and their 101 questions. Now, the longer we're into our quits, the more I feel I know everyone on this board!!! You guys have really been awesome in helping newbies thru their first few days/weeks of worrisome moments. The highs, the lows, the ups and downs.....it's nice to know we're all not alone.

I have stopped taking the Chantix and have done fine, no ill effects or cravings or anything. I was a light smoker though, and everybody is different. I have no stress in my life, no kids, no dogs, no other smokers around. I think each of us will be different on what we need to stay smoke-free. I am hoping that my strong willpower is all I will need from here on out. Good luck with whatever method works for you. I will keep you posted if I need to start the pills again, but I think for now, I'm good to go without...

Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
(male)

jbennett304 HB User

Skimmer...

I wish I was as lucky as you. I have been lurking these boards since I started taking Chantix, about a month ago. I smoked for about 8 or 9 days while first taking the meds.

About 1 week ago I completely stopped taking Chantix, I was not smoking or craving much anymore. I was experiencing some pretty bad side-effects (nausea and headaches), and did not want to continue taking/paying for the meds. As soon as my last dose wore off It was like the smoking withdrawal came back 100% in the physical sense, but I did not crave (if that makes any sense). I have had the worst foggy head, dizziness, headaches, anxiety, and inability to concentrate for the last week. I finally feel like I am almost out of the fog-head and headaches. Plenty of times I felt like smoking or administering nicotine any way I could just to numb the withdrawal symptoms, but they were just passing thoughts and not real craves.

Just a word of advice to anyone that wants to try and quit the Chantix early… taper down. I don’t know if my experience was a common one, I just hope nobody else has to go through it.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
(female)

Skimmer HB User

WOW JDBennett - sorry you had such a rough time coming off the Chantix. I didn't really taper down I guess, I think I forgot one pill one day, out of the two, so the next day I just took one, then I forgot to even take the one pill the next day, so I just quit taking them altogether.

I only had the fog-brain, dizziness when I WAS taking the Chantix, not from coming off it. I don't know, I would say to try coming off it, if you can, but if you can't, keep taking them until you no longer need to.

I don't like taking prescription medication for anything, so I was really ready to give it up as soon as I knew I wasn't going to smoke anymore.....it worked for me....

Good luck to you all in whatever you do and keep up the great work in your quits!!!

I am quit for 2 weeks, 3 days, 8 hours, 52 minutes, 36 seconds

Old 03-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennett304 View Post
I wish I was as lucky as you. I have been lurking these boards since I started taking Chantix, about a month ago. I smoked for about 8 or 9 days while first taking the meds.
Congratulations on quitting jbennett304! Awesome job!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi jbennet304!
Welcome to you!! Glad you stopped lurking and decided to join us.
I'm sorry you weren't able to take the Chantix. Some people just can't. But I'm glad to see you are still not smoking!! Have you been to smokefree.gov and downloaded the forever free booklets? You will find them really helpful, especially now that you are going cold turkey. They will help to reinforce your quit. Lots of very good information in them.

Congratulations on being smoke free for over 2 weeks. That's wonderful!!!
Please come back here often and let us know how you are doing or if there is anything we can do to help you!!

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 03-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
(male)

jbennett304 HB User

Thanks Memaw and Traveller... So far everything is going well. I'm off the Chantix and nicotine completely. The issues I was having are gone for the most part. I still have some lingering issues with lack-of-patience, moodyness and a bit of anxiety. The few days of excellent weather sure have helped alot.

Peace,
JB

Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
(male)

Glenn1561 HB User

Hi all ...

Just into my 41st day ... really glad that I made the decision to stop smoking ...

I too was wondering if there will be side effects in stopping Chantix ... my doctor never really made mention ...

I think the main reason for me wanting to stop is the Dreams ... the Dreams are becoming a bit annoying ...

Any advise is welcomed ...

Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #13
(male)

Kentuckyguy HB User

Been awhile since ive been here and thought i would reply to this question as i once ask it myself. I ended up quitting after taking the chantix for 45 days in all, i still have half a pack left and now have been quit over 9 months.

In looking back it really was rather easy but one does have to want to quit smoking. Also i find that other people smoking doesn't really bother me other than making me think of how i use to smell like smoke all the time.

Most likely everyone will be a bit different and some will go longer. Just take it one day at a time and go by the way you feel. if you get to were yo forget to take them , i think thats when one has won the battle, at least it was for me.

Greg - Free and Healing for Nine Months, Twenty Three Days, 1 Hour and 6 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 62 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 17883 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,715.54.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
(female)

karenlasvegas HB User

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading your board and it has been very helpful. I have been on Chantix for 5 days. Today I thought I was coming down with something, felt woozy and yucky, and slept most of the day. Also, loss of appetite and diahrrea (sorry). Stomach ache too. Does this sound like side effects?

Also, on day 3, in the evening, I felt it working, i.e., I could tell that smoking wasn't the same. But since then, I haven't noticed any change at all when I smoke. Quit Day is 2 days away, and I am a little nervous. Does it take longer for Chantix to 'kick in' in some people?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have smoked for 35+ years, and sooo want to quit. Thanks!
Karenlasvegas

Old 01-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
(male)

Diddy77 HB User

Karen...

Cigs started tasting different around day 3-4, but I smoked into week 2.

Closed Thread