It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

tampaquit HB User
Falling out of the Quitters Wagon!!!

I ALMOST smoked a butt from an ashtray this morning. I touched it, I smelled it, and I wanted to smoke a cigarette. Before you yell and ask why there is an ashtray, the boys friends smoke out back, so even so I clean it out, it is still there. I feel like it is my fault though. I dropped back to 1 pill a day, and I am two weeks quit and 3 days. Yesterday, I didn't take it. I read someone else's post who was asking why we needed to take the pill and I have been thinking the same thing, the nicotene is gone, why do I need the pill? This is the first really bad urge I have had and I mean really bad. I am wondering if the pill keeps you in the "I don't want to smoke" frame of mind until you have developed new habits, etc. and when you stop taking the pill it is no big deal. I had no side effects from stopping, really didn't feel any different whatsoever. But this is the first day I have not had anyone at the house, which is when I can really clean, ie the boys disgusting bathroom. And then I usually go out and smoke in between rooms, etc. I want to cry because I don't want to start smoking again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

freeforme HB User
Re: Falling out of the Quitters Wagon!!!

Hello Tampa Quit,

I did the same thing, I went one day without taking my Chantix, I was thinking what is the point if the nicotine is out of my system. I did not almost smoke a butt, but if one would of been around, I would of been dang tempted. I agree with you, maybe the Chantix is continuing to make our withdrawal symptoms so minor that without we begin to crave it again, not sure. I am not going to risk it though. I am only taking one a day but I make sure I take that one. I am going to get my re-fill for month 2 next week. I have only quit for 7 days but as long as I take the medicine the urges do not seem to there as bad. The day I did not take it, I could of killed for one.
Good luck and you can do this I just keep telling myself, if I ALLOW myself to have JUST THAT ONE, then I will have to start back at DAY ONE, and I don't want to have to go through that again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Tampaquit
The main thing is you didn't actually smoke. I feel that you may be trying to come off Chantix too fast. Physical withdrawal from nicotine is said to go on for at least a month and then cravings continue getting less and less for up to a year. Also there are side effects from reducing the med (I know, I am doing it at this moment and am starting a thread on it) You could just take half a tab twice and days for a few more weeks. yOU HAVE BEEN DOING BRILLIANTLY and we've all been so proud of you. Just give yourserf a bit more time. I am currently on half a pill I I still feel it is giving some protection from the worst of the cravings etc but the side effects are much less.
DON'T GIVE UP GIVING UP, WE WWILL HELP YOU THROUGH

Old 03-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

tampaquit, I agee with True Brit, you did not fall off the wagon, you fought the urge, that is all that matters!!

We are going to be tempted all our lives, I was last night and I'm going to a birthday party today where there will be alot of smokers. I am having an awefully hard time here at 2 days shy of 10 months but I do not want to smoke because smoking is not an option anymore and I do not want to go through that HELL of quitting again. I just walked around my neighborhood for a few miles and do you know I can smell smoker's houses even when I do not see anyone smoking? They must smoke outside and I was at least 30 or 40 feet from the lanias and I smelled smoke in about 5 places on my walk. That is how strong that yukky smell is!!

Good luck and here are a few for you!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
(female)

tampaquit HB User

No I didn't smoke and I know that is what is important. I took one pill after that, and I feel better. I have cleaned out my entire linen closet and have three bags of things to donate. I don't want to be dependent on the pill, but I am a cheapo frugal person too, so I was thinking all high and mighty how I am doing so great, and I am!, maybe I have licked this and can skip the second month. I do really well with just one pill a day so I guess the moral of the story is I need to continue for a while longer. Thank you for sharing your stories too. I thought the nicotene withdrawal was just a week or so and that was it, if I know it is a month or more, I'll be patient. Thank you thank you for letting me vent....

Old 03-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Tampaquit - you are doing great with your 2 weeks and 3 days quit. I think you are trying to come off the Chantix too soon. I think it works differently for everyone, but maybe you are one of those ones that need to keep taking it for the full 3 months. I have quit taking it myself after my 2 weeks quit, and saw no real changes, but I have made up my mind that I am NOT going to smoke again and that is enough for me. I have no smokers around here tempting me with nasty butts. It is funny though, like Traveller said, I can smell a cig from a million miles away now! There's a guy who walks his dog in our neighborhood and always smokes, well I have my house opened up, doors and windows, and he walks by and all of his smoke comes in my house!! And the smokers at stoplights, it's unbelievable!

Keep up your willpower and keep yourself busy with cleaning and stuff. Why don't you treat yourself to some of those lobsters you have in your freezer for dinner tonight? Are you rewarding yourself for not smoking? Maybe you need to give yourself a pat on the back and look in the mirror and tell youself what a wonderful job you're doing and this too shall pass......

You are now a non-smoker, and the temptations will be there, but you can overcome them. Smoking is not an option.....

Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
(female)

tampaquit HB User

No I haven't done any rewards for myself, except I got a manicure the first weekend I quit just to keep busy. I guess since I turned on the A/C today, that could be a reward. I'm sweating my buns off cleaning and mopping, etc.

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 18 hours, 18 minutes and 47 seconds (16 days). I have saved $70.39 by not smoking 469 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 15 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/22/2007 9:00 PM

Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

tampaquit,
I'm proud of you for not giving in to temptation. Like everyone else has said, it's too soon to come off the Chantix. I was wanting to come off it as soon as possible when I was taking it. (I had side effects the whole 3 months!) But my doctor really stressed to me that I had to make a commitment to take this drug at least three months. I didn't ask why. Wished I would have. So I thought I HAD to take it 3 months!! He also told me that if I ever started back smoking, that I could call him for another round of Chantix, that he would call me in a prescription.
I am a non smoker now and I won't smoke again!! Smoking is no longer an option that I have.
You need to do the rewards. It just helps to reinforce your quit. It doesn't have to be anything that costs very much, just something you will enjoy.

I don't think you are going to "slip", "cave", or "relapse". You are a very stong person. Just try not to put temptation in your way for a while!!! Ask the boys to please empty their own ash trays before they leave!! Explain to them why.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #9
(female)

mangojunky HB User

tampa - hang in there girl! You are strong, and you didn't smoke. I imagine that deep down you knew you didn't really want that nasty cig. Stay strong, and keep on with the chantix for a while longer - it's not forever!
hugs
deb

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Tampaquit, Congratulations!!! It sounds like you survived a pretty nasty temptation over the weekend. You were much stronger though and we sure are proud of you.

Just a suggestion: Why not replace that stinky ashtray out back with a coffee can. Fill the can about half full with water and a little Pine-Sol or A-Jax deodorant cleaner? That way you get replace the smokey smell with something a little more tolerable. Of course you can't smoke wet cigarette butts. In addition, it only has to be thrown out / replaced about once a month or so.

Necessity is the mother of invention...

Kevin__

Old 03-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

I missed my morning Chantix dose yesterday....it wasn't intentional. I simply forgot and by the time I remembered, it was too late to take it. Took my evening pill just like always. But, I was in a FOUL mood last night and it's continued in to today. And I wanted to smoke today....really wanted to. I didn't, but not smoking seemed to make me even more angry. If missing one pill has this kind of effect, I sure dread coming off the stuff. I am definitely going to stay on it the full three months and maybe four months. I've come too far (at least it's far for me) to go thru it again. Tomorrow will be my one month anniversary of being an ex-smoker. And my bad mood may not have one thing to do with having missed one pill....but nothing else has happened to make me feel so ill-willed. Thanks for listening.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Hi Trish,
When I cut down from 2 mg to 1 mg a day I experienced the same thing....not pleasant. I found a st. johns mood support supplement that I take in the afternoon instead of the chantix and that has really helped me. I too am afraid of weaning myself off the chantix - it's replacing some of the dopamine that nicotine used to "create" - our bodies don't know what the hell is going on.....I hope/trust that over time my body will adjust and life will be good again.
hang tight - stay strong - you are doing GREAT!
deb

Old 03-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi Deb: Where are you in the quit process?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Thanks everyone! Kevin that is a good idea, because then there is no temptation. There is nothing more gross than a wet butt. Trish, I think you are a little ahead of Mango, who is ahead of me if that helps. It was a scare, and I made it through. And taking one pill a day works for me just fine. I sat through a 7:45 until 4 pm meeting today without a problem. That used to be murder!!! So I left and thought how cool is this, I am not running to the car digging out a smoke. I am just going to take it as it is supposed to be taken. I really feel good while taking it, foggy brain is pretty much gone, no other side effects like headache, however the gas is still a serious health hazard But if that is all I have to worry about, who cares (well if anyone is around, that's another story!)

You guys are so great, and I know everyone says it over and over, but I really don't have support. I am a single mom of three wonderful sons, and they are proud, but I can't explain things to them that I can on here. It was a bad morning, I wrote and vented, you guys all responded, and I feel great today! I am two and half weeks quit now and that's awesome for me. I think a Healthboards Reunion for us would be fun! We can all wear nametags since no one has a CLUE what anyone looks like! And no one will complain about their long flight without a smoke, the non smoking room they have, because we are all non smokers!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Good for you Tampa! Glad you made it thru your daylong meeting, and no thoughts of smoking! That is progress. You probably just had a weak moment of temptation, and they will be there from time to time, but the good thing is you made it thru!! We are all very proud of you.

Keep up the great work and WE LOVE YOU!!!!

Closed Thread