It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

forthebirds HB User
Smile Chantix & a newbie quitter (sorta long - sorry!)

HI & CONGRATS to all the successful quitters and to those just beginning to take the plunge. What a wonderful place this is!!! And MEMAW! Honey, if some day there ain't a statue erected in your honor - it'd be a crime!!! I don't think I've ever witnessed a better cheerleader or positive force! *WOW* Quite amazing! I've only recently joined, had been reading for a few weeks and was totally amazed at the time and effort you put forth for others! YOU ROCK!!!!

As for why I'm here - I'm a wanna-be-quitter! I'm on my 4th. day of chantix. Scheduled quit date is the 14th. My wonderful Mommy's b-day (YES, it was intentional!) I'm 48, have smoked for 30 years, have quit in the past. The longest was 8 months when I found out I was pregnant. Two hours after our daughter was born -- hubby came in and the first thing outta my mouth was "got cigarettes with you??" Boy does that show you how long ago that was? Being allowed to SMOKE in a HOSPITAL!!!! Anyway - I've had a few half-hearted (failed) attempts over the years. Last year a friend of my husband's gave him the book "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking", by Allen Carr, (he was hoping it would help hubby to quit). It sat here for months. One day I picked it up, decided to read it. By the time I finished it, only hours later, I decided I was DONE!!!! I went over 3 weeks without a cigarette! And it was amazingly easy. OK - maybe not EASYYYYYYY!! But a heck of a lot more do-able than I expected. Even with hubby still smoking around me!

THEN (us smokers always have a "THEN" to make us pick up that pack again) we had to make the horrible decision to put down our 10 year old great dane. It was gut-wrenching! Of course, we all know, with grief or turmoil - you SMOKE! It's a given! Naturally - I was back to it full time. I still WANTED to quit but was so afraid to make the "commitment" and of the "failure". My doctor happened to mention chantix when I was in for routine stuff. I, being one that is highly sensitive to most meds, had to research it first. Read all the side effects and decided that no matter how bad they may be, or how scary the "rare" side effects were, it was worth the chance to stop slowly killing myself by smoking.

So the reason I'm here and posting is - I really think I can do this!!!! The majority of the time I "KNOW" I'm gonna do it this time!!! I waver occasionally but for the most part the confidence is there. But I want to really reinforce my chances by coming here for support. Not so much for me but for my wonderful husband. Background: he's quit twice and both times were so absolutely miserable for him that he would never, ever consider it again. When I quit last year - he was the best cheerleader - his admiration for how strong I was was what kept me going. Well, a dear friend at his work just passed from heart disease (yes, due to smoking for years and years), hubby called me up and said "when can we start those pills??" *Hot diggity*

So here's where I'm at - he is going to see how I do on the pills and has PROMISED to try and quit. A HUGE step for him!!! To sum it all up - his life (or quality of) depends on my being tough!!! "HE" is not putting the pressure on me, it comes from within. Therefore I'm feeling MORE pressure with this quit. I know this is to be expected but it's also causing me to question my chances. Am I making any sense?

Plus I'm finding myself dealing with alot of confusion -- since smoking is not carrying the same appeal that it did before starting the chantix. So I question myself "why have one if it's dull and icky tasting"? Then there's the other part of me that says "I'm ALLOWED to smoke until the 14th. -- might as well get in as many as I can". *sigh*

I should also mention - over the past few years we've cut back on the allowable smoking places - when our first (and only) grandchild was born I stopped ALL smoking in the house and cars. We live in Ohio, where they just passed the new smoking law, which pretty much makes you feel like a hardened criminal if you light up anywhere, even your own home, So with all of these restrictions in place, I'm hoping it'll be easier since we've eliminated so many places that would carry the smoking association. We were both 1 1/2 pack a day smokers, we are now down to between 8 -15 a day. Altho -- I'm sure with nice weather coming -- that number is bound to rise. (((No fun freezin' your buns off to slowly kill yourself!)))

Sorry to have rambled on! I'm really happy to have found this place and look so forward to getting to know all of you! BEST OF LUCK to all of those trying to quit!!! My goal is for us to BOTH be cigarette free by our 30th. anniversary (in May).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

tampaquit HB User
Re: Chantix & a newbie quitter (sorta long - sorry!)

Welcome Forthebirds! This is a wonderful site to be on, and guess what? You can ramble all you want!!! When you are doing well, everyone is here for you, and when you have a rough spot, they are here for you! Trust me, I know! The Chantix has been a wonderful thing for me and I am sure you will do great!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthebirds
My goal is for us to BOTH be cigarette free by our 30th. anniversary (in May).
What a fantastic goal forthebirds! Congratulations to both of you for making the best health decision of your lives!! Welcome to the Quitter's Club and come back and let us know how you are doing!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi forthebirds,
Welcome to our little room on the Internet!! If you've read my posts, you know how I love new quitters!! Glad you joined us here!!

Since you have quit before, you kinda know what you are in for the first few days. Even with the Chantix, you will still have the withdrawal symptoms. The Chantix just makes it a little easier for you.

I haven't read the book you mentioned (guess I need to get it!). But there is a web site where you can ******** 8 booklets called forever free at smokefree.gov. It helps in all aspects of quitting. I highly recommend it.

There will always be stress in your life. You really need to find a better way to deal with it, other than smoking.

Also, do this for yourself first!!! The side benefits will be that you might influence your husband to quit!! If you don't do it for yourself, you will not be successful. Trying to do it for someone else just doesn't work!!

About being "allowed" to smoke until the 14th...just smoke when you feel like it. How are you feeling about quitting on the 14th? Are you nervous, excited, scared?

Help clear something up for me...has your husband quit smoking yet? Or is he waiting to see if you are successful? What method is he using or thinking about using?

I guess everywhere across the United States and England! smoking bans are going up! Last week the county seat here in Desoto county Mississippi passed a smoking ban in public places.

I think you are gonna do okay in your quit!
Let us know how we can help. Keep posting.
Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 03-11-2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: sp.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Welcome For the birds

You have exactly the right attitude for success. It's obvious that the love/hate relationship we all have with cigs when quitting is much more hate in your case. We all have a good old moan here and get a good dose of positive feedback.
You have so much to look forward to:-

BETTER HEALTH
MORE ENERGY
MORE SELF RESPECT
FREEDOM

Good luck to you both and keep on posting

Old 03-12-2007, 04:09 AM   #6
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Welcome Forthebirds! CONGRATS on your decision to be FREE. This site has been a great source of information and support - so glad you found it. The chantix will help with your cravings, but you have to change your habits. I too didn't smoke everywhere, which helped. I noticed cigs tasted bad during my first week, so I cut down, but I smoked the whole week - I guess mentally I had picked my quit day and wanted to stay with that. I know I felt better once I quit - less nausea, etc.
Stay strong and keep us posted!
deb

Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Forthebirds - Welcome and congrats!! If you've been reading the posts and been a lurker, then you know all about what everybody has gone thru with their quits. You will have some or all or none of the problems, symptoms, dreams, side effects, as the next person - but it sure is nice to know that everyone on here has walked in your shoes at one time or another. It is very scary quitting, but also very exciting!! Who doesn't want to quit? It's a nasty stinky, unhealthy habit!! I say they should give the Chantix away free to whoever wants to try it.....

My hubby and I quit together, it was so much easier to have each other to lean on for support and to go thru it together.

I wish you both good luck, and I will tell you it can be done and the Chantix makes it relatively easy.....but you must be willing to quit, and willing to change your habits....We are all living proof that it works!!

CONGRATS AND KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Congratulations on your decision to quit ForTheBirds. Loved your story. You sound like a really strong person so I think you're going to do just fine. Are you ready for your quit day tomorrow? I was terrified about my quit day. I honestly could not have done it without the Chantix and all the terrific support from this web page. I quit six weeks ago and still go back once in a while to re-read my old threads to see just how far I've come. The whole experience has felt like taking off in an airplane.

Please come back and let us know how you're doing.

Kevin__

Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
(female)

forthebirds HB User

Kevin - CONGRATS on your quit and having gone a whole SIX WEEKS!! That is so WONDERFUL! Keep it up!!!! I envy you and all the rest that are doing so well!!!

As for me - I'm terrified! But I'm am SOOOOOOOO READY! I'm anxious to get started and a little skeered at the same time! I think I made a boo-boo with my quit date - I guess "technically" it'll be Thursday (15th). My mom's b-day is tomorrow, it'll be my last smoking day (altho I do start the 1mg. pills). I want to be able to say "I quit on her b-day". Plus it'll be easier to remember. Did that make sense?

Anyway - thanks for encouragement - I can't wait till I have some months under my belt. Patience is not a strong point of mine so I find myself wishing my life away on this. But I'm sure y'all understand!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

ForTheBirds,

When you see your Mom today, tell her there are about a gazillion people on this "No Smoking Board" and we all wish her a Happy Birthday!!!

What ever you decide, please check back and let us know how you're doing.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
(female)

forthebirds HB User

Awwww - what a sweet thing to do! What a nice surprise!!! Mom was so touched, as was I. THANK YOU!!! From me and Mom!!!

I'm doing good! Had some trouble earlier but I think I'll be fine. Had my LAST smoke about an hour ago! Said goodbye without fanfare, regret, or hesitancy. I'm raring to wake up in the a.m. as a NON-SMOKER! *woohoo*

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
(female)

Risky1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthebirds View Post
Kevin - CONGRATS on your quit and having gone a whole SIX WEEKS!! That is so WONDERFUL! Keep it up!!!! I envy you and all the rest that are doing so well!!!

As for me - I'm terrified! But I'm am SOOOOOOOO READY! I'm anxious to get started and a little skeered at the same time! I think I made a boo-boo with my quit date - I guess "technically" it'll be Thursday (15th). My mom's b-day is tomorrow, it'll be my last smoking day (altho I do start the 1mg. pills). I want to be able to say "I quit on her b-day". Plus it'll be easier to remember. Did that make sense?

Anyway - thanks for encouragement - I can't wait till I have some months under my belt. Patience is not a strong point of mine so I find myself wishing my life away on this. But I'm sure y'all understand!
You sound like me. I'm so ready too. Starting Chantix tomorrow. I understand about the date. No special date for quite a while for me though, even though I wish there was. I want to celebrate my quit anniversary every year and I don't want to forget the date (super important). From what I've read, this product sounds really good. I've tried patches, gum, commit, Welbutrin (allergic reaction) and maybe others I've forgotten with no luck. I'm not very patient either so "good luck to both of us" as well as anyone else trying to quit.

Last edited by Risky1; 03-14-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: adding to my message

Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Risky1,
Welcome to the HealthBoards!! So glad you decided to join us here.
I hope you will be another satisfied Chantix user. It helps a lot!!!
You will be able to remember the date you quit smoking for a very long time.
It's kinda like another birthday.
How long have you smoked? I don't know how many times I tried to quit before I used the Chantix. I couldn't even go one day without a cigarette. I had tried Zyban, gum, patches, cold turkey. I just was not strong enough. I had no willpower. The Chantix worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Keep us posted!! And Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Closed Thread