It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
(male)

falcone HB User
Menthol

Are menthol cigs any less harmful than regulars?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

Mrsdew HB User
Re: Menthol

as far as i know cigs are cigs and they both bad one just tastes mintier. LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

falcone,
Why do you ask?
I smoked menthol cigarettes for 40 years! I not only had to get over the nicotine addiction, I also had to get over the menthol addiction!! Don't know for certain that it was a menthol addiction, just felt like to me.
Either menthol or regular is bad for you!! I don't see one being better than the other.

Memaw

Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Why do cigarettes contain menthol? Because many people like the taste ó but that's not the only reason. Menthol has an anesthetic, or numbing effect. It quiets the nerves in your throat that react to irritation. (Which is why they use it in cough drops.) Eugenol, a liquid found in clove oil, is also added to cigarettes. It has a numbing effect, too. It deadens the mucous membranes to lessen irritation. Tobacco companies add menthol and eugenol to cigarettes to prevent coughing. This might sound like a good thing, but itís not. Coughing is your bodyís natural reaction to smoke. It also helps clear out your airways. So if you've started coughing more since you stopped smoking, that's okay. It means that your throat isnít numb anymore. Itís now able to protect your airways all over again.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
falcone,
Why do you ask?
I smoked menthol cigarettes for 40 years! I not only had to get over the nicotine addiction, I also had to get over the menthol addiction!! Don't know for certain that it was a menthol addiction, just felt like to me.
Either menthol or regular is bad for you!! I don't see one being better than the other.

Memaw
memaw
I read years ago that 1st it is harder for a women to quit smoking and if you smoke a cig with menthol it is een harder. I have tred smoking cigs without menthol and I can't smoke them so I agree with what I had read that menthol is somewhat addicting.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
(male)

falcone HB User

Thanks guys,

I duno memaw, maybe im just clutching straws. As you know ive spoke about quitting before.

I went about 10 days a month or so ago. I started smoking menthol a week or to ago and perhaps the worse thing ive done, as mango said - im not coughing and was feeling better about smoking - which is a big no no ! I know.

My will power can be quite strong during normal days etc, but as a student what I find really hard is resisting when im out clubbing, around other smokers - and more importantly when im drunk. When Im drinking my resistance decrease and I get a "to hell with it" feeling as im in "party mode" I suppose, and before I know it im wakking up with a pack on my cabinet, having smoked 10+ then night before.

Im young, I like to drink with friends etc, but its ruining my attempts to quit.

As I said I went 10 days a month or so ago, then got drunk and bam! smoked a pack. Its a really depressing situation and im so angry at myself the morning after but despite this the next party or whatever I do the same.

Its really, really annoying!

Ive just had what I have said to myself is my last cig, but in the back of my head I feel its really not

But heres hoping.

Falcone

Last edited by falcone; 03-12-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

falcone,
You will not be successful until you really make up your mind that you want to quit. You have got to want to quit MORE than you want to smoke!!!

We all have triggers, things that make us want to smoke. Your trigger is alcohol. A lot of people are like that. They cannot drink until they feel confident enough not to smoke while drinking.
I wish you could stop smoking right now. But unless you are willing to give up alcohol for a while, I don't see that happening. When I say "for a while", I mean like for 4 to 6 months. That may seem like a long time right now...but for a lifetime of being smoke free, it's really not.

What can I say to you that would help?
If you found out that the very next cigarette that you smoke will cause you to have cancer or lung disease, would you smoke it, even if you were drinking? That could very well be the case. We never know which cigarette will cause these diseases. I don't like to try to scare people into quitting. That doesn't work!! But try to think about this the next time you go clubbing.

Good Luck to you, darlin'.

Memaw

Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Falcone -
I know the struggle, but if you are young - now is the time. Do you want to smoke for 20 + years and then have to quit? Imagine how much tougher that is. If you really want to quit, you will find a way. Write down all the reasons you don't want to smoke, and then decide if you can stop partying for awhile.
keep us posted
deb

Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

Falcone...

The reason you are struggling to quit is the same reason I started smoking. I got into a crowd that liked to party, a pack of smokes would last me a week, before you know it the pack of smokes is only lasting me a day. All because of the parties and the friends... blah blah blah. If I could go back in time, I would have never picked one up. I would have had just as good of a time without the smokes. It's so much harder to let the things go the longer you smoke. You can do this! I know you can because you are at least to the point that you are thinking about it. You are at the point where the smoking is bugging you. You may have to let go of the booze for awhile, but in the long run.... it will be so worth it!

Stacia

Old 03-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
(male)

falcone HB User

K Ive had none today and I really dont even feel like one - and this time - before bed- is this time im usually craving most. I think Ill calm down from the booze a bit, or maybe just stay away from crowds of smokers. I dunno, but either way im quitting.

Im quietly confident this time! Im gonna quit!

Last edited by falcone; 03-14-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

falcone,
Good for you!!!
You know what needs to be done. We are all here to help in any way we can.
Just know that you are not alone in this. We understand what you are going through.
Keep us posted on your progress!!

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
(male)

falcone HB User

Finished off at the weekend, and now going to bed after my 5th day smoke free, wha hey!

Last edited by falcone; 03-22-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

falcone,
Way to go!!! 5 days smoke free is WONDERFUL!!!
Keep up the good work!!
I had wondered what was going on with you. Glad you came back to let us know.

Memaw

Closed Thread