It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
(female)

Chez19 HB User
depression after quitting?

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago. No patches, no gum, no weening down... nothing. I actually have no idea what number of times this is that he's "quit." He's 20 and has smoked on and off since he was 15. I've only witnessed one other attempt at quitting apart from this one, and I'm concerned that this time around he seems to be not coping nearly as well and is very depressed. He keeps saying that he's not happy and needs to fix his life but has no idea how... something that he wasn't saying when he was smoking.

I'm just wondering if this is a normal cold turkey response, or if his quitting is making an existing issue harder to deal with. It's hard to be around him because I have no idea how to help...

Thanks a lot,
Chloe.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Re: depression after quitting?

Hi Chez19
WOW!! Quitting cold turkey is soooo hard but the best way if you can do it because it is all over with quicker. Depression is totally normal and most of the quitters here have experienced feeling low to some degree. It will pass and if your boyfriend can just hang on in there he will soon start to feel better, more energy etc. It is true, I think, that existing issues in our life seem a lot worse when we quit because we no longer have the crutch of smoking to lean on. TELL HIM TO HANG ON IN THERE AND IT WILL PASS, I PROMISE.
Give him all the support you can and try to get him to share his quit with us. We are a wonderful quitters club. We all have a good moan when we are struggling and get loads of support. It really helps.
GOOD LUCK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
(female)

mangojunky HB User

When you smoke/chew, the nicotine causes dopamine to be released – this gives you the “feel good” sensation that people relate with smoking. When you quit, your body needs time to adjust to the lack of nicotine, causing depression (at least this is what I have read…). I have been taking st. johns wort supplement. Exercise helps…..I would do a little research…there are natural ways to help, along with herbal supplements.

I know it must be rough not knowing how to help. Hang in there!
deb

Old 03-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Chez19,
Here is a list of withdrawal symptoms from nicotine:
Nicotine withdrawal symptoms:
irritability, mood swings, restlessness, insomnia, fatigue
inability to concentrate, sore throat, cough, congestion, headache,
increased appetite constipation, gas, stomach pain, dry mouth
sore tongue/gums , postnasal drip, tightness in the chest.

Your boyfriend is probably experiencing more than one of these withdrawal symptoms.
Have him do this when the urge to smoke hits:
Delay until the urge passes. Usually 3-5 minutes
Distract himself. Call a friend or go for a walk.
Drink water to fight off cravings
Deep Breaths - Relax! Close his eyes and take 10 slow, deep breaths.
Discuss his feelings with someone close to him or at the forum here.

Also stopping smoking will sometimes bring other problems to the front.
If he is concerned about anything in particular, have him see a doctor.

Tell him we said good luck and he is very lucky to have someone that cares so deeply about him!!

Memaw

Closed Thread