It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User
beside chantix what other methods did anyone use

As I hae posted before I am afraid of chantix.I don't like what I am reading on the net. I have found several message boards about chantix some good that I want to run out and get my script filled but many more which gives me doubt (severe). Traveler I know you didn't use chantix what did you use? Anyone else also please.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User
Re: beside chantix what other methods did anyone use

What other methods did I use?

Patches, pills, gum, hypnosis, my wife bitc*ing at me, and cold turkey.

I'm sure this isn't the answer you were looking for, but the method that seems to be working the best for me so far is the Chantix pills along with this support group. The other methods have worked for countless other people in the past, but not for me. However you decide to do it, the people on this board will be cheering you on. You can do it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Thank you Tom JC

Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi Lorriem,

On march 6th of last week you wrote that your doctor recommended Chantix but you disagreed and got a prescription for Nicotrol instead, and that you would begin using the Nicotrol last Friday. This was in the thread titled "Chantix side effect or allergy?". Did you try using the Nicotrol? Is it not working for you?

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi Lorriem, my quit was not a normal quit. I hadn't planned on quitting. I was in the hospital for a week with a ruptured appendix and peritonitis (infection) and of course you can't smoke in the hospital... my first week was kind of easy since I was on morphine. When I got home I decided to see how long I could stay quit and even though I had the nicotine out of my system by that point, I knew I couldn't do cold turkey so I used the 14mg patches for 3 or 4 months.

My brain still tries to fool me and says 1) because I didn't make the decision to quit and 2) since I didn't pick my own quit date that I should be able to start smoking again. But you know what? I don't want to start again because it is so bad for me and I don't want to go through the hell that quitting smoking is again....

You will quit when and only when you are ready to.

Tomorrow is my 10 month anniversary.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 03-12-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

lorriem,
I'm sure you have researched all the methods to quit. Find one that YOU are comfortable with and just do it. But first you have got to want to quit smoking MORE than you want that cigarette. Make sense? Do you feel like you are being MADE to quit? No one can make you quit. To be successful in your quit you are the only one that can do that.

Like Tom and most of the other people on this board, I tried a lot of different ways to quit. Nothing I tried could get me to stop for even one day!!! The Chantix worked for me. I took it for the recommended 3 months. Wedensday will be 7 months for me and so far no bad health effects for me from taking the Chantix. But if it is not for you, it's just not!! Don't feel bad about not wanting to take it. But find something that you do feel good about.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
(female)

sunstar1946 HB User

I tried looking into hypnotism on the net and came up with Allen Carr's cd "the easy way to quit smoking". It seemed to simple to work, but I found it for under 15 bucks, so I tried it. And oh my goodness, it worked like a charm for me! Who knew? I strongly suggest giving this a try. It's cheap, and what have you got to lose?? Nada. If it doesn't work, you keep smoking and try something else. But you never know, maybe it WILL work for you! In 7 hours, it will be 3 weeks since I've quit. Good luck to you whichever method you use, you can do it!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-13-2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: do not post commercial websites for any reason

Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #8
(female)

wailana HB User

I didn't try the Chantix, I tried Wellbutrin first cause it's been around longer. I took it for about 6 days because the side effects were really strong for me, however, it did help me stop smoking though. Coming to the boards has helped me, I did a lot of reading here. I also been reading Allen Carr's book.
Just try different methods till you find the one that works for you.
Hang in there, you can do it!

~~Be forgiving, patient and kind~~
Wailana - Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 10 Hours and 28 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 324 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $84.12.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar1946 View Post
In 7 hours, it will be 3 weeks since I've quit.
Congrats sunstar1946!!!!! What a quitter!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi LorrieM...

I quit [this last quit], by first using the patch, starting out with the large one and working my way down to the little 7 mg. patch. They worked very well for me...I got a nice even flow of nicotine all day, and removed it at bedtime, or else I would have some crazy dreams,..sometimes scary. I was getting close to where I thought I could get off of them, but one day happened to try a piece of my hubbies nicotine gum... I should've never done that, cuz I got hooked on that gum--> big time!

He ended up on that gum for over 3 years, and I was on it for about 2....it was torture to get off of it,...for both of us. But at least we DID quit smoking...that's all that really matters.

In the past before we quit, we had taken many "quit smoking courses" through our military hospitals, our Kaiser clinics, etc. They were very good too, but like Memaw said, (it's so true), unless you REALLY want to quit, it won't work...you may quit for a while, but you'll go back to it if you're not really
1OO% committed. ...I know, as I quit numorous times, and even lasted to a year a couple of those quits...only to go back to it again and again. I just wasn't ready..or doing it to please my kids and close friends who were nagging me,...whatever. This time I was TRULY ready.

I'm a little jealous of all of these new quitters having Chantix, I have to admit! It sounds so wonderful!I think they are very lucky to be quitting at the time it came out. YOU LUCKY PEOPLE, YOU!!!

I wouldn't be afraid to try the Chantix, Lorrie, as I just see so many people that are so happy with it...but you have to find what works for YOU, and then do it... once you know that you are ready to give it up for once and for all, no matter what it takes. (that was my mantra this last quit..."No matter what it takes!")

Best of luck to you!
Deda

Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
(female)

sunstar1946 HB User

Thanks Traveller, never thought it'd feel great to be called a quitter!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:41 AM   #12
(female)

sunstar1946 HB User

Traveller, I just saw your post on today being your 10 month anniversary!!!! Talk about a quitter! Congrats!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks sunstar1946!! It doesn't feel that long but I sure do feel better than I did 10 months ago today!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I have had the nicotrol inhaler for years but only have used it when I couldn't smoke. That does work so well that I have gone 8 plus hours without a cig. When we lived in another state my doc for over 25 years gave me the script and said he would rather see me use these all the time instead of a cig. When we moved here I got another script from this doctor.I have been only like I said been using them when I couldn't smoke but I did set a quit date and it passed because I wanted to give the chantix a try but the more I read about it the less I believe in it.
I am afraid oof this drug it hasn't een been on the market for a year. I remember fen phan and eeryone including my daughter wanted to use it. Eeryone lost weight but at what price? There are so many new drugs out and a year or two they hae found that they do more harm then good. Does anyone know how I feel? Yes it woould be great to stop smoking and yes I have many times set a quit date this time I feel I am ready but I do not want to be a test subject either.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Does anyone know how I feel? Yes it woould be great to stop smoking and yes I have many times set a quit date this time I feel I am ready but I do not want to be a test subject either.
Hi Lorrie, it really sounds to me like you are not yet ready to quit smoking. Don't beat yourself up over it, not everyone can quit. You will quit when you are ready to quit, not when your doctor or husband tells you to quit. It took me 10 years after my mother's smoking related death to quit and even then it wasn't my decision and I didn't have the easiest time at it. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones to be able to quit this way.

What ever you decide, good luck.

Closed Thread