It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
(male)

punkiishmob HB User
Angry Please help me - Contemplating relapse

I have two sides telling me different things.

One side is telling me to just have one cigarette. Or better yet, just smoke again. You're only 19. You can quit many more times in the future. You are extremely stressed at work, and the Nicoderm CQ patch isn't seeming to helping you at the moment. You also look badass.

The other side is saying ONE CIGARETTE IS GOING TO TURN INTO A PACK. You quit because you stayed in bed tossing and turning, then when you smoked a cigarette you fell asleep. You're also coughing at night, and using your inhaler more than twice the recommended amount you should be, which is also keeping you up. You're doing so well and everyone knows you quit. How would they feel if they saw you smoke again? Just smoke a bowl dude, you will forget about cigarettes AND feel good about quitting. There's cat **** in cigarettes! And nail polish remover! You have asthma! People are going to look at you and go "what a ****ing idiot!".

I switched to the 7mg of Nicoderm CQ last Tuesday. I started on the 14 six weeks ago. Seven weeks of not smoking a single cigarette tomorrow. I was feeling good, until I started getting depression symptoms again, and wanting a cigarette even more so badly. I'm blaming it on the switch from 14mg to 7. I started taking antihistamines at night to shut the hell up and fall asleep, but it seems like it doesn't do much anymore.

Has anyone else felt this two-sided brain of theirs when they were stressed out? Or bored ********?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
(male)

CTYankee HB User
Re: Please help me - Contemplating relapse

Truth is most people have internal conflicts making excuses as to why not to quit. I only wish I could turn back time and quit when I was 19 years old. It will not get any easier and the toll on your health can be extensive. There are no good reasons to smoke - it smells, it is expensive. it is inconvenient and can lead to heart problems, cancer, emphysema, etc. Now, ask yourself: Do I want to smoke?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiishmob View Post
...ONE CIGARETTE IS GOING TO TURN INTO A PACK...
Oh punkiishmob, how I wish I had quit when I was 19 .... I did the same thing back then, I quit and got cocky and said "One cigarette won't hurt"... but guess what? It turned into two packs a day for another 30 years.... It's hell quitting at this age, please quit now... You don't need cigarettes to look good... Please, please quit now....

One cigarette is too many, 1000 cigarettes are not enough.

Please come back here often and let us know how you are doing.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you still need the 14 mg patch, continue it. I stayed on the 14 mgs for longer than suggested, I hated going down the the 7 mg one. My doctor said stay on the patch as long as I needed to, it's much safer than smoking.

I travel alot and I still have a few patches (7 and 14) in my suitcase. I think I'll keep them there as a security blanket.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
(male)

punkiishmob HB User

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and comfort.

I just took the patch off to see if this will improve my sleep tonight.

Another question:

How long do you think it will take for me to FINALLY get over the want of a cigarette? Not the nicotine, but just the overall thinking of "hrm. a smoke sounds amazing right now."

Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

punkiishmob,
After the first month, I knew I would never smoke again, but I used Chantix to quit.
It took me about 4 to 5 months before I could go a whole day without thinking about smoking. Not that long when you consider that I smoked for 40 years!!
You'll get there!! I know right now it seems like that will never happen, but it will!! Just takes time.

Memaw

Old 03-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #7
(female)

wailana HB User

Hang in there, you can do this!

Wailana - Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 10 Hours and 28 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 324 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $84.12.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi Punkiishmob,

I quit cold turkey when I was 19 just like you. You had a bad crave yesterday, but relax because they will go away little by little until they are no more than a memory.

However, I've got to warn you. Don't even think about smoking a cigarette ever again.

I told you I quit just like you when I was 19. It lasted for a whole year. I was pretty proud of myself. Saved a bundle in cash. One night I went out clubbing with a friend. She was smoking a new kind of cigarette. We were drinking - not much. She said "Here, try it...". I took a puff. A little later I asked for a whole one. Before the night was over I smoked three more. Then I bought a whole pack on the way home that night. The rest is history.

From that point forward I smoked for the next 35 years. Could not get away from the damned cigarette addiction. I turn 50 this May. Believe me you would be amazed at how fast the time flys. My biggest regret is that I took that one ******* puff back in 1976. It was all downhill after that. You would not believe how destructive cigarettes are.

I have been quit for six weeks as of today using Chantix and let me tell you I will never take another puff. The quit was hard enough and I don't want to ever have to do it again.

The addiction to nicotine has often been considered worse than the addiction to cocaine. You are addicted to cigarettes. The addiction does not go away even if you quit. You are controlling the addiction right now by not smoking any more. It's tough, isn't it? Let me tell you that addiction will jump right back and control your entire life the second you take a puff. That's just how nasty this addiction is. It NEVER FORGETS YOU, even if you may have forgotten IT.

Protect your quit buddy, trust me. Been there, done that...

Kevin__

Old 03-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Oh, and did I tell you how to protect your quit?

Well you have to pat yourself on the back. Reward yourself with little things and big things. Be proud of yourself. And do it every single day. You will be amazed at how this will alleviate some of the stress you are feeling right now.

Hey Punkiishmob, we're all pretty proud of you after you beat that last crave. Keep up the good work, and please, please coming back and keep in touch.

Kevin__

Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiishmob View Post
How long do you think it will take for me to FINALLY get over the want of a cigarette? Not the nicotine, but just the overall thinking of "hrm. a smoke sounds amazing right now."
punkishmob, the younger you are when you quit, the better it is for you. I've talked to people who smoked for 30 years that are quit 10 years and they say they still think about cigarettes. I've talked to people who only smoked for a couple of years when they were younger and they say they don't even remember what it was like to smoke back then. Unfortunately, I am in the former group and will probably remember them the rest of my life (I am slightly older than Kevin ). But you know what? That's okay (the remembering, not my age ) because my life will be longer now that I've quit.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
(male)

punkiishmob HB User

Right on, thank you darling.

TWO MONTHS TODAY!

But now I have stupid midterms to finish by tomorrow. So I can't enjoy myself to dinner or Nintendo Wii ;]

Old 03-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Congratulations on TWO MONTHS TODAY Punkiishmob!!!

That is really awesome!!!

Midterms - yuck... I still remember what that was like.

Hang in there!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

punkiishmob,
CONGRATULATIONS!!! ON BEING SMOKE FREE FOR 2 MONTHS!!

Memaw

Closed Thread