It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
cold turkey... 23 hours and 18 minutes

So what is expected? I had my last smoke yesterday, March 13th at 11:30 AM. I just decided that smoking was more of a pain in the ars than it's worth. I'm not quiting because I am sick of it or I want to reap some great helth benefit from quitting. I'm quitting because it's not "convenient" anymore.

I feel better having a pack of smokes with me. I've had an unlit one in my mouth off and on over the past day. I believe that If I didn't have any with me the anxiety of not having any is worse than the fight within myself to no light on up. I know this is different for everyone.

So.... what should I expect in the days to come? This hasn't been all that difficult... yet. Yes I am thinking about it all the time. I haven't told to many people because I don't want them asking me all the time how it's going. I'd rather get a few days behind me and then say something.

Good luck to everyone on beating this. What a stupid thing to get hooked into... isn't it?!

Stacia

Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

Re: cold turkey... 23 hours and 18 minutes

oops! It won't let me edit my post. It was March 12th.... not the 13th.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
I had my last smoke yesterday, March 12th at 11:30 AM.
It is such a great decision to quit smoking Stacia! Welcome to the Quitter's Club!!! Every quitter has different experiences, I still have an urge or two even 10 months later. BUT, you have found the greatest place and people on the internet to help you quit! If you get to the point where you just have to have a cigarette, please go buy some nicotine gum or the patch, it will help you so much. Keep coming back here and let us know how you are doing!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Congratulations Stacia!!! I know what you mean when you say smoking is such an inconvenience. It really is a royal pain, and expensive too!

I imagine you will feel pretty much the way you do now for the next two days while the nicotine is working it's way out of your system. After three days just about all the nicotine will have left your system. Then things should begin to get slightly easier day by day. After that you will be dealing more with the habit then the addiction withdrawal.

Hope this helps...

Kevin__

Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
(male)

CTYankee HB User

Congratulations Stacia, I also quit "cold turkey" with little difficulty. Everyone is different. I am finding it more difficult now after 16 weeks quit than I did for the first several weeks. I agree with your statement it is not convenient to be a smoker but I was not strong enough to quit for that reason. My reason is for health. There are many good people on this forum that will encourage and support you. There are many advantages to becoming a non-smoker and I am sure you have heard them all, as I have. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Old 03-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Congrats to you Stacia! One day quit is fantastic! I personally think the first day is absolutely the hardest day and after that, you can certainly get through the rest of the days. Kevin is right about getting rid of the nicotene and I drank as much water as I could those days. one for something to do and the other to flush my system out. Keep coming here for support as it was what kept me motivated and going those first few days (and still does)!

Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
(female)

Thanks all for the comments and encouragement. It's appreciated.

Kevin... It actually hasn't been horrible. I'm at the 32 hour mark. I really expected it to be much worse right now. Maybe my mind is in the right place.... got me?! But I do walk around with an unlit cig in my mouth.

CTYankee... I really don't like hearing that week 16 was bad. I thought if I made it till Mionday I'd be through the worst. Ugggg!

The reason why I'd been thinking about this is because I took a new job. I now work from home, which I can smoke when I want and where I want, and I will be doing some traveling. Next week is my first week away on business. This is where I thought the smoking was going to be a huge inconvenience. I will meet up with three other co-workers... we will share the same rental car for the week... they booked me a non-smoking room... and I'm just betting that they arn't smokers. Besides the fact that I'd be embarrassed to have them wait to leave from the office to go back to the hotel (or something like that) because I need to finish my smoke... stuff like that.

This wasn't a decision for me to quit with a start date etc. On Monday at 11:30 I thought I would start keeping track of the times I am smoking, just to see how much. 12:30 rolled around... thought passed my mind to go have one and i decided to wait one more hour... then another hour went by and I was kinda having fun counting the hours. Soooo.... I thought if I could get this week out of the way with no smoking, next week will be all that much better for me.

Again thanks guys! This is a tough thing to do, especially when you still like doing it. I ramble sometimes too... sorry 'bout that.

Stacia

Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Stacia,
Welcome!! Congratulations to you!! This is the best decision you could make for your health. That may not be the reason you quit, but you will definately be feeling better soon. How long have you smoked?
You will have good days and you will have bad days. Smoking is an addiction. And you will have withdrawals from it. You sound like a very strong willed person. If you want to quit more than you want to smoke, you will succeed.

Are you strong enough to keep cigarettes around and not smoke them? Some people can, but for some the temptation is too great.
Have you ever heard of straw cigarettes? You get straws and cut them the length of a cigarette. Then you stuff them with enough cotton to make them draw like a cigarette. You keep them all over the place. Inside, outside, in your purse, in your car. It helps with the hand to mouth thing.

There is a really good web site, smokefree.gov that has some wonderful information and suggestions on quitting. The forever free booklets can be downloaded to your computer and read when you get the time.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
(male)

CTYankee HB User

Stacia, week 16 was more difficult for me. That does not mean it will be for you. Everyone is different. I have read where the third week and the third month were difficult for several. That said, nothing will be as bad as the first week. You obviously have committed to quitting - you WILL succeed.

Cheers,

Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
Stacia,
How long have you smoked?

Are you strong enough to keep cigarettes around and not smoke them? Some people can, but for some the temptation is too great.
Thanks Memaw! I started smoking at the age of 17. In the beginning a pack of smokes would last a week and slowly that pack turned into lasting only a day. I'll be 36 in May.

Yes! I have cigarettes around me all day. I smoke an unlit one on and off during the day. The anxiety for me would be greater to not have them around. At least if they are here, I feel like I am making the choice to not smoke them. Not like someone took them away from me.

Soooo.... Its been 44 hours and 10 minutes! WOO HOO!!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #11
(female)

mangojunky HB User

EXCELLENT JOB Stacia!
I couldn't do it - it's great that you have the strength and the will-power.
deb

Old 03-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Two whole days?!?!? That's FANTASTIC Stacia!!!

Congratulations!!!

One more day and all the nicotine will be completely out of you system. Keep up the good work!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
(female)

Thanks Kevin!

I'd be lying if I told you I didn't want one. We'll see how I feel tomorrow afternoon, see if there is any difference since the nicotene will be all out of my system. I'd think it would take longer than 3 days.

53 HOURS!!!

~Stacia

Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

You go girl!!!

You're awesome!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Stacia,
Even though it takes 72 hours for the nicotine to be flushed from the body, the withdrawals will last longer than that. They can last from 1 week to 3 weeks. But you can make it!! You are doing super now!!!

Memaw

Closed Thread