It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
(male)

punkiishmob HB User
What started your smoking habit?

My ex girlfriend from my Sophomore year. Her mom is paralyzed from the waste down, and has emphysema. EverytimE i would walk into their house she was always on her bed with a morphine lollipop and a cigarette in her mouth. Kind of white trash family I got myself into. I'm much more classier than that :]

Anyways, she got me started on my first cigarette. THen I started asking people to buy me Red 100's, which I think got me addicted. The feeling of addiction I remember it: I was in my father's office when I felt kind of a gnawing frustration pain-esque thing around my upper stomach. I didn't know what it was, until I left his office, smoked a cigarette, and then it went away. That's what the cravings felt like for me.

What got you guys started?

Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: What started your smoking habit?

I blame my sister!
We were in high school. We had relatives staying with us, and my sister stole a pack of cigs and we snuck out back and smoked. I'm fairly certain we continued because we thought it was cool - and our friends smoked. I remember it being disgusting at first. If I could go back in time.......
deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

rdbroxton HB User

I would say what got me started initally was growing up in a house full of smoker's. I will never forget when I was sixteen...I thought I was smoking then my cousin taught me how to inhale while smoking....I was all grownup then or so I thought. Also, all my friend's smoked and I didn't want to feel left out of the group so I lit up too and have lit up since until 20 days ago. (The best decision I ever made!!) whoo hoo!!

I am so grateful to have Chantix and you wonderful group of people. I know I don't post much but I do read them, I just want to let everyone know that I really appreciate all of you very much and I am really really glad to have this support!! Much love to all!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
(male)

CTYankee HB User

All the cool people in the movies did!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Yep at my age it was cool back then. Almost everyone smoked. I wish I knew then what I know now because I would have never started. Never really considered myself a smoker until my 30's but for probably 15 years before that did on occassion but not constant. Now i go from a none , to a couple a day, to a half pack , to a pack, to a little more than a pack. Depending on how stressed out I am. I hate them. Have quit several times, the longest being a year. will try again just not sure when. I am not ready.

ICC

Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Both my parents smoked but I always said I would never. What happened is being out with friends (age 14) and smoking. One of my 'friends' kept making fun of me for not inhaling. This happened on a few occasions and while not with them would smoke to practice inhaling until finally she stopped making fun of me. Of course I was hooked by then and of course she never did end up becoming a 'smoker'. ARGH! Oh well, what I get for giving in to peer pressure!

Ah, but a happy ending 27 years later... I'm an 'ex' smoker!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

Joryzmom HB User

Both of my parents smoked too, I used to hide their cigarettes and get in huge trouble. My sister and I would try to sneak out and smoke but we always got caught lol.
What started me smoking, BOTH times /sigh were really stupid reasons. The first time, I was 18 and went to a family get together, there was my cousin who was a month younger than I and she was married with a new baby. She was smoking. I felt so immature next to her, and thinking back, I was lol. I went and bought a pack that day and started smoking. After I married and had my first son, I quit (Dec. 1989).
I started again in 1996, when my Father-in-law, died. My sister-in-law and I were driving around running errands and she offered me a cigarette, unfortunately I took it and went and bought more. She was a ex smoker too ; ;

Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Like a lot of people both my parents smoked. I grew up in it. I was probably 12 or 13 the first time I tried to smoke. I would smoke one here and one there until I was 17. I was dating this guy that smoked. He would always ask me to light him a cigarette when he was driving. Then one day I lit me one too. That's when I started smoking regularly. It wasn't until I was about 24 or 25 that I realized that I could not quit. I had told someone that I could quit anytime I got ready. They challenged me to stop. WOW! It was the first time I realized that I couldn't just stop!!

Memaw

Seven months, 1 hour, 58 minutes and 34 seconds. 4241 cigarettes not smoked, saving $636.25. Life saved: 2 weeks, 17 hours, 25 minutes.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
(female)

Karen1711 HB User

I was 17 and my boyfriend let me try one of his regular flavor (Pall Mall, I think it was) and boy, it made me so sick! That was it for me, or so I thought... Then one day my mom's friend left her pack of Salem(menthol)cigarettes on the coffee table. I tried one out while they were gone and was able to inhale that much easier than the regular cigarette. That got me started and later I switched to regular flavor as the menthol made me sick . Way back then it was still cool to smoke and there weren't all the warnings you see today.

1 month, 3 days, 15 hrs, 11 min, 54 sec=Smoke Free..and glad of it!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
(female)

wailana HB User

My parents don't even smoke. I use to puff here and there when I was about 12/13 years old while babysitting. The people I babysat for had cigarettes and I use to sneak one. I like the buzz I got. Fast forward to age 18 years. It started on the weekends during graduation parties, I didn't drink alcohol at the time so I figured smoking was the alternative. Then I smoked through college, thought I'd quit after that, nope, stuck with it till now, age 30.

I'm so happy to have quit now. That darn smoke buzz is what got me!!

~~Be true to yourself in the paths that you choose~~
Wailana - Free and Healing for One Month, Six Days, 9 Hours and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 4 Hours, by avoiding the use of 344 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $89.18.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:47 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulagizmo View Post
Both my parents smoked but I always said I would never. What happened is being out with friends (age 14) and smoking. One of my 'friends' kept making fun of me for not inhaling. This happened on a few occasions and while not with them would smoke to practice inhaling until finally she stopped making fun of me. Of course I was hooked by then and of course she never did end up becoming a 'smoker'. ARGH! Oh well, what I get for giving in to peer pressure!

DITTO, almost exactly the same, but in my case 31 years

Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulagizmo View Post

DITTO, for me too, only 35 years... Pretty sad, huh?

Kevin__

Old 03-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Hee, the 3 of us with similar starts. Well LOOK AT US NOW, you little meanie!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
(female)

Shelby7777 HB User

I think mine was the dumbest of all....I was in high school (late 70's) and my parents did not smoke. However, all of my friends did. I always declined their offers of a smoke. But since I was with them, I smelled like smoke. My mom actually grounded me for smoking ...just from the smell. She never believed me. So being a stupid teenager.....if you are going to get in trouble anyway....just as well start.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Well I didn't start smoking until I was in my thirties. What an idiot, but my ex husband used to smoke 2 cigs before he went to bed every night. No more ever during the day, just those two. So as we started fighting more and more one day I took one of his cigs out back and lit up thinking, fine, if you can do it, so can I. I remember nearly passing out, and almost throwing up, and then it passed. So one led to a couple, etc. but he never knew. I buried so many butts in his back yard, I wonder if he ever found them Serves him right

Closed Thread