It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User
Question about the notorious weight gain...

I've done a search on these boards about this topic and it has left me wondering one thing. I'm getting the impression that when you quit smoking your metabolism bottoms out and you begin to gain weight. But after a while your metabolism will return to normal once your body adjusts and you can lose again??? Is this correct? I worry very much about this weight gain since I am sick (doctors can't figure out what is wrong with me) and one of my symptoms is exercise intolerance. So, I can't exercise without becoming very ill. Weight gain is also a symptom of my illness. I've already gone from 135-153 (I'm 5'5 and 1/2) and really can't afford to gain anymore. I've had my thyroid checked numerous times and that always turns out fine. Anyway, back to my original question. If this is true, about how long does it take for things to amp up again?

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 03-15-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

the black widow HB User
Re: Question about the notorious weight gain...

Unfortunately when you stop smoking one of the effects on your body is the slowing of your metabolism. No matter what people say it happens to your body naturally. One of the main reasons people gain weight when they stop smoking is because your appetite is naturally increased without the nicotine in your body. Now it is up to you whether you choose to eat healthy foods and snacks or just indulge on whatever comes to mind. I have heard stories on weight gain that are very minimal or even losing a few pounds to the total opposite and persons gaining up to 25 to 30 pounds.

True story: I had a good friend stop smoking for two months last year and gained 18 lbs in those two months. Shortly after that he started smoking again and lost 17 lbs of that within 6 weeks . I will tell you though that while he stopped smoking he ate all the time and became a smoothy king junkie..LOL

I've noticed over the last few days that when I sit down and eat meals I seem to be eating alot more than usual, but I am trying to keep my meals geared mostly towards low fat and higher protein as I am fighting high cholesterol issues as well. I have also put extra effort into my workouts to help burn off those extra calories. I hope this helps you some.

James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

Thanks guys. Any support given helps. I appreciate your responses. However, I'm still left at square one. Everything I've read, says "Exercise, exercise, exercise!" But I can't exercise. Its as if I'm literally allergic to it ever since I got sick. I haven't even been able to lose weight as a smoker. I can only imagine the gain I have ahead of me when I quit. That's why I was asking if my body will eventually level out. After I quit and my metabolism goes, bye bye will my body ever adjust, enabling me to lose weight with out exercise?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

the black widow HB User

When you stop smoking your metabolism does slow down, but it basically returns to the level of a non smoker. So in other words smoking increases your metabolism as well as a number of other things such as your blood pressure and i believe your heart rate too. It won't bottom out as you were thinking its just that your body takes some time to adjust and return to normal. Almost everywhere I've ever read states that typical weight gains from stopping smoking are usually 8-10 lbs usually within the first month or two. I think even without exercise you can keep the weight gain to a minimum by closely monitoring your diet. I am not one to speak on diets as mine is not the best in the world. Hopefully your doctor can come up with a reason for your illness lately. I think that if you could start walking on a treadmill or just around your neighborhood daily that it would help alot in many ways and be a great starting point. Good luck on everything. We are all here to help you!

J

Old 03-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi again,
About 3,500 calories adds up to about 1 pound.
If you eat 3,500 calories more than your body needs, you will put on about 1 pound. If you use up 3,500 calories more than you eat, you will lose about 1 pound in weight.

So it's all about your caloric intake.

Memaw

Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
(female)

skydiva67 HB User

I read more than once that when you quit,you burn about 200 cals less a day than when you smoked.Just cut that amount from your daily caloric intake and see if that helps.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

you could always monitor your diet very closely instead of three large meals a day try 5 smaller ones, less carbs and more fruits and veggies. drink lots of water very little diet cola and a brisk walk. I lost 67 lbs that way.

Closed Thread