It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
(male)

Zebadee HB User
As time goes on I find it harder...

people say as time goes on you find it easier to quit, I'm 16 and started smoking last summer after leaving school and celebrating my results, I guess smoking was just a thing to do. I used to say 'every friday won't hurt', then it got to every couple of days having one, then every day having one, then every couple of hours, then I realised I need to quit before it got bad. It also gives me bad breath.

However, recently I've been tempted to have one. I haven't smoked a cigarette since new years eve (3 months ago) but had a shishe 1 month ago (no tobacco or anything in it, just water). I really want to stop myself from smoking, I've tried chewing gum and putting cotton in a straw and pretending its a cigarette, but the urge overrides me at times and I really need one as I'm writing this.

At times I think to myself damn I really need to smoke, and to be quite honest, if it didn't give me bad breath, I would do it as I enjoyed it a lot.

Any advice and motivation to keep me away from a cigarette would be appreciated

Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: As time goes on I find it harder...

Well Death comes to mind as a pretty good motivator. Fear of not being able to breathe also helped as a motivator. Causing harm to others that I love because I was a self center **** also helped. My Mother who studied opera and maybe smoked for a few minutes 40 some odd yrs ago has to go for a cat scan because they found something on her x-ray and if it turns out to be lung cancer it just may be my fault for smoking in the house while I was growing up,trying not to live with that kind of guilt should be a motivator. you still have the time to correct any damage you may have done take the opportunity because you won't get it again if you continue smoking.I spent my whole life saying I could quit anytime but I was just kidding myself and the longer you do it the harder the struggle to quit becomes. I started when I was 12 because I thought everyone on TV looked cool smoking I'll be 40 this year and just quit 9 months ago. Don't be an a** and start up again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
people say as time goes on you find it easier to quit, I'm 16 and started smoking last summer ...
gooner, please please please don't start again, the fun part of smoking is not worth the grief and pain it will cause you and others 35 years from now. It will be sooooooooo much more difficult for you to quit in 35 years .... I know, I'm there and it was horrible to quit at age 50. (But I only smoked 2 packs a day for 25-30 years ).

Please do something other than smoking.... you will be so glad years from now!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

gooner,
Do you know what the tobacco companies put in cigarettes?
Read this very carefully!! And then decide if you still want to chance smoking.
The more you know about this, the better able you are to understand why smoking is soooo bad for you.

Cigarette Smoke contains 3000-4000 chemical substances, and a few of them deserve mentioning:
Acrolein: a toxic, colorless liquid with irritating cancerous vapors

Carbon Monoxide: a highly toxic, flammable gas used in the manufacture of numerous chemical products. Inhalation of carbon monoxide interferes with the transportation of oxygen from the lungs to the tissues, where it is required.

Nicotine: a poisonous alkaloid that is the chief addictive substance in tobacco. It is also used as an insecticide and to kill parasitic worms in animals. One pack of cigarettes a day, inhaled, gives you enough nicotine to kill you outright if you were to receive it all in one dose.

Ammonia: a gaseous alkaline compund of nitrogen and hydrogen used as a colant in refrigerating and air conditioning equipment and in explosives, artifical fertilizers, and disinfectants.

Formic Acid: a pungent liquid gas used in processing textiles and leather. Exposure to the acid irritates the mucous membranes and causes blistering.

Hydrogen Cyanide: an extremely poisonous liquid used in many chemical processes including fumigation, and in the case-hardening of iron and stell. Cydrogen cyanide gas is used as the lethal agent in capital punishment.

Nitrous Oxide: a group of irritating and sometimes poisonous gases that combine with hydrocarbons to produce smog. Nitrogen dioxide can seaken bodily tissues and increases susceptibility to respiratory ailments.

Formaldehyde: a pungent gas used primarily as a disinfectant and preservative. It is extremely irritating to the mucous membrances.

Phenol: a caustic, poisonous acidic compound present in coal and wood tar and used in disinfectants.

Acetaldehyde: a highly toxic, flammable liquid that irritates the eyes and mucous membranes and accelerates the action of the heart. Prolonged exposure causes blood pressume to rise and causes proliferation of white and red blood cells.

Hydrogen Sulfide: a poisonous gas produced naturally from putregying matter and used extensively in chemical laboratories.

Pyridyne: a flammable liquid used in pharmaceuticals, water repellents, bactericides, and herbicides.

Methyl Chloride: a toxic gas used in the production of rubber and paint remover and as an antiknock agent in gasoline.

Acetonitrile: a toxic compound found in coal tar and molasses residue and use in the production of plastics, rubber, acrylic fiber, insecticides, and perfumes.

Propionaldehye: a colorless liquid with a suffocating odor, used as a chemical disinfectant and preservative as well as in plastic and rubber.

Methanol: a poisonous liquid alcohol used in automotive antifreezes, rocket fuels, synthetic dye stuffs, resins, drugs and perfumes.

Let's not forget arsenic!

Do you really want to put that in your body?

Smokers are at very high risk for:
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Lung cancer, Cancer of the mouth, cancer of the pancreas, breast cancer, cervical cancer, stomach cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer, bladder cancer, leukemia, coronary heart disease, circulatory problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pneumonia, influenza, the common cold, peptic ulcers, tooth decay, gum disease, osteoporosis, sleep problems, cataracts.

When my husband had heart bypass surgery, his surgeon asked him did he smoke. He told the doctor that he had never smoked! But that I, his wife, did. His doctor looked at me and then told my husband that he was considered a smoker because I had smoked in the house with him. Made me feel REALLY, REALLY bad.

Memaw

Closed Thread