It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
How do you deal with stress?

How do you deal with stress now that you don't no longer smoke?

Because we, as smokers, were so used to lighting up when we are in a stressful situation, we need to find other ways to deal with it.

We could think of ways to solve it and then act upon it.

We could do other things such as reading, exercise, deep breathing or take a walk.

We could talk to family members, friends, coworkers, people on this message board. Or we could join a support group.

We need to accept temporary stress. It will soon pass on its own whether we smoke or not. We need to learn this.

Memaw

Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
(female)

LucyRoberts HB User
Re: How do you deal with stress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
How do you deal with stress now that you don't no longer smoke?

Because we, as smokers, were so used to lighting up when we are in a stressful situation, we need to find other ways to deal with it.

We could think of ways to solve it and then act upon it.

We could do other things such as reading, exercise, deep breathing or take a walk.

We could talk to family members, friends, coworkers, people on this message board. Or we could join a support group.

We need to accept temporary stress. It will soon pass on its own whether we smoke or not. We need to learn this.

Memaw
As stupid as this may be... I head into my old smoking carvern. AKA the garage. I sit in my old smoking chair and breath. Real deep like and get a big whiff of all the stale nicotine and smoke still clinging to stuff and I get real grossed out.

Then, while I'm thinking about how gross it smells, I'm also thinking how glad I am that I'm not smelling like that anymore, and how much less likely my kids are to think I stink when they kiss me good night. I also like to think about how my hubby is probably happier to be making out with me now instead of an ashtray. And well when I start to think about making out with my hubby... all the stress seems to disappear.

Last edited by LucyRoberts; 03-18-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
(female)

wailana HB User

I take a deep breath and lots of positive self talk. When the stress is a little too high for me, I do think of smoking however, it goes away in a few seconds. I try not to get stress though, which is really hard.

Wailana- Free and Healing for One Month, Ten Days, 11 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 385 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $99.83.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

FIVE VERY SLOW DEEP BREATHS. This does the trick every time. I tried doing 10 but got so dizzy I nearly fell over!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
(female)

mangojunky HB User

1- Exercise is key for me.
2- Deep breaths
3- I try and put things in perspective....asking myself if I should really be upset, or if it could be worse.
4- I do my best to remember that smoking WON'T solve my problems
deb

Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

I haven't tried this yet as I just read it last night. I p/u Reader's Digest and they had 6 (I think) quick advice things and one of them (nothing to do with smoking but hey maybe it will work for us too):

1. It was shown that when women are stressed and hold their husbands' hand, their stress level immediately decreases.

That's not verbatim but best I can do from memory. WOrth a try!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Perhaps we should have a group hug

Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Here's a big hug for my:
((((((((message board friends))))))))

Memaw

Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
(female)

Skimmer HB User

I could use a big hug too!! And what if my husband isn't at work with me, should I just grab the guy in the next cube's hand and pretend??

Well, I would have to say, I don't have much stress either, and haven't really had to deal with it much, but I guess when it does happen, maybe I would grab some chocolate??

Lucy's funny - sitting in her nico-garage and breathing all that nastiness in - then thinking about her hubby (chic-a-boom), that's one way to change your thoughts for the better!! (bada-bing)

I cleaned my back porch up so good, it's not even funny, so I have no evidence of smokers around. Course, when I opened my windows? Guess what - the screens reeked of smoke and it was all blowing in the office - GROSS!!!!! So, guess I have some more cleaning to do. Which will relieve my stress - Then I'll eat some more chocolate.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Like Deb and True Brit, I also find exercise, deep breaths, putting things in perspective, and having a sense of humor helps tremendously. I find that patting myself on the back helps a lot too. I also find that is really helps to simply get busy with something. Smoking is certainly not going to make things better.

Like Skimmer, I also found it helped to clean as much of the smoke from the house as possible. I guess I was afraid that once I finished the Chantix, and really started to smell the stale smoke, that I would have increased cravings in the house. So I did about nine loads of laundry (most of it was already clean but smelled of smoke) and cleaned all 23 windows in the house this past weekend. Inside and out... Unfortunately I used to smoke in the house - everywhere... So I guess I have a ways to go yet.

Kevin__

Old 03-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

DEEP BREATH NAH THREE MUSKETEERS BAR YEAH BABY OOOH WAIT I KNOW ORGASM

Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom View Post
DEEP BREATH NAH THREE MUSKETEERS BAR YEAH BABY OOOH WAIT I KNOW ORGASM
LOL

Memaw

Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #13
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Kevin, not only will you have to clean and wash everything 100 times, you might need to paint the whole inside of the house!! I never smoked inside, I couldn't stand the smell of it. And I never like smoking hotel rooms - I needed some fresh air!! A good paint job thru-out the house ought to do it. And do you have carpets? I can always tell a smoker's house, versus non-smokers. It's amazing. And you probably don't smell it because you live in it. Go on vacation for a week and come back - my dog used to stink up my house - and I never noticed it until being gone for a week. YUKO! Okay - maybe my place could use some more cleaning....hehehhe

Old 03-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi Skimmer,

You know something, I just had the whole second floor repainted last summer, and the whole first floor I repainted the year before. The very thought of having to repaint is enough to make me want to jump out a window.

To add insult to injury... I replaced all the carpeting on the second floor last summer too, AND I replaced all the carpeting on the lower level the year before too.

The very thought of having to repaint everything and clean carpeting is enough to make me want to jump out a window. I thought it was real funny you mentioned that though, because that was exactly what I've been thinking over the past few weeks. I've been in my house for 15 years now.

My sister and her family bought a much bigger house about five years ago. Both the former owners smoked, so needless to say, she got quit a discount on this new house. Seems she really made a killing on the sale. However once she moved in she had the entire house repainted, ripped out all the carpeting, and installed brand new carpeting. She said she could not stand the smell of old / stale cigarette smoke. She tried to clean the carpets but it did not work apparently.

Groan...

Kevin__

Old 03-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Sorry folks... My previous post is NOT how you deal with stress...

Kevin__

Closed Thread