It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

ali1231 HB User
what should I do??

I have been on chantix today is the 8th day, so today is the day with no smoking, but I feel so yuk, can not sleep at night so that worries me and then my anxiety starts. Bad dreams or dumb ones. And I kinda want a cig right now, i don't know if it is because I know it will relax me or what. But the yuk feeling is driving me crazy how long does this last??

Thanks
Alicia

Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: what should I do??

I know the feeling..but it will not relax you!! You know and I know that. Plus your on Chantix?? The cig will not do anything for you no rush, no taste nothing.

Breath, take a walk, get out of your element if you have to. And take it day by day..today I will not smoke, just for today.

I used to freak out when I quit!! What if someone dies?? then can I smoke. What if the hubby makes me mad??? then can I smoke.

I did take xanax for anxiety attacks that started after I quit. If you keep having problems call your Dr...mine supported through it all. Now I have 7 months quit..c'mon you can do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

Karen1711 HB User

Exactly what Reyne said! And yes, you can do it! Remember, we are here for you through the bad times and the good so keep us posted.

Karen

Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Alicia,
Hang in there. The first day is the hardest,but think of how proud you'll be when you wake up tomorrow....smoke FREE.
Insomnia and dreams are part of withdrawals, and side effects. I ended up cutting my dose back to 1 mg in the morning, but I was in week two. I am a month quit, and my sleeping is almost back to normal. For awhile I didn't think I was going to make it either, but I knew I had to quit and really wanted it, so I had some sleepless nights...but more importantly, I had smoke free days.
You are strong, and you will do GREAT!
keep coming back....it's a great support group here....they helped me a lot (and still do!)
deb

Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
(female)

dobie57 HB User

Alicia, Oh I know exactly how your feeling and most of the symptoms do subside or disappear. Just hang tough because not smoking is well worth putting up with a little yuk!

Six weeks two days smoke free

Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi Alicia: Congrats on your decision to become a quitter! That's great. Everyone seems to have some of the same side effects and everyone seems to have different ones. I had no problem w/ not being able to sleep. Rather, I couldn't get enough sleep. The side effects - for me, anyway - were about gone on the 11th day. Something that worked for me at the very beginning was lots of deep breathing and chewing gum....if I had a particularly strong urge to smoke. I also kept telling myself (and still do, for that matter) that a cigarette wouldn't solve anything going on in my life. I'm addicted to nicotine and one cigarette will take me right back to where I was before. I don't want that! I love being a non-smoker.

Like someone else said, come to this Board and write down what you're feeling if you think you just have to have a cigarette. That will help. The people here are great.

Good Luck!!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Hi Alicia.....feeling yuk is no fun, but it is way better than smoking! I am so happy I decided to quit - and it's been 3 weeks, 3 days, etc. This Friday will be one month smoke-free and it's so hard to believe. Those first few days were really tough. I was online 24/7 and talking to my sis and hubby all the time about their quits - we all quit together.

You will get thru this rough patch - it's tough but just be strong. I gets easier and easier. Sleep was hard for me too - and it drove me up the wall - but I didn't crave the smokes - which was good. Lots of cleaning went on, cleaned out drawers and pantries and clothes and detailed cars. Just keep yourself busy no matter what it is.

Good luck to you and keep coming back here - this board is wonderful support for you - anytime of the day or night....

Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Alicia you are a real trooper there! All of us wrote how bad we felt, and all kinds of mean words, and you say you feel "yuk". Too cute, but yes, all of us had some type of not quite right feeling, but most of it passed by the second week or so. I kind of tried to look at it as that was how my body was getting rid of nicotene. For whatever good that does for you, but smoking had become such a routine and part of everything I did, the side effects of Chantix were different, and the smokes didn't taste the same, etc. You may just need to try to sleep as much as you can. Drink lots of water, and ditto what everyone else said. Just try to get through ONE day, just 24 long hours, and it will get better. If today wasn't the day, then try for tomorrow, and don't think some people here didn't wait a day or two either. But if you haven't had a smoke yet today, OMG don't have one now! You are almost one day quit then. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
(female)

ali1231 HB User

Thank all of you, I need this...... Well I can honstly say I DID NOT HAVE ONE AT ALL TODAY. I still feel alittle yuck but not bad, I have alittle nervous feeling but I think tonight I will take something tonight cause I think I need it. I also bought suckers today lol. I will let you know how it goes tom. But one day is pretty good so far .

Alicia

Old 03-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Alicia,
That first day is soooooo hard. And you made it throught it!! Congratulations!!!
You are going to have nicotine withdrawal, but since you are on the Chantix, it won't be as bad as if you were going cold turkey.
Drink LOTS of water!! It will help flush the nicotine out of your body. Also it helps with the side effects of the Chantix.
Suckers are gooooood!! Just be careful and don't eat too many in one day. Calories!!! They are really good when you are in the car. But so is fruit. I ate a lot of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Still do!! Sugar free peppermint makes your breath smell good!!
Come on back here an post anytime you are feeling like you need a cigarette, or you need to complain, or you need to have something to do with your hands. The people on this board are the best on the Internet. They will help get you through the tough times.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 03-19-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #11
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Alicia, CONGRATS on day one!!!
GREAT JOB!
deb

Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 AM   #12
(female)

ali1231 HB User

Talked to the dr. last night, and told him how I was feeling so yuck, he told me to try to skip days he said he had someone else that felt like this so that is what they are doing and doing great, he said we will try that and if that does not work we will cut dose. But I can tell you right now, this morning I am not even wanting one at all. So we will see how the day goes.

Alicia See yall later tonight have a great day

Old 03-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
(female)

Marguerite J HB User

Alicia,

Way to go!!!!! You can do it!!! Think positive and keep positive thoughts, don't let the nicotine devil win!!!!

Marguerite
I have been quit for 7 days, 20 hours and 44 minutes (7 days). I have saved $36.40 by not smoking 280 cigarettes. My quit date 3-14-07 (put out last cigarette 11:59pm 11-13-07).

Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
(female)

ali1231 HB User

thank you and way to go, well it is my second day I did not take any pills and I did not feel yuck today . I have to take them tom and I am not looking forward to that But I can tell yall that I did not even want to smoke again so two days down. Well way to go to all of you. It is great to talk to yall, I have new best friends.
ttyl

Alicia

Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Alicia,
Sounds like you have a plan. Good!!
And way to go on day two. Remember it's one day at a time.
You can do this. I haven't told anyone the motto lately. Want to hear it?
Smoking is no longer an option. Just keep telling yourself that.

Let's see now....after 8 hours without a cigarette the carbon monoxide level in the blood drops to normal and the oxygen level in blood increases to normal. Sounds pretty good, huh?
After 24 hours without a cigarette your chance of having a heart attach decreases.
After 48 hours without a cigarette the nerve endings start regrowing. Your ability to smell and taste is enhanced. That's always good!!
After 2 weeks without a cigarette your circulation improves. Walking becomes easier. Lung function increases.
From 1 to 9 months...coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decreases.
1 year....excess rish of heart disease is decreased to half of that of a smoker.

Now don't that sound wonderful!?

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Closed Thread