It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
(female)

river525 HB User
HELP - lots of ???s re: Chantix and Hypnosis

OK I need to quit smoking - I know that but my mind is extremely stubborn and I literally have a rebel like attitude that says I can smoke if I want to.
It's almost like I use smoking as a reward if I do something good -- definitely a habit.

Anyway........curious to know if anyone has tried hypnosis and if it worked.

Is Chantix like Wellbutrin and anti depressant? Can I take Chantix with Wellbutrin (I take it for depression) and I also take Adderall for ADHD.

I have quit cold turkey before for surgery and when I was pregnant and had no desire for one but the minute I was past the "danger" period I rewarded myself with a cigarette and wham I'm back to smoking. I hate the smell, I never smoke in public, and I want to quit but my sick mind seems to enjoy my little secret of smoking. Sick, huh?

Anyone have any advice or helpful hints?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: HELP - lots of ???s re: Chantix and Hypnosis

Hi river525,
Glad you recoginze that you need to quit. At least you are thinking about it. That's a start.
Chantix acts on the areas of the brain affected by nicotine and helps those who smoke cigarettes to quit smoking in two ways: by providing some nicotine effects to ease the withdrawal symptoms and by blocking the effects of nicotine from cigarettes if they start smoking again. It is not anything like Wellbutrin. It is not nicotine replacement either. As far as I know the Chantix does not interfer with any medications. BUT you need to check with your doctor or pharmacist.

About the hypnosis....I have not tried that. But my brother did a few years back. It worked for him for about 2 years. Then he started back smoking. I don't know why he didn't go get hypnotized again.

You know all smokers "reward" themselves with a cigarette. That's what we do. (or did, I should say!!) Got out of bed. yippie..go smoke a cigarette. cleaned the kitchen up....good going...go smoke a cigarette. had a bad day...I know how to cure that...go smoke a cigarette. You need to start watching and noting when and why you smoke. Also try putting it off as long as you can and only smoke when you NEED one, not WANT one.

I urge you to stop smoking by whatever means is right for you. You will not believe how much better you will feel. I didn't know I felt so bad until I began to feel so good. I can take a deep breath now and not start coughing. I can laugh myself silly and not start coughing. I smell soooo much better. My husband says I taste better too. My kisses are a lot sweeter. He loves to smell my hair now. He has always been a non smoker.

There are all kinds of reasons to quit. Find yours.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 03-19-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

There is no reason why you couldn't take Chantix and have hypnosis as well. Chantix deals with the physical side and maybe hypnosis would help your subconsious "want" to stay quit no matter what. I listened to self hypnosis CDs for quitting for the first few days. I am not sure that they really did anything but they were soooo relaxing. That in itself was therapy.
GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED

Old 03-20-2007, 02:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
There is no reason why you couldn't take Chantix and have hypnosis as well. Chantix deals with the physical side and maybe hypnosis would help your subconsious "want" to stay quit no matter what. I listened to self hypnosis CDs for quitting for the first few days. I am not sure that they really did anything but they were soooo relaxing. That in itself was therapy.
GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED
That's a good point True Brit. Hypnosis didn't do much for me alone, but with Chantix, I bet it would have helped.

21 days smoke free

Old 03-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

River525: wow, you sound like me. I had that rebel type attitude too. I saw the Mad Russian 3 years ago (he is NOT a hypnotist but manipulates your bioenergy so you feel sort of like that you were never a smoker). In any case, my mother and I went together---she hasn’t smoked since. I had absolutely no urges and no withdrawal but kept telling my mind how the hell can he blow in my face (literally that is what he does) and I don’t want to smoke anymore. Long story short, I started smoking just to prove that that crap doesn’t work. Stupid, huh?! As far as Chantix, my doc gave me the Rx in Dec., I filled it in Jan. and didn’t start until Feb. I had to mentally prepare for it PLUS I had an attitude that I enjoyed smoking and that it probably wouldn’t work (deep down I hoped it would but wanted it to be easy cuz I have 0 willpower). Lo and behold, I was pleasantly surprised and am 5 weeks quit. I won’t say I haven’t had ‘times’ but all in all it has been fairly easy. It is def. worth trying but do be sure and check with your doc (and the pharmacist) about mixing with other Rx’s. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh and re: hypnosis. My BF and I went to a group session 5 1/2 years ago. Worked for him. I think every person is different -- you just have to find the right 'quit' method for you.

Last edited by paulagizmo; 03-20-2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: adding

Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
(female)

Skimmer HB User

River and Paula - Yeah - sounds like me too!! Rebel without a cause so I'll smoke instead... And Memaw, this part is so true -
You know all smokers "reward" themselves with a cigarette. That's what we do. (or did, I should say!!) Got out of bed. yippie..go smoke a cigarette. cleaned the kitchen up....good going...go smoke a cigarette. had a bad day...I know how to cure that...go smoke a cigarette. You need to start watching and noting when and why you smoke. Also try putting it off as long as you can and only smoke when you NEED one, not WANT one.

So, yes you have to make up your mind that you want to quit this secret self-destructive behavior. You are worth saving, life is worth living. I used to think, I know smoking is killing me, but who cares? It's my life and I can do whatever I want!! Plus I enjoyed it too much. But only in secret. I hated hiding it and the looks you would get when you were out and decided to light up. I was always worried people were staring at me - poor thing, look at her......."SMOKING!"!! Welp! NO MORE. I have quit for good and it's great!!!

I hope you make the decision to do it River - we will all be here for support if you need us. Everyone has been down that long, difficult road, but it's so worth it, every step of the way. Good luck to you!!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
(female)

river525 HB User

WOW!! Thanks for all the great responses!! I am going to call my doctor right now and get a prescription and call this hypnotist that has been highly recommended. I have got to do this and darnit (lol) I know I can b/c I have quit in the past I just need to quit once and for all. The stupid thing is my husband doesn't smoke nor does any of my friends, etc. so I'm constantly the outsider and so concerned about smelling like smoke, etc. and feel like such a hypocrit (sp?). I am such the closet smoker and embarrassed that I still smoke - so here goes nothing (or should I say everything) I have GOT TO DO THIS!!!

I'll keep you updated. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Hi i want you to no i went for hypnosis three years ago to quit smoking in a group setting and it didn't work. I was told by some of my friends that to go to only one that is private. Today is wed. and i have an appointment at 3 p.m. i also have to quit smoking. The hypnosis today is 2-3 hours.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
(female)

river525 HB User

oh please let me know how it goes.....I wasn't going to do the group one - too embarrassed to do that....so I just called the hypnotist that is very highly recommended who does private sessions and am waiting for him to call me back.....but I really want to hear how it goes for you. I also called my doctor for a prescription for Chantix. The nurse told me her daughter used it and has not wanted one since summer of last year! Lord I hope this works.

Good luck today and PLEASE report back on how it went

take care

Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by river525 View Post
WOW!! Thanks for all the great responses!! I am going to call my doctor right now and get a prescription and call this hypnotist that has been highly recommended. I have got to do this and darnit (lol) I know I can b/c I have quit in the past I just need to quit once and for all. The stupid thing is my husband doesn't smoke nor does any of my friends, etc. so I'm constantly the outsider and so concerned about smelling like smoke, etc. and feel like such a hypocrit (sp?). I am such the closet smoker and embarrassed that I still smoke - so here goes nothing (or should I say everything) I have GOT TO DO THIS!!!

I'll keep you updated. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!!!
Chances are that your hypnotherapist will tell you that you won't be needing drugs as well as the therapy so you may have to make a choice at some point. Do let us know though, promise?

Last edited by True Brit; 03-20-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
(female)

river525 HB User

oh I promise I will let you know. I'm meeting with him this Friday at 11:30!! He said it usually takes just ONE session so I'm hopeful. One of the main triggers for my smoking is Diet Cokes (been drinking them for over 20 years)and so we are going to try to get that habit gone too! YIKES......I feel like I'm about to bury my two best friends. I'm excited yet sad? about all this. Luckily I see my therapist this Thursday.

Do I sound screwed up or what, LOL. But hey, atleast I'll be healthy, right? Not to mention my personal trainer is thrilled to death with all this - she has been bugging me to death to quit so I can start doing trail runs with her, something I've been really wanting to do but couldn't because I would get out of breath and quit.

As far as the hypnotist possibly not taking the drugs; I'm not sure about that one. I didn't mention it to him and my doctor is calling it in this afternoon so should I hold off on starting the pills or should I go ahead and start? I'm thinking I need to go ahead and take them as my back up plan. Surely it couldn't hurt, right?

I wish I could bottle up all of you and mail you here to Nashville so everyone one of you could keep me motivated -- thanks so much

Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Hi River,

You are talking to a lot of closet smokers here, so you are not alone! Very few people knew I smoked, or at least I don't think they did. I would suggest the med and the hypnosis. I enjoyed smoking too, and had the same attitude, because I can. But I so wanted to quit too. The med, funny enough, makes me not want my Diet Coke either. I drink Pepsi but same thing. I will have one once in a while, and I used to have one every single day. And it made the smokes taste bad, so I just didn't want them anymore for the most part. So, think about that, I'm saving money not drinking soda, and not smoking! I'd say give the med a try, or start it after your hypnosis. Good luck and there are a lot of good people on these boards. Lots and lots of true help when you need it most.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
(female)

river525 HB User

thanks!! I just saw where you are from -- my son is in Boca Grande this week on Spring Break fishing!! And I love Tampa - we were there last year - great area and GREAT SHOPPING!!!

I'll let ya know how it goes

Old 03-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi River,

Congratulations on your decision to quit. I was a real rebel just like you. I was NOT a closet smoker. I told people it was my decision and that I will deal with the consequences later in life. I considered smoking to be a reward also. Unfortunately it was a nicotine addiction that reward you with death.

Then I got older and had to deal with the consequences. Then I got asthma and had to use an inhaler twice a day. Then I thought I really have to quit. My doctor confirmed it had to be real soon. It took me a few months to decide to quit but I knew that I had to "want to quit".

I quit using Chantix seven weeks ago. I could not have done it on my own with out this drug. Too much going on all the time. This drug worked just as expected for me.

Now I know this may sound funny (even corny) but now I consider myself a "rebel non-smoker". Oh I still strongly support the rights of smokers. But I WILL NOT SMOKE ANOTHER CIGARETTE...

Good luck on your quit. We're here for you!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Well River, you just start saving ALL that money that you won't be spending on smokes and plan a trip back to Tampa. International Mall is waiting for you!!! Yeah, unfortunately for all you guys up north, it is a delightful week for weather here. My boys are at the beach for Spring Break, I went swimming today outdoors, everything is in bloom. BUT, remember how we will be melting (just like the witch in wiz. of oz) in the summer Or blowing away like the house in the same movie.

Closed Thread