It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Caffeine - Coffee - Warning

I think I may have mentioned a few ewwks ago that I suspected that Chantix blocks caffeine, well, now I am CERTAIN that it does.

Two or even three cups of strong coffee have been how I have started my day for years and years. After starting Chantix I wondered why it seemed to take me ages to wake up properly in the mornings. Now I been off the med for 3 days and have noticed that after my coffee I am totally HYPER. Tomorrow I will have decaff mixed in. I wonder if this is a contributing reason for the brain fog that we have all suffered. If you have loads of caffeine and then start Chantix you are effectively giving up 2 drugs at once.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: Caffeine - Coffee - Warning

Hey True Brit,
day 3 off the chantix - how are you feeling?
deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangojunky View Post
Hey True Brit,
day 3 off the chantix - how are you feeling?
deb
Morning Deb,
Apart from the non stop slight craving, on top of the world thanks. Still hyper from caffeine overdose at breakfast. And you? Are you still enjoying being healthier, richer and FREE?

Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Wow, I am a coffee junkie (2-3 Medium Dunkin DOnuts in the a.m. and 2 at night). The a.m. ones used to be 2 but have found that 2 doesn't really 'do it' for me anymore. Funny I hadn't put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for continuing to share your 'coming off Chantix' experiences.

Ugh, gotta say 'non stop craving' has me a little worried. I know for me going from 2 to 1 pill a day I def. have more urges but I can't say that they're necessarily stronger. For you, being off of the Chantix, are they stronger or just more frequent?

Old 03-21-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulagizmo View Post
Wow, I am a coffee junkie (2-3 Medium Dunkin DOnuts in the a.m. and 2 at night). The a.m. ones used to be 2 but have found that 2 doesn't really 'do it' for me anymore. Funny I hadn't put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for continuing to share your 'coming off Chantix' experiences.

Ugh, gotta say 'non stop craving' has me a little worried. I know for me going from 2 to 1 pill a day I def. have more urges but I can't say that they're necessarily stronger. For you, being off of the Chantix, are they stronger or just more frequent?
Don't panic Paula'
I am trying to be as honest as I can with all symptoms. The low grade craving is like mild anxiety. Over reacting to coffee probably isn't helping this. Please believe that the relief of feeling like my old self far outweighs the mild cravings. I know these will disappear as soon as my brain accepts that no more Chantix is coming. What I don't have is that dreadful depression or the ghastly mood swings. Don't worry, if this happens to you, you will handle it, no problem but my advice is reduce caffeine when you reduce Chantix if you want to stay calm.

What is a Dunkin DOnut???Sounds fattening!!

Last edited by True Brit; 03-21-2007 at 05:56 AM.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
Don't panic Paula'
I am trying to be as honest as I can with all symptoms. The low grade craving is like mild anxiety. Over reacting to coffee probably isn't helping this. Please believe that the relief of feeling like my old self far outweighs the mild cravings. I know these will disappear as soon as my brain accepts that no more Chantix is coming. What I don't have is that dreadful depression or the ghastly mood swings. Don't worry, if this happens to you, you will handle it, no problem but my advice is reduce caffeine when you reduce Chantix if you want to stay calm.

What is a Dunkin DOnut???Sounds fattening!!
LOL! Silly me, Dunkin Donuts is a chain that has coffee and the like as well as donuts, etc. I LOVE (and am addicted) to their coffee! They are VERY big here (at least in the New England area).

After reading your earlier post about feeling yourself again, I am quite looking forward to that! I was just curious how your 'cravings' compared to mine (with the one pill). I am really looking forward to coming off. It's weird cuz I hadn't thought I changed over the past few years but looking back I was def. not as easy going as I used to be and felt stressed all the time. I chalked it all up to periomenopause. Now I feel so much better that I'm hoping that this feeling is more due to not smoking and not just Chantix effects.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

After reading your earlier post about feeling yourself again, I am quite looking forward to that! I was just curious how your 'cravings' compared to mine (with the one pill). I am really looking forward to coming off. It's weird cuz I hadn't thought I changed over the past few years but looking back I was def. not as easy going as I used to be and felt stressed all the time. I chalked it all up to periomenopause. Now I feel so much better that I'm hoping that this feeling is more due to not smoking and not just Chantix effects.[/QUOTE]

Oh I see!! Maybe Dunkin Donuts do decaff or maybe you will like feeling hyper. This continuous crave feeling is not the same as the increased crave feeling I had when reducing the med from 1mg to 0.5mg, although at 72 hours it is starting to feel more like that and less of a constant irritation. STOP WORRYING, IT'S NOT AS BAD AS PMT EVEN. When I talk about feeling like my old self, I mean how I felt mentally and emotionally before 26th December when I quit. In other words I think Chantix was making me over emotional and I didn't know till I stopped it. If you are peri you can get a test from the pharmacy so you will know one way or the other. It's a bit odd for us "ladies of a certain age" but I had my last period at the start of December, no peri symptoms. I quit smoking and have not had a bleed since. GP did tests and confirmed I am in full menopause. I reckon it was the sudden shock of quitting but it really adds insult to injury getting menopausal symptoms full on half way through week one of a quit. I AM NEVER NEVER NEVER GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN. This is the wording that I require on my next tee shirt.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

[QUOTE=Oh I see!! Maybe Dunkin Donuts do decaff or maybe you will like feeling hyper. This continuous crave feeling is not the same as the increased crave feeling I had when reducing the med from 1mg to 0.5mg, although at 72 hours it is starting to feel more like that and less of a constant irritation. STOP WORRYING, IT'S NOT AS BAD AS PMT EVEN. When I talk about feeling like my old self, I mean how I felt mentally and emotionally before 26th December when I quit. In other words I think Chantix was making me over emotional and I didn't know till I stopped it. If you are peri you can get a test from the pharmacy so you will know one way or the other. It's a bit odd for us "ladies of a certain age" but I had my last period at the start of December, no peri symptoms. I quit smoking and have not had a bleed since. GP did tests and confirmed I am in full menopause. I reckon it was the sudden shock of quitting but it really adds insult to injury getting menopausal symptoms full on half way through week one of a quit. I AM NEVER NEVER NEVER GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN. This is the wording that I require on my next tee shirt. [/QUOTE]

Hee, you are funny! And I thought all brits were Simon Cowell-ish (hee, just joshing with you; I am an American Idol fanatic)! Wow, as I reading your note, I was thinking that what I read about Chantix disrupting our periods was true in your case but I guess not. I did not know they sold ‘peri’ kits in the pharmacy. I‘ve never heard of that—will have to keep my eyes open. Geesh and I thought having my period the 1st week on Chantix was bad! I saw MORE KUDOS to you for what you went through!

I am so happy for you that you’re doing better (black depressions). Another good idea for a T-shirt too!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

I am so happy for you that you’re doing better (black depressions). Another good idea for a T-shirt too![/QUOTE]

A good dose of British humour never did anyone any harm, but if you don't mind I will leave the "black depression" tee shirt on the shelf. I have a sense of humour byepass about this thankfully brief episode that I would really prefer to forget. Oddly, I don't think Chantix stopped my periods, I think quitting was enough of a shock to do that. It could, of course, have been pure coincidence.
If you would like someone English to visualise I am a little tiny bit like Princess Diana, but older now of course, not as rich, better taste in men and a bit less of a "Hooray Henry".

Last edited by True Brit; 03-21-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

Having a 'black depression' myself I didn't mean that for a t-shirt. I was referring to your "I'm never going through this again". Sorry for the confusion.

Well hopefully you get through it quickly with minimal symptoms! Got my fingers and toes crossed for you!

HA HA, that was too funny----Princess Di----better taste in men! My BF just asked what the heck I was laughing at! Ha, I'm off to dinner with a friend. Have a good night!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hey True Brit,
You just might be on to something about the Chantix and the caffeine. I have been off caffeine for YEARS. Like over 15 years. I had to get off it because of fibro cystic breast disease. Made my breast so sore I could hardly stand to touch them. No caffeine..no sore breast!! Anyway...I did not experience the "brain fog" everyone was talking about. It has always taken me about an hour to wake up after I get up since I no longer drink coffee. But then, I'm good to go for the day.

You would love Dunkin Donuts!! Or even Krispy Cream Donuts like we have in the South! Oh my goodness....now I'm craving hot, fresh donuts!! Thanks ya'll!!

Memaw

Old 03-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Uh, oooooooohhhhhh.....

I am a HUGE coffee drinker. Though, with age, I had to cut back to drinking half regular / half decaf - all day long...

Hmmm.... I sense a real challenge on the horizon. Guess I'll stock up on decaf...

Thanks for the heads-up!

Kevin__

Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User

Dunkin Donuts are nothing compared to Krispy Cream. Oh baby. Thanks to them I'm now on a diet.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Tom!
How are you doing on your quit? Having any problems? Other than trying to keep away from Krispy Creams?

Memaw

Old 03-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Hiya Folks!
I had a couple of thoughts when this thread first came along and wonder if there is any thought to how the mechanics of Chantix work, stewing with our dopamine release and reception in the brain to block off the nicotine.
I've had lessening interest in my coffee the last few weeks and am down to one cup in the morning rather than 4 and none in the late afternoon (that usually helped me get dinner going) Kind of like if I were to have a smoke I imagine, just not doing 'it' for me.
Similarly, since all the way back to starting the Chantix Path, I started getting upset that my hifi just wasn't 'tripping' my trigger, and that is my big hobby.
Quit listening to music for a few weeks before finally putting an old tube amp on my peecee and listening to some old jazz. (There is hope!)
My point is, it may be that a lot of our former associations with stuff we liked might have new dynamics to them.
At least I still like my wife.

Regards,
DeadFish

Closed Thread