It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

paulagizmo HB User
Holds on to your keyboards: it could get busy!

Over the w/e I read that Pfizer announced the company that will be doing their multi-million $ Chantix advertising. I don't recall when it will start but once CHANTIX is out there (not just the 'mytimetoquit' commercials), I think this board's hits will grow exponentially!

I think it's going to put this board on the map (deservedly so) finally. I've said it before and I"ll say it again, I would NOT have made it this far (1M, 1W, 2D,16H) w/o this board so thank goodness if the word spreads, more people will join and have all the support they need right here to finally quit!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Re: Holds on to your keyboards: it could get busy!

I can't get my head round this advertising being allowed by drug companies. I don't think it is legal anywhere in Europe, certainly not Western Europe. Over the Counter stuff can be advertised but nothing needing a script. Everyone still gets to know though. The new obesity drug Acomplia is available in the UK now and EVERYBODY who can pinch more than an inch wants it. Not me though, I've had it with brain changing drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

It's interesting the differences. All sorts of meds are advertised here. Actually Pfizer did it different this time: not naming the drug---it just shows people talking about their various failed attempts to quit. Then it says go to 'mytimetoquit. com' and learn more and a new Rx option to quit. the site is Pfizer and there's a separate link to Chantix' page. I had also read an article that stated that Pfizer and others had decided on 'low profile' marketing due to some recent pulls of Rx drugs---this way they're playing it on teh safer side until the Rx is out there for a while and some word of mouth has gone on, then BANG, the true marketing begins. Seeing the commercials, ads and increase in this site will be interesting!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

I did a ****** search -- it's gonna be a 75 million dollar advertising campaign to be released later this year. I find their current sorta back door ads (my time to quit) very effective and makes one wanna investigate. I'm generally not a fan of big drug companies, but in the instance of Pfizer and Chantix I can't applaude long and hard enough. The stuff is great!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

I agree with True Brit, I can not get my head around this drug company advertising.

I America we spend $125 for Chantix. Then Pfizer spends $75,000,000 to advertise it in America.

People in England spend $0 for Chantix. (i.e called Champix in England) Pfizer spends $0 to advertise because drug advertising is illegal in Europe.

Did I miss something here... Bewildered here in the states...

At least it helped me quit smoking. I suppose every black cloud has a silver lining.

Kevin__

Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
(female)

paulagizmo HB User

IT really is unbelievable isn't it! I will never understand it. Why not supply $75M worth of the damned drug to US and word of mouth would take care of the rest (the rest being their profit margin). But as you said the silver lining is we quit and I guess that's what we should concentrate on.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Okay ya'll, now don't get me started on this subjuct.
It really burns me up the way the drug companies in the U.S. are making these billions of dollars. It just does not make sense to advertise something that you have to have a prescription for!! They could lower the drug cost and save all the advertising. Let the pharmcitical reps call on the doctors and leave samples and literature with them. Canada and England have much lower prescription costs. Before the "great medicare part D" plan, my husband was ordering his drugs from Canada. They are GREAT to do business with. Wished the mail order pharmacies in this country were half as good!!!! The cost of his meds there was one forth of what he would have had to pay in the U.S.
FOR THE SAME MEDICINE!!!! Sorry for screaming! I just get upset about the way the drug companies are ripping off the American people.
I'm glad Pfizer is trying to reach more people now. That means more people will be able to quit smoking. And for that I'm glad!

Memaw

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
(female)

MellieMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
Okay ya'll, now don't get me started on this subjuct.
It really burns me up the way the drug companies in the U.S. are making these billions of dollars. It just does not make sense to advertise something that you have to have a prescription for!! They could lower the drug cost and save all the advertising. Let the pharmcitical reps call on the doctors and leave samples and literature with them. Canada and England have much lower prescription costs. Before the "great medicare part D" plan, my husband was ordering his drugs from Canada. They are GREAT to do business with. Wished the mail order pharmacies in this country were half as good!!!! The cost of his meds there was one forth of what he would have had to pay in the U.S.
FOR THE SAME MEDICINE!!!! Sorry for screaming! I just get upset about the way the drug companies are ripping off the American people.
I'm glad Pfizer is trying to reach more people now. That means more people will be able to quit smoking. And for that I'm glad!

Memaw
ITA Memaw!!!!
I'm growing so weary of the ads...I think I've had restless leg syndrome all of my life...my whole family has it, we just called it the Ol' Jiggly Leg disease! We didn't think we needed MEDS for it! LOL! I still have it, and I won't be taking the meds! The sleep meds, now they're saying people are getting it, and DRIVING around and cooking meals on it! YIKES! IMO, if you really need it, your doc will tell you...you don't need to ask for it by name. Oh, and insurance SHOULD pay for Chantix, yes, it's offset by what we save on cigs, but think about what they'll save on future bronchitis costs and who knows what else (hate to think about it).

Old 03-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

It isn't quite that simple. In the Uk the NHS buys the drug and GPs prescribe it for free. We then pay in our taxes. Drug companies still charge the NHS very big amounts and someones the British people are denied treatment because the NHS say they cannot afford to buy the drugs. The cost to the NHS is available to see on some websites. The big difference is that pharmacists don't mark up the price at all. Instead they claim back the fee for the script from the NHS.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
(female)

mangojunky HB User

The advertising sucked me in - although I had been thinking about quitting. What really got me was the commercial "you don't always die from tobacco". I think the combination made me get off my rear and quit.
deb

Old 03-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
It isn't quite that simple Kevin. In the Uk the NHS buys the drug and GPs prescribe it for free. We then pay in our taxes. Drug companies still charge the NHS very big amounts and someones the British people are denied treatment because the NHS say they cannot afford to buy the drugs. The cost to the NHS is available to see on some websites. The big difference is that pharmacists don't mark up the price at all. Instead they claim back the fee for the script from the NHS.
Yikes!! Bureaucracy everywhere...

Thanks for the clarification True Brit.

Kevin__

Closed Thread