It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
Meemaw: A Weaning Question

Hi Meemaw: I copied the from one of your messages and would like to get clarification, please. You said:

"I sometimes have a hard time coming off of a drug that I've been taking for a while. My doctor had me to taper off the Chantix. The last 4 days (8 pills) he told me to cut the pills in half (16 halves). For 5 days I took 1/2 pill twice a day. Then for 6 days days I took 1/2 pill once a day. Then I just stopped. I had no problems coming off this drug the way I did it. I also have not had any bad cravings or urges to smoke. Just for a fraction of a second I forget that I no longer smoke. A 40 year habit will do that to you. But I have no problem not smoking."

If I'm reading correctly, you tapered off for 11 days. Does this mean, then, that you completed the full 12 weeks on the Chantix and then another 11 days on the weaning process? Thanks in advance for helping me understand.

I thank everyone for their support and encouragement during my quit process, but a REALLY SPECIAL thanks to you. You're just so great w/ everyone and I know it means as much to others as it does to me.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Meemaw: A Weaning Question

Trish,
That's about right. I was on the tapered down dose for almost two weeks. So that makes about 14 weeks on the Chantix.
This is what I did:
The last 4 days supply (8 pills) were split in half. (16 halves)
For 5 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 pill in the evening. (5 pills)
For 6 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning. (3 pills)
Then I stopped completely with no problems.

I suppose there are other combinations you could do to come off even slower than what I did.

I read your post on your conversation with Pfizer. Sheeese!! Talk about no help at all!!! See how much they (drug companies) care for their customers!!
I suppose we'll just have to use common sense and do what WE feel is appropriate for us. I'm glad my doctor had me to come off the way I did. This was his own "recipe" for coming off.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.
I know a lot of the people on this board will be needing to come off this drug pretty soon. We've got so many on this drug here.
Let us know what you decide to do and how your doctor advises you. Then keep us posted on how you feel while weaning off.

Thanks for the compliment! I've met some really good "friends" here. You being one of them.

Memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread