It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
Meemaw: A Weaning Question

Hi Meemaw: I copied the from one of your messages and would like to get clarification, please. You said:

"I sometimes have a hard time coming off of a drug that I've been taking for a while. My doctor had me to taper off the Chantix. The last 4 days (8 pills) he told me to cut the pills in half (16 halves). For 5 days I took 1/2 pill twice a day. Then for 6 days days I took 1/2 pill once a day. Then I just stopped. I had no problems coming off this drug the way I did it. I also have not had any bad cravings or urges to smoke. Just for a fraction of a second I forget that I no longer smoke. A 40 year habit will do that to you. But I have no problem not smoking."

If I'm reading correctly, you tapered off for 11 days. Does this mean, then, that you completed the full 12 weeks on the Chantix and then another 11 days on the weaning process? Thanks in advance for helping me understand.

I thank everyone for their support and encouragement during my quit process, but a REALLY SPECIAL thanks to you. You're just so great w/ everyone and I know it means as much to others as it does to me.

Last edited by Trish M&M; 03-22-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: I don't know why this message showed up twice. Sorry

Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
(male)

Kevin__ HB User
Re: Meemaw: A Weaning Question

Hi Trish,

Saw your question and found this post from Memaw made a day or two ago on a different thread and thought it might help. Here goes...

Memaw writes:

You take the 3rd month the same way you take the 2nd month. BUT some people or rather most people are cutting back toward the end of the
3rd month.

I came off it like this: The last 4 days supply (8 pills) were split in half.
For 5 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 pill in the evening. (5 pills)
For 6 days I took 1/2 pill in the morning. (3 pills)
I didn't have any problems getting off. Some people do.

Memaw

Hope this helps...

Kevin__

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Thanks, Kevin. If I'm understanding what you sent, Meemaw started her tapering 11 days as she approached the end of the three months. That seems reasonable to me.

Where are you in your quit? I'm sure I've seen it, but I can't keep up w/ everyone's great progress.

Thanks for the post.

Meemaw, if I'm wrong about the first paragraph, lemme know.

Ya'll are such good people

Old 03-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Right, you take the last eight pills, split them in half, and nurse them along for the following 11 days.

True Brit has had a pretty tough time with this approach though. She had to prolong the weening-off period due to nasty withdrawal symptoms. This is known to happen in only 3% of people taking Chantix, but can be pretty nasty. She has a wonderful thread describing her experience with some very insightful information.

I will be two whole months smoke free this Monday. Woo hoo!!! Now I have GOT to figure out something really neat to do to celebrate. I have three more weeks of Chantix to go before I start weening-off myself, so I have been paying a lot of attention to this subject. I am tired of the "Fog Brain" and would like to quit Chantix sooner, but I want to do everything I can to "protect" this quit. So I am going to stick it out.

Thanks for asking!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

I've been keeping up - with much interest - the experience TrueBrit has had. She's been a real trooper to keep us informed during her tapering journey....not to mention going thru it!

Unlike most people, I just DREAD coming off Chantix 'cause I feel so good. Other than the initial annoying things, this quitting has been a breeze for me. I almost (not quite) feel guilty about continuing to say how easy it's been and how terrific I feel when others are here nauseated, can't sleep, having bad cravings, etc. I have absolutely no idea why - after smoking 40 plus years - and trying everything else out there -- this pill has been so effective for me....and almost side effect free. I've been on Prozac for many years and I've begun to wonder if that has anything to do w/ it. I did a search, but couldn't find anything about using the drugs at the same time. Also, I wonder if my exercise program - which is intense - has made a difference. And...my (so far) successful plan of eating healthy.....and no one can know how much I hate eating healthy But, I have to say in all honesty that I've become quite fond of raw brocilli and cauliflower -- something I never thought I'd say!

So.....with all of the above, I don't want to stop feeling the way I do, which - literally - is better than I have EVER felt. And, another thought: maybe it's having stopped smoking. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but I also think the Chantix is playing a major role.

I don't know what else to say. I'm sure you all are glad

Old 03-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Well...I'm not finished after all! Kevin: please, oh please, do what True Brit has done and keep us advised each step of the way when you start weaning. And CONGRATULATIONS on your success!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Trish,
I answered you on the other thread about this. I didn't see this one when I answered. Sorry.
Memaw

Old 03-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish M&M View Post
I've been keeping up - with much interest - the experience TrueBrit has had. She's been a real trooper to keep us informed during her tapering journey....not to mention going thru it!

Unlike most people, I just DREAD coming off Chantix 'cause I feel so good. Other than the initial annoying things, this quitting has been a breeze for me. I almost (not quite) feel guilty about continuing to say how easy it's been and how terrific I feel when others are here nauseated, can't sleep, having bad cravings, etc. I have absolutely no idea why - after smoking 40 plus years - and trying everything else out there -- this pill has been so effective for me....and almost side effect free. I've been on Prozac for many years and I've begun to wonder if that has anything to do w/ it. I did a search, but couldn't find anything about using the drugs at the same time. Also, I wonder if my exercise program - which is intense - has made a difference. And...my (so far) successful plan of eating healthy.....and no one can know how much I hate eating healthy But, I have to say in all honesty that I've become quite fond of raw brocilli and cauliflower -- something I never thought I'd say!

So.....with all of the above, I don't want to stop feeling the way I do, which - literally - is better than I have EVER felt. And, another thought: maybe it's having stopped smoking. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but I also think the Chantix is playing a major role.

I don't know what else to say. I'm sure you all are glad
Hi Trish
I really don't think it is worth pre planning weaning off Chantix in too much detail. At the moment you don't know how you will respond. For me, it was NOT how I expected. In hindsight I wish I had stopped the med abruptly. The gruesome depression that I had several times when weaning did not happen at all when I stopped completely. This may be due to half a dose still having an effect on the brain whereas on zero med the feeling is more of something being missing for 2 or 3 days. You need to stop worrying about it until the time arrives and then go with the flow. The good news is that cravings only lasted 3 days and they were nothing like cold turkey cravings. YOU might not get any. Also the feel good factor you have stays after quitting Chantix. That feeling is you feeling better not smoking. In Paris I drank Champagne and a half bottle of red wine and felt fine the next day. When I smoked I would've felt headachy and yucky for the whole of the next day.
Whatever happens we are here to see you through

Closed Thread