It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
I Called Pfizer

I called Pfizer to see what they had to say about weaning off Chantix vs. just stopping after the 12 weeks were up. Well..........you talk about a "Who Shot John" conversation. Good Grief! The health care professional I spoke w/ was not someone whose 1st language was English and with my Southern accent we had one helluva time communicating. Bottom line: they have zip, zero, nada info. about weaning. She kept telling me to contact my physician....that I HAD to contact him before stopping. I kept saying if Pfizer didn't know anything about weaning, why would I call the doctor....he's no Chantix expert...and would only be attempting to get non-existent information from Pfizer. I FINALLY figured out that she thought I was talking about stopping the med early and not at the end of the 12 weeks. Jeez!!! I could use a cigarette.......NOT REALLY -- just a joke.

I finally got this out of her: If one is completely smoke free at the end of the 12 weeks, the person can just stop taking Chantix. If they're still smoking any at all, Pfizer suggests taking it another 12 week.

So....that's my report

Last edited by Trish M&M; 03-22-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
Re: I Called Pfizer

Hopsing: 10 DAYS!! That's great. I so happy for you.

I'm sorry about your mother...I didn't know.

Stay in touch during your quitting journey and let us know how it goes for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

I agree with you, Hopsing. Since we graduated in the beginning to a full dose, it just makes sense that we'd do the same thing in reverse when the end of the 12 weeks approaches. In considering this, I think I might do this when I have 4 pills left: 3 days of 1/2 pill x2 daily, 3 days of 1/2 pill x1 daily and 1/2 x1 every other day until they're gone. For some reason, it seems important to me to get some every other day dosage in there.

You all have NO idea how I wish I could stop obsessing over this. Oh well...I guess there could be worse things.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

acalusa HB User

I too called Phizer but during my first 3 weeks on the meds. The sleep side effect was really starting to take it's toll on me physically and mentally and I wanted to see if they had any suggestions. First, my entire conversation was documented, then I had to hold for 15 minutes so i could be connected with someone in the medicial department and again, needed to explain my entire complaint. After all of that I was told, "We can not give you medical advice, you need to consult your doctor". I explained that my doctor didn't know much about this med since it was so new. I then asked the same question but in another way, if this call were from a dr. who had a patient on chantix and she was having sleeping side effects, what should I do? She then said, I would tell the dr to have the patient cut down the dosage to half. Geez, all that just to confirm what I thought all along.

My prescription didn't have any notifications other then to take with a full glass of water and with food. I did stop after the first four weeks and did have side effects which I'm still having but I am still smoke free and it's been over 7 weeks now.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Trish and acalusa, thanks for chasing Pfizer down on this some!
I'm in agreement with your ideas about 'weaning' in terms of being 'path of least harm' at the end of our stay in 'ChantixLand'.
I expect the folks at Pfizer have to be awfully careful about what they say to ANYone (even doctors) because of not wanting to be sued for something misinterpretted. And it could be that the experimental data just isn't available enough for anyone wanting to stake what is left of their reputation on this thing.
This group in here is probably the biggest rolling authority on this stuff I've come across. With the info we have shared as a group and some common sense, we all ought to be able to come through this smiling and smoke free.
As long a we don't start growing an extra head 6 months from now....

And Trish, really, thanks for obsessing on this.
Many years ago when I went through a 3+ year divorce, it began with me being depressed about my marriage and I was put on elavil. Doctors wouldn't take the responsibility to take me OFF of it, as my divorce started, continued and got extensive. (I wasn't depressed anymore, a bad marriage was the problem!) ANYway, I got fed up and 'cold turkey'ed the elavil which was a horrific ride for a couple of weeks, then got severely scolded by my doctor because statistically, my heart could have stopped or a number of other unpleasant things.
I should have obsessed more like you at the time.
Thanks!

DeadFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish M&M View Post
I agree with you, Hopsing. Since we graduated in the beginning to a full dose, it just makes sense that we'd do the same thing in reverse when the end of the 12 weeks approaches. In considering this, I think I might do this when I have 4 pills left: 3 days of 1/2 pill x2 daily, 3 days of 1/2 pill x1 daily and 1/2 x1 every other day until they're gone. For some reason, it seems important to me to get some every other day dosage in there.

You all have NO idea how I wish I could stop obsessing over this. Oh well...I guess there could be worse things.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
(female)

Skimmer HB User

I quit taking Chantix after my 2nd week quit and I had no ill effects whatsoever. One day I forgot to take my morning pill, so I took it at 2:00 in the afternoon. Then the next day, I didn't take any, and never took anymore after that. No problems at all. Maybe I wasn't on it long enough for it to be "built-up" in my system, so no problems quitting so soon? Who knows. But I DO KNOW that I didn't contact my doctor because I got the script from a walk-in clinic and they wouldn't know what to tell me anyways!

I secretly thought maybe they were trying to keep people on the drug for their profit margins?? Good thing I own Pfizer stock!!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Trish and acalusa,
THANK YOU!! for your tenaciousness!
Everyone here that is taking or that has taken the Chantix appreciate ya'll's efforts to try to get information from the makers of this drug.
Thanks!

Memaw

Closed Thread