It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

river525 HB User
Question Any hints? smoke smell - YUCK YUCK

OK I'm down to one cigerrette and that is just because I want to see if it will taste good (LOL) and it doesn't. CHANTIX IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! This is my fourth day on it and I just hope this lasts b/c so far so good!!

Anyway, coming home and smelling this stale smoke makes me gag. Do any of you have any helpful hints on how to eliminate this smell for good?

Do I need to paint the walls? Or will it eventually go away with time?

It just makes me sick to now smell my own house and I thought I did such a good job covering up the smell. YUCK YUCK

Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
(male)

Kevin__ HB User
Re: Any hints? smoke smell - YUCK YUCK

Hi River,

That is fantastic news!!! You're doing it!!!

If your walls or ceilings have an eggshell or semi-gloss paint finish, then they can be washed with TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphates) mixed in water. You can find TSP at just about any hardware store. Some paint stores carry it too. It is a soap that does not leave streak marks on the walls the way regular soap does.

If your walls or ceilings have a flat paint finish, then you will likely have to paint. Washing flat finish walls does not work very well.

Hire some one to steam clean the carpets and upholstery. I don't think you will remove all of the smoke smell, but it will be greatly reduced.

Dry clean the curtains. If you have blinds, then check the yellow pages in your phone book. They have places that will come out, pick up your blinds, clean them, then rehang them for you.

Sorry... Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. Going through the same darn thing myself.

Kevin__

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Oh, by the way...

Once you are finished doing all the work mentioned above, I guarantee you will NEVER want to smoke again. If you do, then you will have to do this same work ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
(female)

Skinamarinka HB User

Hi,
You can also try essential oils and a real diffuser. My husband's father came to our house to house sit for a week and smoked inside the whole time. It smelled horrible. I got out my diffuser and some lavender, geranium, grapefruit and orange oils. It pumped several hours in all of the rooms and totally cleaned the smell. Electric diffusers and real essential oils will really take smells away, NOT just mask them for awhile like air fresheners, and they can be therapeutic as well.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Skinamarinka; 03-23-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi Skinamarinka, and welcome to this board!!

That sounds like some pretty good advise. Where did you find this "electric diffuser" and "lavender, geranium, grapefruit and orange oils".

Never thought of this kind of approach...

Is the "lavender, geranium, grapefruit and orange" some kind of special mixture that is good for getting rid of smoke smell? Or is it just some combination that you liked?

Kevin__

Old 03-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
(female)

larissa77 HB User

hello. Just joined but thought I'd throw out some ideas and tricks I've used from time to time...... Fabreeze...

you can put a little water in a small pan and add some vanilla, cinnamon, cloves.. allspice or cut up lemon and oranges and simmer like a potpourri. It is the convenient way if you don't have a diffuser. Or buy some incense cones and let them burn.. Any sprays just seem to hang in the air with the stale smoke smell. It's like putting on perfume to camoflage the odors and the only one you are fooling is yourself.. Or try leaving a small bowl with vinegar and baking soda.. it works in the fridge.. not sure it would diffuse in the house but worth a try.

I haven't heard of this new medication before. I am not sure it is the answer for me . I do okay on patches etc but when I hit a tailspin.. that is when I relapse. Not sure medication would change that but am hoping maybe between the gym and this space to seek support maybe I will do better.

Good luck with the odors..

Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi larissa77,
Welcome to the message board!! Glad to have you join us here.
I doesn't matter how you quit smoking as long as you quit. The patches have worked for a lot of people. The main thing to remember is that you have got to want to quit smoking more than you want that cigarette!
Have you set a quit date yet?
There is an excellent web site that you might benifit from, smokefree.gov.
There are the forever free booklets that you can ******** to your computer and read when you get the time. They have got some really good advice on quitting smoking and staying quit in them.

Please keep us posted as to your progress. We can be very strong supporters here!!

Memaw

Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
(female)

Marguerite J HB User

Hi River,

You will more than likely will have to paint your walls and ceiling because nicotine leaves a stain that just washing can't get rid of. Because of the nictine stains left behind after you wash the walls and ceiling you will have to use a primer (so the stains don't bleed through the paint. Then after the primer is dry paint what ever color you want.
Marguerite

Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

river525 HB User
Smile Re: Any hints? smoke smell - YUCK YUCK

Thanks all for your hints and support. I'm painting some rooms right now just to keep myself busy so I will probably just continue doing that throughout the rest of the house. FUN??

So far so good -- I had ZERO cigarrettes yesterday and as of today ZERO again. I really think the Chantix prescription is the answer or atleast for right now for me. I just pray pray pray that I don't start back up in the future.

Have a great weekend everyone - It is beautiful here in Nashville - 80 and sunny!!!

take care

Old 03-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
(female)

Karen1711 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinamarinka View Post
Hi,
You can also try essential oils and a real diffuser. My husband's father came to our house to house sit for a week and smoked inside the whole time. It smelled horrible. I got out my diffuser and some lavender, geranium, grapefruit and orange oils. It pumped several hours in all of the rooms and totally cleaned the smell. Electric diffusers and real essential oils will really take smells away, NOT just mask them for awhile like air fresheners, and they can be therapeutic as well.
Best wishes.

Skinamarinka, I would also like to know where to get this air diffuser. Sounds like it's more than just a mask for odors. Could you put peppermint oil in it? I hate those heavy perfume air fresheners.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

river,
You are doing very good!!! Congratulations!
I just heard on tv that tomorrow in some places around the Memphis area it could hit 90 degrees!! Whoa! This is March, isn't it?

Keep up the good work and good luck with the painting!!
That'll keep the hands busy!!

Memaw

Old 03-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi river525, congrats on quitting smoking! I quit smoking in May and I swear I can still smell smoke once in awhile when I come into my house. Let me know if the painting works!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
(female)

river525 HB User

I think Spring has just been skipped over atleast here in Nashville - booooo. Spring is my favorite season but hey, I'll take 80's and sunshine everyday especially in my first week of NO SMOKING. It keeps me busy outdoors in the gardens and of course painting in the house.

As far as painting I will let you know on the smell. I did see at Porter Paints they now sell an additive you can have put in the paint as they are mixing it. They come in different scents. Of course the one I wanted was sold out (clean air, or something like that). I'm not into peach smells, etc. Anyway, we shall see.

have a great Sunday!!

Closed Thread