It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Chantix cost and insurance questions

I am on medicaid, I called the pharmacy to ask if my insurace would pay for chantix, he said I'd have to call. Okay after an hour on hold I hung up. Does anyone know if insurances are paying or how much this cost?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

the black widow HB User
Re: Chantix cost and insurance questions

I have Aetna insurance and they covered it. My cost for a month supply is $28 and without insurance it was $114 for a month supply (wal-mart pharmacy). Hopefully they will cover it for you.

J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Most insurance is not paying for this wonder drug, which is totally crazy!! You would think they would be giving it away for free to get people to quit smoking!! For Pete's sake!

Not sure about Medicaid covering it - I would keep trying and maybe ask your doc for a free sample or something?

The cost for the starter pack was around $114, and I think that's for the first 12 weeks. I never finished mine, I quit smoking and quit taking the Chantix after 2 weeks. Nothing wrong with it, just decided to stop taking it and am doing okay in my quit.

Good luck to you - if you find insurance won't cover it, maybe try another method - cold turkey? It will take a lot of willpower, but it CAN be done. Please at least try??

Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer View Post
Most insurance is not paying for this wonder drug, which is totally crazy!! You would think they would be giving it away for free to get people to quit smoking!! For Pete's sake!
Skimmer, I can understand the spirit of what you say, but I get kinda 'political' about the hypocritical way smoking has been dealt with in the U.S..
'There is plenty of good money to be made, by supplying the army with the tools of the trade' is a lyric that goes back a long way and is relevant. All those taxes that have gone up and up since I first paid 35 cents for a pack...
Where would that money come from if we ALL quit? The whole chain of industry along the production of something we (at least) know was bad for us....all the way back to the farmers who USED to get government subsidies for growing it!
If a significant amount of people should have shortened lifespans from tobacco related illnesses, isn't 'social security' a bit better funded after we worked most of our lives paying into it?
If 'they' gave this drug away for free, who would bother to pay for or develop something better?
I thought a long time ago while I was a firmly entrenched smoker that if the government was serious about people's health and everyone quitting, they should just disappear off the shelves, but there is no money in that.
A few months of REALLY CRABBY people, a few riots, and it would have all been over.
I do hope you understand I say some of this with my tongue in my cheek.
Truthfully though, I have found much value in what I have paid for out of my 'quit' financially, mentally, physically, spiritually.
If someone would have given me all this for free, it would be so much easier to get addicted now and then for the 'fun' knowing 'someone' would fix it all again, for free!
-RANT OFF-
I guess that will teach me to type while listening to some great Hendrix cranked up to '11'!

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Last edited by DeadFish; 03-23-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Yvette 777 I apologize I got sidetracked and did not mean to tread on your question. Black Widow's notation that hers was at least paying SOME of it is the first I've heard of anyone's, personally.
I sat and did the math for me though, and in my 54 days of being quit I've 'saved' at least $459 from not buying smokes, and spent $360 on 3 months worth of Chantix. It is all saving from here, but nobody plans on buying a month's worth of smokes up-front at a time and the $$ isn't always there.

I think I paid about as much using Zyban/Wellbutrin a couple of times, but they weren't the success story I needed that Chantix has been, for me.
Wishing you luck on this one!
DeadFish

Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

the black widow HB User

I agree totally with Deadfish! Just speaking for myself here, but I spent an average of $150 a month for cigarettes. The chantix even without insurance is $114 if you just had a prescription. The patch runs about $39-$49 for a two week supply. Either way I think the main point here is that for most of us the medicine or the patches are cheaper than cigarettes anyhow and in addition you are extending your life by quitting smoking. Hope that made some sense.

J

Old 03-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette777 View Post
I am on medicaid, I called the pharmacy to ask if my insurace would pay for chantix, he said I'd have to call. Okay after an hour on hold I hung up. Does anyone know if insurances are paying or how much this cost?
yvette,
Call your pharmacy again. Tell them you'll call back later to see what they found out.
If your insurance does not cover it, please consider trying it anyway. How much are you spending on cigarettes now for a month?
Your doctor may be able to give you your first month free. Mine did. But I had to pay for the next two months. My insurance did not cover it. But I do think that more and more insurance companies are covering it. I think someone on this board had their insurance turn them down but they appealed it and got it covered.
The cost depends on where you get it. Someone said that Costco was the cheapest. I used a national chain drug store back in September and I paid $125 for one month. But I was spending about $100 a month for cigarettes. So basically for $50 I quit smoking!! Well worth the price!!

Memaw

Seven months, one week, two days, 4 hours, 49 minutes and 6 seconds. 4424 cigarettes not smoked, saving $696.78. Life saved: 2 weeks, 1 day, 8 hours, 40 minutes. Quit date: August 14, 2006.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

I have a Medicare Prescription D drug plan and to my surprise my prescription for Chantix was covered. I would suggest you fill the prescription, when you go to pick it up you will either have it covered or they will tell you how much it will cost you. If not covered and you cannot afford to get it at that time, they will put the medication back and you will find out how much you will need to get the prescription filled. Good luck to you.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Hopsing, I am so proud of you! I didn't get to read a lot of posts this week, but you have really been amazing going through what you have and not smoking. When is it going to get hard? You already did that part, the rest is easy!! Congratulations on almost two weeks!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing942 View Post
In two hours it will be 12 days and I wonder when it is going to get difficult!!
Congratulations hopsing942!!! Awesome job!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Hi Hopsing
If it isn't difficult at 12 days I don't think it's going to get difficult. In facty it just goes on getting easier and easier.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

DeadFish, you make some pretty good points here. Using Chantix, I quit eight weeks ago on the same day you did. The Quit Counter on my PC indicates I saved $574.19 on cigarettes not smoked. Sure does add up in a hurry. Came as a surprise to me!

Yvette, I do not know if Medicaid covers this expense. Though I would definitely encourage you to pursue this further. I wonder if your pharmacist (or any other for that matter) would know if Medicaid covers this expense. Once way or the other, the money you save from not smoking will eventually cover your original cost for this drug.

Best of luck to you!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Yvette,

I ******d "Medicaid Chantix" and found out the following:

According to the DOC Medicaid Update for January 2007, Vol. 22, No. 1

"Smoking cessation therapy consists of prescription and non-prescription agents. Covered agents include nasal sprays, inhalers, Zyban (bupropion), Chantix (varenicline), over-the-counter nicotine patches and gum."

POLICY

No Smoking

* Stop smoking products to help you quit smoking can be obtained with a prescription. Medicaid will pay for inhalers, nasal sprays, Zyban (bupropion), Chantix (varenicline), over-the-counter nicotine patches and gum.

Hope this helps...

Kevin__

Closed Thread