It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

river525 HB User
Question Feel icky on Chantix?

Sorry if this has been asked before I've gone back a few pages and haven't found a post about it so I'm going to ask.....I'm taking Chantix and am on my first week and doing GREAT - didn't smoke at all today!! YAHOOOOOOOO

BUT........

My stomach is queasy on and off all day long. Not to mention and I hate to mention but an occassional race to the bathroom a time or two. I know this is a side effect and I'm willing to live with it "for a while" BUT what is everyone taking to help this? Does this eventually go away?

Headaches are coming on strong too but I think that is because with my smoking I was drinking 6-8 diet cokes and now since I'm not smoking I'm not drinking the diet cokes anymore. Another plus but ohhhh my family is already tired of mom being nauseated, tired, and cranky

BUT...........

I refuse to give up Chantix -- so please anyone what did you do or take through this first week of h***?

ps == this board and all of you are great and so supportive -- It is so nice to be able to have others who UNDERSTAND what you are going through and not judge!! Hugs to all

Old 03-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Feel icky on Chantix?

Hi river,
The queasy stomach may be from not eating enough when you take the pill or not drinking a FULL glass of water. Try to eat something and see if that helps.
I didn't have to run to the bathroom. I had constipation the whole 12 weeks!! Had to take milk of mag. a few time. Sorry I can't help you with that one. Maybe some Pepto will help if you can take that stuff!! My hubby swears by it. I throw it up each time I've tried to take it.
Explain to kids that you are doing this for them as well as yourself and you need their help. Tell them the crankiness won't last forever and to give you LOTS of room!! It will get better!! Promise!!

Memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Oh forgot about the headaches....I had that the first week. Took tylenol or advil. It helped some.

Memaw

Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi River: Congratulations on your decision to become a quitter!! Good work.

From what I've read here since joining this Board (which is a wonderful place to be), everyone has some kind of discomfort, etc., at the very beginning. My biggest problem was being so horribly tired and zombie like. I've always taken the Chantix on a full stomach w/ 16 oz. of water....have never had an upset stomach. Had some constipation in the very beginning, but added raw brocilli and cauliflower to my diet on a daily basis. Had some headaches, but aspirin (or something like that) helped. For me, the side effects I experienced were over in 11 days from the time I started the rx. Believe me: being uncomfortable, etc. for those 11 days was well worth getting on the road to becoming a non-smoker. I'm one month, 12 days and I feel wonderful!

For sure, you won't find anyone here who sits in judgment of you. Everyone is going thru - or has been thru - the same or similar thing and each of us can relate to the others. Please keep us posted on your progress and, again:
CONGRATS!!

Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

PS: I forgot to mention exercise. Once I got thru those 11 days of dragging around, I went back to the gym w/ full force. I'm going to the gym 5-6 times a week and walk the dogs a mile each day. I'm convinced the exercise has played a positive part in my quit.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

river525 HB User

thanks everyone - I'm hoping that after 2 weeks on Chantix the side effects will be gone. I know it is worth going through this to get healthy so I'm definitely sticking with it. I exercise 4-5 times a week and yes I agree that does help but like today I feel like a zombie with a horrible headache and the thought of exercising makes me ill. I hate this feeling, especially since it is so pretty outside - I wish it was raining and gloomy - I almost wish I could just sleep through this part and not think about all the things I need to be doing BUT I'm banking on after these 2 weeks I'll be back to "normal". I just hope by this coming Friday I will atleast feel a bit better b/c my 16 year old is having ACL/knee surgery and I will need my strength (mental and physical) for him.

BUT.......hey 2 and 1/2 days of no smoking!! I can already tell a difference of waking up and not coughing so there are definitely more positives to the negatives. ***patting myself on the back***

Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

River: You've got a really good attitude. That's a real plus.

Here are a few pats on the back to you from me:

and some bounces

and some smiles

Old 03-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Hi, River! Boy are you ever doing good. I am proud of you.

The side effects you feel now should subside soon. I did not have the running problem but I did have what I would call loose stools. It only took a day or two and I was back to normal. If you cannot eat something at least make sure you take a full glass of milk with your medication. That is extremely important and should help to keep your nausea at bay.

In additon, drink lots of water. You will probably start to really enjoy water, I find I crave water now instead of any other kind of drink. I think the earlier advice about tylenol for the headaches is probably the best suggestion. I have not had headaches so I wish you the best in that area.

I am tired and feel like I have some sort of "fog" about me. I was working out 5-6 times a week prior to starting Chantix. I have not been to the gym since I started the medication. Just cannot come up with the energy. I am hoping as time passes I will get my energy back.

I think all the side effects have been worth it. Nothing life threatening from the side effects but we all know that smoking is life threatening. So, hang in there. If you are ever in real concern about any side effects, call your doctor and run it by him.

Keep up the good work. You have been an encouragement to me as are all the others who write in this message board.

Sapphire

Old 03-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish M&M View Post
PS: I forgot to mention exercise. Once I got thru those 11 days of dragging around, I went back to the gym w/ full force. I'm going to the gym 5-6 times a week and walk the dogs a mile each day. I'm convinced the exercise has played a positive part in my quit.
Boy am I ever glad to hear you share this news with us. I know I should be exercising like I did before, just right now I do not have it in me. I am glad to know that soon I should be back to having some energy to do so.

Sapphire

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
(female)

river525 HB User

WAY TO GO!! I hear you on the urges. I broke down and smoked. I had had such horrible headaches all night and today - I thought smoking one would make it go away......Didn't taste that great and the whole time I smoked it I was saying stupid stupid me. Anyway, tomorrow is another day and I usually do much better through the week than the weekends so hopefully I can go through this entire week with no urges.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
(female)

LucyRoberts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara29 View Post
..but it's 80 degrees and the Ozark Mountains are blooming with dogwoods. .

Hi Sara! Just got back from the Ozarks today and you are sooo right! The dogwoods are spectacular right now! Also enjoyed the warm dry weather for a change.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

SARA, You are making great progress. Keep up the good work. You are giving me hope and inspiration.

I think the headaches could be from lack of caffeine. Someone had written that they thought Chantix blocked the caffeine as well as nicotine. I think they are right. I have not enjoyed my coffee since I started Chantix and it is not giving me any pep. That could be why I am so tired. I guess we will get use to it.

The only thing I really enjoy is ice cold water. I am wondering if ice tea might taste good. Nothing to me tastes good anymore. Not even sweets. The good news from all that is that I doubt gaining weight will be a problem after I QUIT.

Tomorrow is my day, and I am doing my best to mentally prepare for it.

Keep us informed on how you are doing. We are all rooting for you.

Sapphire

Old 03-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by river525 View Post
WAY TO GO!! I hear you on the urges. I broke down and smoked. I had had such horrible headaches all night and today - I thought smoking one would make it go away......Didn't taste that great and the whole time I smoked it I was saying stupid stupid me. Anyway, tomorrow is another day and I usually do much better through the week than the weekends so hopefully I can go through this entire week with no urges.

Hi, River!

I am going to be right with you and fight the urges! If it was easy we would have all done this long ago. We can do it though. We can and we will. I am so glad to finally discover Chantix. I am so glad they finally came up with something that actually helps us. I picked Monday as my QUIT date because I was afraid a weekend would be a bit much for me to handle. You are doing good. Just keep on keeping on.

Sapphire

Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
(female)

river525 HB User

Thanks Sara -- good luck tomorrow - I'm hoping to get back on track tomorrow -- so we can be grumpy - ha ha - together.

I know one thing I've messed up on and didn't realize it till tonight - I haven't had my hormone patch on and am out of my prescription!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I'm going CRAZY!! First thing in the morning I'm calling my GYN and racing to Walgreens and slapping one on, lol.

I almost wish there was a chat room all of us could instant message back and forth - of course I'd probably drive everyone crazy chatting all the time.

ok time to go to sleep (I hope) nighty night

Old 03-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Sara,
Glad your day was better. You know doctors are always telling us to exercise for this or that. I sometimes think that's their answer to everything. But ya know....they may be on to something!! I've also found out that it helps. I walk two mile in about thirty minutes twice a day. Gives me more energy.
Keep up your good work!! And get out and enjoy this georgous weather we've been having.

Memaw

Closed Thread