It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

heather071376 HB User
Loss of sexual desire-generic wellbutrin

My husband is taking the generic brand of wellbutrin and has been since the first of Feb. After the first week his sexual desire started to deminish to the point we are now which is absolutely NO desire. He doesnt have a problem performing but there is no desire for sex at all. How long after he stops the medication does he return to a normal sex drive?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
(male)

DeadFish HB User
Re: Loss of sexual desire-generic wellbutrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather071376 View Post
My husband is taking the generic brand of wellbutrin and has been since the first of Feb. After the first week his sexual desire started to deminish to the point we are now which is absolutely NO desire. He doesnt have a problem performing but there is no desire for sex at all. How long after he stops the medication does he return to a normal sex drive?
Hi Heather,
I went through 3 tries with Wellbutrin, and would report the same thing basically happened to me. You have to remember, this drug started as an 'anti-depressant', and the very nature of that kind of drug is to get your mind off of the things that seem important to you, generally in the case of depression, it is 'worries' of some sort. Kind of a 'stoner' "whatever" attitude is where I ended up. Ultimately, I found long-term exposure to Wellbutrin did me no good as I said 'whatever..' to quitting.
Anti-depressants in general have such a subtle effect on the consciousness that from the 'inside' you don't notice some changes, just lack of importances.
My wife kept me centered, ultimately, by telling me of the changes in who I was being, even though I thought the experience pretty much transparent, in that I could notice few changes.
Don't take it too personally. I'm sure he's had his head full being someone subtly different.
Like other similar drugs, wellbutrin has a half-life that it stays in the body for a while. Once he is off of it, (and DO check with the doctor before abrubtly ceasing it!) he ought to start noticing a few more desires he'd forgotten about.
Wishing you both the best!
DeadFish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Heather,
Have him contact his doctor about this particular side effect.
Was he taking this drug to quit smoking or for some other reason? If he has recently quit smoking, he may also be having nicotine withdrawal. That usually last from one to three weeks, but can last longer.

Memaw

Old 03-27-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
(female)

heather071376 HB User

Yes he was taking this drug to help him stop smoking which he has done and has been smoke free for a month.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
(female)

heather071376 HB User

I am also concerned about another problem going on, when he started taking the wellbutrin and stopped smoking there were several times he would wake up in the middle of the night startled and almost in a panic attack thinking he cuoldnt breathe, at first I thought maybe he had sleep apnea and that may still be the case. But since the first attack happened he has jad several more since then. He did decide to stop taking the medicine and mainly the reason why was because he had an attack the other night that scared the life out of me and him(not literally though haha). I have never been around anyone that has had a panic attack but it was enough to scare me and to scare him badly. He did stop taking the medicine the day the last attack happened and since then has had one more attack that basically lasted most of the night, I just found it very odd that an anti depressant would cause such side effects but maybe I dont know enough about the drug, I did look on ***** and increased anxiety was a side effect but just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this??

Heather

Old 03-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Heather,
Have your husband ask the pharmacist about this particular side effect. They should be able to tell him about it. Or you call and ask them. They may be able to provide you with some literature about it.

Memaw

Old 03-29-2007, 05:11 AM   #7
(female)

heather071376 HB User

He is caling the doctor today to see if they can give him some advice, I think the biggest problem is that he was taking 300 mg a day of this drug and he just stopped instead of weining ( not sure if I spelled that correctly) himself off, last night was a very bad night he cried most of the night and really didnt know why he was crying.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Heather,
I think I agree with you. Suddenly stopping an antidepressant will throw you for a loop! Hopefully his doctor advised him how to stop this drug. I took it years ago, but I have forgotten how I stopped it.
Memaw

Closed Thread