It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Chantix script in hand -- questions

Howdy, Folks

My hubby, my mother and I now all have our Chantix prescriptions. Whoo-hoo!!! I've smoked 20 years 1-2 packs a day; DH has smoked 15 years, 1/2 - 1 pack a day; and my dear mother has smoked 35 years, 1-3 packs a day. It's time to quit, and we're so excited to have the help of Chantix. My mother is finally about to become a grandmother (not by me -- my brother), so I think she's really motivated to do it.

I do have a question, tho.

The three of us have a vacation coming up on 4/28. We're heading to Disney and Universal. We're commando in the parks, too. We get there when the parks open and usually stay until closing, every day. I'm talking a lot of walking and physical activity. We'll be doing this for seven days.

To muddy the waters even further, we're going and staying with another group of heavy, heavy smokers who will be smoking heavily in our room and taking every opportunity to hit the smoking sections of the parks.

When should we start the med? Should we wait until we come back from vacation? I'm a bit concerned about the physical side effects (nausea, lethargy, constipation/runs) that I've read others have. Fine dining is also a big part of our vacations; I see a lot of folks don't enjoy food after starting this med. I'm also concerned that one month from now might not be the best time to be around such heavy smokers day in and day out.

On the other hand, I feel I could always come up with an excuse not to quit. But we're spending a fortune on this trip, and I'd hate for any of us to be sick and lethargic on vacation -- or freaking out because we just quit and we're having smoke blown in our faces constantly!

What are your thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
(female)

Skimmer HB User
Re: Chantix script in hand -- questions

Hey StenoLday! Congrats on your (and your whole family's) decision to become non-smokers!! It's a great thing you're doing, and you will not regret it one minute.

Well, since you have already planned this vacation, and spent a fortune on it I would definitely wait until you get back to start the meds. There's no point in stressing out over your quit date while you're trying to have a good time on vacation. Yes, you could always find an excuse to delay quitting, but you also have to time your quit when you think you can handle all the effects, moods, eating, atmosphere. Being on a vacation in a room with heavy smokers is not that time to quit. So, go have a good time, but begin thinking about every single cigarette you smoke, and why you are smoking it. Do you really need it or is just a habit? Try delaying your smoking, or change up your habits when and where you smoke. That will help when you start your meds. Maybe your friends that you're going with can all try to quit too!! It really does help to have someone else quitting with you, so you all can compare notes and encourage each other.

Keep coming to the boards and posting - there's a bunch of people here that will cheer you on!!

And have fun at Disney - you'll be in my neck of the woods. Come over to Cocoa Beach if you get a chance......

Good luck in your quit....

My quit has been 4 weeks, 5 days, 6 hours, 11 minutes, 48 seconds

Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi StenoLady: Congratulations to you and your family on your decision to become quitters. I totally agree w/ Skimmer....I'd wait to start on the Chantix after your vacation is behind you.

Have a wonderful time and keep coming back to this Board to let us know about your quiting progress and for information and support. This is a great group.

As an aside, yesterday (3/27/07) was 6 weeks of being a non-smoker -- using the Chantix. It's been a magic pill for me!!

Best Wishes!

PS: What you described doesn't sound like an excuse to me....sounds like you're exercising good judgment.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Congrats on your decision to quit. It sounds like a real family affair. Congrats to all.

I agree with the advice given so far. If me, I would wait til vacation time was behind me. You are right in that we always can find a reason not to quit, but this time you are going to quit and timing is everything. The mild side effects we have as a whole are nothing compared to the damage of smoking. They will subside in time and even help with the quit.

Gotta go now, but plan on quitting. Think about quitting. When the time comes you will be mentally prepared to quit. Good luck to all of you.

Sapphire

Old 03-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi StenoLady and welcome to this board. Sounds like you all are getting pretty serious about this quit. Congratulations!!! I agree with all the others. You might as well wait until you get back to begin your quit in earnest. I was faced with the same situation right before the Christmas / New Year holidays and decided to wait until it was all over too. I decided to start taking Chantix on January 15th of this year and quit two weeks later. I have been smoke free for over eight weeks now. So as Sapphire suggested above, start making plans for your quit now. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Have a good time!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Thank you all for your responses and warm welcomes

I've chatted with my mom this morning, and as soon as I told her that food might not be "appetizing" the first few weeks on the med, she wanted to wait until after vacation, lol. We've got some foodie places lined up that I know she wants to enjoy.

Skimmer, we're practically neighbors! I'm in Jax

Hubby doesn't seem to care either way. He feels he could quit on his own without the med, but both of our doctors encouraged us to use the med together since it can affect libido. Might as well be on the same page in that regard methinks If it's a side effect neither of us end up with, he might be done with the med sooner than I.

I'm already trying to change up my routine a bit. I also want to get the ashtrays out of the house and begin smoking outside soon. My most successful attempts in the past have been when we had the no-smoking-in-the-house rule well before our quit date. Plus, the house just smelled great and was so easy to keep clean

I'll definitely keep y'all posted. Everyone here seems so nice and supportive!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi StenoLady1,
I just wanted to welcome you to this board!! Even though you are putting off your quit, please keep coming and reading and posting. Let us know if we can assist you in any way. You've received some excellent advice from everyone. I like that you will not be smoking in the house. Changing up your routine will definately make your quit easier.

Have fun!!

Memaw

Old 03-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Congrats StenoLady1 and Family!! This is the best health decision you guys will ever make!!! Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing!!

Closed Thread