It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User
Anyone know if Chantix works for smokeless tobacco?

Hi everyone,

New to this forum but not Healthboards, usually on the thyroid. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is supposed to help if someone is trying to kick copenhagen? My hubby and son both dip and both are very much wanting to quit and we have wondered if Chantix might be an option for them.

I'm impressed with the good luck so many of you seem to be having with it and I want to offer my congratulations to everyone. I know if my guys could quit they would jump for joy. (That's me jumping with them!)

Thanks
Deb

Last edited by Deb123; 03-28-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
(male)

Kevin__ HB User
Re: Anyone know if Chantix works for smokeless tobacco?

Hi Deb,

Some one had a thread on this board pertaining to this subject a little over a month ago. As I recall, his physician did prescribe Chantix to him so that he could quit chewing tobacco - a habit he had for many years. I seem to recall it helped a lot. HOWEVER, I have to warn you it was not an easy quit. I used to think that people who chewed tobacco were lucky and could quit any time. That is definitely NOT the case, I learned. Nicotine is nicotine, whether it is smoked or chewed. I recall this person would become very hyperactive after his quit on Chantix. The effect of caffeine is twice as strong after you quit smoking, so I thought this might have been the problem. Unfortunately I did not hear back from him, so...

One way or the other, I would definitely contact your doctor and ask.

Hope this helps...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Deb,

One other thing...

If you click on Advanced Search in the tool bar above, you will pull up a search engine. If you then type "chew tobacco" in the word search box, you will get a whole bunch of listings reflecting posts by people who used both Chantix and Zyban to quit chewing tobacco.

Hope this helps...

Kevin__

Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hey Deb123,
Welcome to this board.
Nicotine is nicotine no matter how it is delivered to the body.

Chantix acts on the areas of the brain affected by nicotine and helps those who smoke to quit smoking in two ways: by providing some nicotine effects to ease the withdrawal symptoms and by blocking the effects of nicotine from cigarettes if they start smoking again.

So I don't see why it wouldn't work on smokeless tobacco. Contact your doctor about this.

Memaw

Old 03-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Thanks so much Kevin and Memaw for your replies. I've watched my DH try to quit a few times over the years and he would get so sick looking it was almost scary. It seems to me that Chantix may be their best shot at quitting so definitely will get them both to get into the doc's and get a script. I told them they need to try it at the same time so they can sort of do the buddy thing.

Thanks Kevin, will definitely do the search.

Deb

Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User

To answer your question in a word. Yes. I am happy to tell you that Chantix does work for chew as well as smoking. I used to chew during the day and smoke when I drank beer. To help with the habit side of things, I buy non tobaco mint. It was a great crutch when I first quit and it makes your breath smell great. I hope your men try it because I now have a new lease on life. I feel like I've been released from jail. 30 days free for me.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Thanks TomJC, Wow! Congrats on the 30 day mark, I bet it feels great. My son is 24 and while he was young I used to (not in a nagging way) but occassionally would talk to him about not ever dipping. I knew since his Dad does and really the area we live in "Okieland" it's just so commonly done that the temptation would be strong for him. I told him "Son you'll try it and feel really cool and grown up for a very short time and then spend the rest of your life trying to quit it." I've watched his Dad try unsuccessfully many times, patches, gum, cold turkey and it never worked. I think because out of respect for me and he didn't want to disappoint me he had been dipping for a couple of years and doing very very well at hiding it from me. One Christmas Eve night somehow the topic came up and his fiance knew he dipped of course but did not know I didn't and she said something about it. The look on my son's face was priceless, he looked like the little six year old kid that just got caught with his hand in the candy jar. LOL And, to be honest I had to fight back tears as I knew he would be where he is today wanting so desperately to quit it.

Sorry for rambling, thanks for the post, I'll pass it along to my guys for encouragement.

Deb

Last edited by Deb123; 03-29-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Deb,

Feel free to come back here and "ramble" any time you want to, and please keep in touch!!! I thought you're story was pretty funny.

Best of luck to you!!!

Kevin__

Old 03-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hey Tom,

Thanks a million for your contribution here. I know we had some people who quit chewing using Chantix, but could not remember who was who. I know that sounds awful, but there really are an awful lot of quitters on this site.

Thanks again,

Kevin__

Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
(male)

stan1976 HB User

about to kick a copenhagen habit (chewing tobacco) after 15 years. My Dr. says chantix is a great option for me. A bit concerned about the RX, but i have a friend that used it to quit a year ago, and said it was great. Any info you have on the effectiveness of it, or a better option would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
(male)

Beatin the Bear HB User

Hopefully, I'll be able to say, "Yes, Chantix works for smokeless tobacco." in a couple months. Right now, I'm not so sure.

I quit using Kodiak 2 weeks ago after a 25 year addiction. Last week I went to see my doctor, kind of as a routine check-up, but also to see if he had any suggestions to help with quitting.

I've tried the gum and the patch. Anyone that has chewed knows that's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb. It's there, but it sure isn't going to do much. One pinch is about the equivalent of 4 cigarettes. The problem with quitting Kodiak is that everything seems to be geared toward smoking. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong nasty habit.

I had the standard symptoms - nausea, constipation, jitters, sweating, abnormally short temper and cold symptoms. The biggest problem was insomnia though, which made me a walking zombie the rest of the day. He gave me a prescription for Xanax that day, and told me that I should try Chantix if I was still having trouble with the cravings.

I'm on my fifth day with the Chantix. The directions say that your supposed to start taking it the week before you quit. I tried to tell my wife that I needed to keep chewing for another week to stay with the instructions, but unfortunately she wasn't buying into it.

Right now I really can't say that the Chantix is doing all that much. The cravings are still coming with great frequency, but they're not as strong. I have all of the same triggers. My temper seems to be back under control (at least as far as I'm able to control it.) I have noticed slight nausea after taking the Chantix, but nothing like the first couple days after quitting Kodiak. I've noticed increased heartburn, but I don't know if that's related to the Chantix or not.

I'm not getting excited yet though. I've quit longer than this, but I've never felt as confident that I was ready to walk away from my habit.

It's the beginning of a long, rough journey for me, and I'm definitely open to suggestions.

One more thing - I've become a sunflower seed junkie. Hard candy helps, but I have to avoid mint (it reminds me of what I'd rather be chewing). The beef jerky snuff isn't bad, but the mint snuff tears up my gums worse than any tobacco ever did.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
(male)

stan1976 HB User

Beatin The Bear,

I'm impressed with your strength so far. From what a close friend of mine experienced, who only dipped, it really kicked in after a few weeks. I'm still a few weeks away from trying to make the commitment, but anxiously await your feedback.

Good luck.

S76

Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
(male)

Beatin the Bear HB User

Well, I'm starting my fourth week without Kodiak, and my third week of Chantix. I figure by this time next month, I'll be divorced, ,my kids will be in therapy, but my lawn will look incredible.

I've got to say that I'm not overwhelmed with the Chantix results. I've decided that I'm definitely not shelling out $140 for next months supply.

The cravings aren't as strong, but that's to be expected after four weeks. I'm still fighting certain triggers. I played cards without chewing for the first time I can remember. I missed my brother's first big stage performance because I just didn't feel ready to go into a bar. Luckily, he understands and is very supportive. My whole family has been.

One thing I am pretty convinced of though, you're not going to find anything that's going to make quitting easy. The habits I've formed took years to develop, so I'm sure they're not going to change in a month. You just have to know when the right time is for you. It's not going to matter how many times people tell you that you need to quit. You'll always find ways to afford it, and even justify the expense. Until you decide that you're ready, there will always be an excuse to chew.

For me, the turning point came when two people that I knew, one that I knew pretty closely, developed colon cancer. It's always sat in the back of my mind, because I rarely spit. But I think that really made me sit back and think about how important it is for me to see my kids' futures.

To Stan and all of you quitters, I wish you the best of luck no matter how you quit or what you motivation. I would also like to thank Deb. Her story about how her son had dipped for years before she knew about it reminded me of when my Mom found out, and the disappointment I could see in her face. That story is what got me to start writing in different posts. And the way I see it, whenever I'm thinking about what to write next, even if I am writing about chewing or not chewing, I'm not centering on cravings or throwing a wad of tobacco in my mouth.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
(male)

stan1976 HB User

Keep on keeping on. You're an inspiration.

Closed Thread