It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

skippey HB User
Question Heart palpitations on Day 4 1/2

I am at day 4 1/2 with the usual side effects....dreams, blah, and not hungry...cannot really taste anything. But this morning about 8:30 am, I had to stop in my tracks. I had heart palpitations that made me sit down and catch my breath. I called my doctor's office and the nurse told me to go to Chantix.com and see if there was anything on it about that. Great Doc, eh?
Now I have to make a decision to stay or not stay on it. With no help from my physician. I am still smoking...barely...my quit date is this coming Sunday.
Anyone else have symptoms like this? (I am 46 and have been smoking for over 25 years)

Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

skippey HB User
Re: Heart palpitations on Day 4 1/2

I guess no one has experienced this? I think I am going to just watch the dosage of the pills.....and if it is too strong, I will just take one a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Since your Doc checked you out prior to starting Chantix, if you do have any diagnoses they are probably under pretty good control or your Doc would not have prescribed the Chantix. So with that in mind, I would keep taking The Chantix as prescribed and see what happens. The heart palpitations may not at all be related to the Chantix. But if at all concerned, call your Doc back and get in to see him and have his check out your heart. Better safe than sorry, it could be a multitude of any number of things. Good luck.

Sapphire

Old 03-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

skippy,
The paper I have came with the Chantix.

Under adverse events during clinical trials:
CARDIAC DISORDERS: Infrequent: Angina pectoris, Arrhythmia, Bradycardia, Ventricular extrasystoles, myocardial infarction, Palpitations, Tachycardia
RARE: Atrial fibrillation, Cardiac flutter, Coronary artery disease, Cor pulmonale, Acute coronary syndrome.

Hope this helps. I hope I spelled all this stuff correctly. The printing on this insert is tiny and these old eyes have a hard time seeing it without a LOT of light.

Memaw

Old 03-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

skippey HB User
Talking Re: Heart palpitations on Day 4 1/2

Thank you all. I did do some more research and found out that heart flutterings are not that abnormal. I weigh 135 pounds and was wondering if maybe the dose was too high. I skipped last night's pill and did okay this morning. I am still smoking but just a puff ever and there. My quit date is Sunday and I am doing my darndest..not to let myself worry about it.

--Reading all your stories does help...but the rubber meets the road when I am alone and have to do this. Thanks Again!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Oh Skippy, I can tell you this, without this message board I would feel totally alone in my QUIT. I can always come here and vent, cry, or whatever, and everyone here will continue to cheer me on. They will you, too! Good luck to you and I hope you are able to continue with the Chantix. Let us know of your progress! You have already taken some good first steps. Hang in there.

Sapphire

Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi Skippy,

Congratulations on your decision to quit. Sorry to hear about your initial reaction to Chantix. Many of the side effects from Chantix wear off after a few days so I hope this one does not repeat. Please note that when the "rubber hits the road" you will have a whole lot of Quit Buddies on this message board. You will not be alone. We've all been there. Many are in the same boat as you. So please come back and let us know how you are doing!

Kevin__

Old 03-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Skippy,
Glad you're feeling better today.
Although this is something that you alone will have to do,
you will not be alone in your quit. Everyone on this message board has been where you are. We understand what you are going through. Non smokers could never understand why this addiction is not easy to stop.
Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing. We will help in any way we can.

Memaw

Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
(female)

skippey HB User

thank you all so much! --I did lower the dose after Friday. I barely made it home and threw up and threw up. Laid down, went to sleep for a couple of hours and felt better. Only thing about the low dose is it does not keep me from smoking... but keeps me from smoking alot. I only take a couple of puffs and then put it out. Got a feeling my issues are going to be of the mind...the habit of 'taking a break' and smoking a cigarette. --I just keep thanking God that I am at the end of this habit. Even my grandkids say I stink and that just hurts my heart! My Dad died of lung cancer in 2003 and even that was not enough to keep me from smoking. The day he died, he was so out of it that he was 'pretending' to smoke. He was not even aware of what he was doing but he was bringing his hand to his mouth..like he was smoking. I don't want to go like that. I am going to start taking the higher dose tomorrow. I get so much help just from reading the posts. Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi skippy,
I know this is a very hard addiction to stop. But make up your mind that you are going to do it this time. The Chantix will help. With some people it takes a little longer for the Chantix to kick in. So please don't get discouraged!! Are you still on the white pills or have you started taking the blue pill yet? Try cutting the blue pills in half and take them with four small meals. Be sure you are drinking LOTS of water with this medicine. It will help with the side effects.

I can remember when my brother in law had a stroke that eventually put him in a nursing home at the age of 54. While he was still in the hospital, he would do the same thing that your dad did and bring his unseen cigarette up to his mouth, take a deep drag of it, and blow it out!! That is how strong an addiction this is.

My granddaughter used to tell me that I smelled like cigarettes. I thought, I know I do, but I can't do anything about that. I'm so glad the Chantix worked for me.

Keep posting on how you are doing. Come on back and rant and rave and yell and holler. We've all been there and know what you are going through. We'll give you all the encouragement you need to help you stop.

Memaw

Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
(female)

jenavive HB User

I had heart palps the first day I started Chantix!! It freaked me out so bad. I cut my dose in half then everything was great! I was on Chantix for 5 wks. and no smokes for 4wks. I weaned myself off of it and now have been Chantix free for a week! I feel ok... still VERY tired but I do feel like I getting back to my old self. Jen

Old 04-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Jen,
Congratulations on breaking your addiction to smoking!! 4 weeks is WONDERFUL!!
Your energy level should be coming up pretty soon. Try to exercise or go walking. That will help.
How did the weaning go? How did you do that? I'm so happy for you!! Let us know how you are doing since coming off the Chantix.

Keep in touch!!

Memaw

Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Hi Skippy and Jen (and Memaw and Sapphire):

I hope you guys are doing okay, sounds like some scary stuff with the heart palpatations and all. Skippy, you might just have to cut your dosage like you're doing - whatever works for you. I'll tell you - I took the first week of pills, then the 2nd week of blue pills, quit on my quit date - and then quit the Chantix a few days later. I was forgetting to take them, and the sleep disruptions and poopie problems made me quit taking it. I did fine - I am still smoke and nico-free and it will be 6 weeks tomorrow!!! I think just getting thru that initial withdrawal the Chantix really helped me. Then it was up to me to change my habits and learn to live without cigs. Doing everything once without smoking - it's weird but after a while, you don't even think about it anymore....

Good luck to you - and come back often. The people here are awesome!!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer View Post
Hi Skippy and Jen (and Memaw and Sapphire):

I hope you guys are doing okay, sounds like some scary stuff with the heart palpatations and all. Skippy, you might just have to cut your dosage like you're doing - whatever works for you. I'll tell you - I took the first week of pills, then the 2nd week of blue pills, quit on my quit date - and then quit the Chantix a few days later. I was forgetting to take them, and the sleep disruptions and poopie problems made me quit taking it. I did fine - I am still smoke and nico-free and it will be 6 weeks tomorrow!!! I think just getting thru that initial withdrawal the Chantix really helped me. Then it was up to me to change my habits and learn to live without cigs. Doing everything once without smoking - it's weird but after a while, you don't even think about it anymore....

Good luck to you - and come back often. The people here are awesome!!

What Skimmer says true, I am happy to report that this morning was the first morning I did not wake up desiring a cigarette. Gets easier with each passing day and I am only on Day 11 of my QUIT.

Sapphire

Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
(female)

jenavive HB User

Skimmer were you tired a lot? That was one of my biggest reasons to stop Chantix so soon. Well I'm still pretty tired on and off. When I get over my flu like sickness I do plan on walking a lot!!! Did you have any eye issues? I have been blurry lately, been told its time for glasses. Jen

Closed Thread