It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
So Addicted, Have To Quit

I have been smoking all my life prob about 40yrs & kept it going since I had so much stress in my life. I have to go for a CS this coming week w/contrast, xray showed a nodule Dr didn't seem too worried but it's a warning. I know I have to quit getting sick & tired of being the only one smoking feeling out of place or dying for a cig & too embarrassed to light up because the people don't smoke, it's like it controls my whole life where I go who I see etc. I had gotten Chantex & had an allergy to it so that's out I think I'm going to buy the patches AGAIN. The last time I had them I went 2wks since I knew I couldn't smoke w/it on & used licorice root sticks that helped w/the urge & gave me something to hold. I was doing great then saw cig in the store & bought just one pack! Just had to vent to people who understand.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
Re: So Addicted, Have To Quit

Hi Bill: Yeppers....this is the place to vent and to know in advance that the folks here are gonna completely understand. I'm sorry the Chantix didn't work for you. Best wishes in your efforts to become a quitter!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks for the support, actually I'm Joy Bills Gramp's wife, I always forget to say that when I post.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Good luck with the patches. If they worked before give them a try again. Are you sure the allergies to Chantix were not simply side effects? You might check with your doc, cause alot of the side effects do ease over time. Just thought you might want to take that into consideration.

Whatever you do, however you do it, I wish you the best and want to encourage you to do whatever it takes. Especially since it has affected your health. Cigarette damage does have a way of finally sneaking up on us. Very slowly, like the frog in the pot of water over the small flame. The water is heated so slowly the frog tolerates it then dies when it gets boiled. Ewwwwwww what a thought and to think that is what we do to ourselves, yuck. Anyway, you made a great decision to QUIT. Come here often and let us all know of your progress as we are going to be your biggest cheering section. We are in your corner, we have been there and do understand. We keep coming here to make sure we ourselves don't go back, and to encourage and support others.

Sapphire

Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsgramp View Post
I have been smoking all my life prob about 40yrs & kept it going since I had so much stress in my life. I have to go for a CS this coming week w/contrast, xray showed a nodule Dr didn't seem too worried but it's a warning. I know I have to quit getting sick & tired of being the only one smoking feeling out of place or dying for a cig & too embarrassed to light up because the people don't smoke, it's like it controls my whole life where I go who I see etc. I had gotten Chantex & had an allergy to it so that's out I think I'm going to buy the patches AGAIN. The last time I had them I went 2wks since I knew I couldn't smoke w/it on & used licorice root sticks that helped w/the urge & gave me something to hold. I was doing great then saw cig in the store & bought just one pack! Just had to vent to people who understand.
Hi Joy!
Welcome to this message board!!
We definately understand about being an outcast and the need to light up.
We were all there at one time.

By all means USE the patch. But first make up your mind that you are going to quit. And mean it. Once you stop smoking, you can not take even one puff of another cigarette.

Someone on this board a few months ago used something called the Australian Chewing Sticks. I think they were cinnamon flavored. Also cinnamon sticks are good to have around to suck on. You might want to get something like this before you quit.

Also, you can try the straw cigarettes. You cut straws the length of a cigarette and stuff it with cotton until it has the draw of a cigarette. Keep these all over the place and in the car. It helps with the hand to mouth thing.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
We are here to help in any way we can.

Memaw

Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
I'm Joy Bills Gramp's wife.
Hi Joy.. welcome to the boards and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!! I used the patch and it worked for me! Let us know if you have any questions and good luck in this try, you can do it!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks so much, the Chantix made me very constipated & trouble sleeping. We'll see what happens w/the patch, I have 3 boxes left of the Chantix if I decide. I wonder if you can just take them & not smoke, since I already tried them & smoked before. I think from what it says I have bronchiolitis which seems ok unless I smoke or go in air conditioning then start coughing non productive. What drives me crazy is we are going over a nice couples house for dinner & then a concert they are non smokers, so right away I start figuring how many hours I would be without a cig & it's alot, It's like it controls my whole life. I just wish I didn't have so much stress in my life although the Dr put me on Buspar which I read helps with quitting.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
(female)

maryber HB User

billsgramp,
Hi and welcome to the boards! congrats on the decision to quit.
Constipation and sleep problems were HUGE problems for me also when I first started and did resolve over time. I temporarily used other things to make myself more comfortable in order to continue the chantix. I had to take a laxative and get a prescription for a sleeping pill. I got through it, you can too! I've tried so many different avenues to quit smoking and this medication by far was the easiest and most sucessful! Please, Consider trying it again.
Keep us posted..... whatever you decide, Good luck!
Mary
I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 36 seconds (52 days). I have saved $218.15 by not smoking 793 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 18 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/6/2007 5:15 PM

Old 03-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
.... I start figuring how many hours I would be without a cig & it's alot, It's like it controls my whole life. .....
Yep, that old Nicodemon controls every second of your life.. it's nice not to have that in my life anymore... The demon controlled me from the first cigarette I smoked in bed in the morning to the last one I had in bed at night ... and it controlled me with those 2 packs a day in between... for more than 25 years.... My whole family gave up on asking me to quit smoking, they thought I was a lost cause (and my mother died from a disease caused by smoking).... So if I can quit, anyone can quit.

Good luck and have fun at the dinner/concert.... Why don't you put a patch on before dinner? It should help you throughout the evening.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #10
(female)

luvmyyorkie HB User

Hi Joy! I just wanted to wish you luck in quitting smoking. I know exactly what you mean in it controlling you. I work 12-hr shifts and only get 2 10-minute breaks, so I would spread those out evenly throughout the shift and if anyone needed anything taken downstairs, I would volunteer to do it so that I could sneak out to light one up. Also, I have missed out on some things in the past because I knew I wouldn't be able to smoke or slip out for one because I didn't want the people there to know I smoke (even though they could probably smell it, lol)...so I declined going. As long as there are any cigarettes, I will tell myself, "just this one" or "I'm just going to finish this pack". Finally, I had to finish off a pack and refuse to buy any more. No matter how tempting, I have to refuse to go get some.

By the way, constipation and trouble sleeping aren't really allergies. They are side effects. So, you could still take the Chantix and just do as someone mentioned & take something else for the side effects. I was having the same side effects for the first few weeks, didn't take anything for them, and finally got over them. Just give it a little time. The Chantix really does help with the cravings!

Old 03-31-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Joy,
Like lovemyyorkie said, what you experienced was side effects to the Chantix not allergy. Most everyone has some side effect to this drug. But look at all the people here that are still taking it. I had constipation but took milk of mag. and was okay. The side effects were not bad enough for me to quit taking the Chantix. There is no way I could have quit smoking without it. I had tried so many times before.
But if you feel that you can do it with the patches, then by all means use that!! There is not one correct way to help you stop smoking. You do what is right for you!!! But the bottom line is You quit smoking!!
I know you've heard it before, but it really is the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

Memaw

Old 03-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

I think the biggest thing was the not being able to sleep, I have insomnia many nights as it is, if the patch doesn't work I'll have to ask my Dr if I can take a sleep aid drug too. I don't want to test the chantix by smoking like they sd but I guess you can just take it & not smoke & it will work to loose the cravings, right?

Old 03-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Joy,
The Chantix is NOT nicotine replacement like the patch and gum. It has no nicotine whatsoever in it. So you aren't "chancing" anything when you take it and smoke. It was designed so that you continue smoking until you feel ready to quit. Eventually tho, you do not get the "kick" out of the cigarettes you once got before starting the Chantix. So therefore you don't NEED to smoke. Hope this clears this up for you.

Good Luck to you.

Memaw

Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

I'm giving this alot of thought being that I have been so addicted for so many yrs & have a stressful life. I'm thinking the patch is too easy for someone like me who can either put it on or not or take it off. I do have 3wks of Chantix left & when you take the pill that's it which I will do. Now that I see other people had side effects like me & not an allergy like I was told I will have to deal w/the constipation & sleeping problem w/something else too. I'm thinking this is the way to go.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: So Addicted, Have To Quit

Memaw, you sure did explain that real good. I tried the patch at the first of the year. My problem was that I kept sneaking cigarettes while on it and finally I just quit putting it on. I had terrible nightmares that were simply too much for me to handle. Put those two together and I simply gave up. I also developed a sweet tooth while on the patch. I think it was because I wanted to change the way my mouth tasted. Sweets did a good job. I gained 8 pounds and gave up. Chantix now works for me.

I love knowing that the nicotine is out of my system. I looked up the site you suggested (smokefree.gov) and read that nicotine is out of our system in 3 days. I thought it took three weeks. Anyway, I leaned alot. Now my body has to adapt to not having that continual supply of nicotine, just like it adapted to the nicotine when I started to smoke. I think I will be much better shape after I get thru my second week. I scored a 9 on the nicotine dependence test.

Joy: I think you will find the side effects are not that bad with Chantix. They ease over time. Keep us up to date with your progress. You have made a great decision to QUIT smoking. We are all rooting you on.

Sapphire

Sapphire

Closed Thread