It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
(male)

johnrf HB User
Ahhhh!!!

I'm on day four and i feel like i am going crazy. I'm having hot flashes mood swings, i feel angry yet sad. I'm in need of some advice, is this from not smoking? I also have depression and anxiety, and it really feels alot like these.
Anyone else have this? Please help me, i don't want to smoke again.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

tampaquit HB User
Re: Ahhhh!!!

Hi John! Are you on Chantix? I'll tell you that several of the male posters on this site have also reported the same feelings, especially with anger. And I mean scary type anger. You are at the peak of nicotene withdrawal right now as well. It takes 3 days to get out of your system more or less. So you would be nicotene free now, and that's what's calling you to smoke right now. DO NOT give in, as it passes. When you feel like this, drink water, wash your hands, take a shower, go sit in a quiet room, take a walk, whatever you can think of to get past these moments. I'll tell you the first few days, my crutch was the shower. I took the longest soaping up shower I could and I felt better afterwards. Good luck to you and take it minute by minute if you have to. You won't feel better by smoking and it WILL pass! I promise!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
(male)

johnrf HB User

I'm on the patch. I really wish that i had done chantix, but i had a box of patches ready to go.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

You have made a great decision to QUIT smoking. I am sorry you are having such side effects. Read up on the package the patches came with and see what side effects are common. I wish I could help you more. Good luck.

Sapphire

Last edited by SiiouteSapphire; 03-30-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
(female)

tampaquit HB User

OK, the patches do work as a lot of folks on here quit with them. I asked about the Chantix because a couple of people felt like that caused the anger. I'm telling you, go get in the shower, or sit in the bath, go lay down in bed with a washcloth, anything to take your mind off what's going on. EVERY single day is easier and you are just in the tornado part right now. Pretty soon you'll be Dorothy arriving in Oz. OK we try to have a sense of humor here too in case you hadn't figured it out. Some of us have more humor than others

Old 03-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
(male)

johnrf HB User

I'm gonna try the shower. Don't watch! (is that good humor?)

Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Well honey unless they make a computer email camera that is waterproof, you'll be on your own! Course, now, how do you know I didn't invent something like that and am going to be spying??? OH, deep breaths worked good too. I even pretended like I was smoking and just sucking air. At least you'll be clean Woo HOO!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
(male)

johnrf HB User

Does anyone know how long these waves of anxiety go on?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Do you feel a little better?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
(male)

johnrf HB User

I do feel better. It's kind of like the biggest wave is done but there are still some pretty good sized waves coming.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrf View Post
I'm on day four and i feel like i am going crazy. I'm having hot flashes mood swings, i feel angry yet sad. I'm in need of some advice, is this from not smoking? I also have depression and anxiety, and it really feels alot like these.
Anyone else have this? Please help me, i don't want to smoke again.
Hi John!
Welcome to you!! So sorry you are having such a hard time with this. Hang in there. It will get better.

The side effects for the patch are: This medication may cause headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, stomach upset, nausea or flushing the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. If these symptoms persist or become bothersome, inform your doctor. If the area around the patch becomes red, itchy or irritated, try a new site. If the irritation continues or becomes worse, notify your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: breathing difficulties, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, nervousness, anxiety, tremors. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

You may not be getting as much nicotine with the patch as you were with smoking. These feelings should pass in a day or so. Just hold on until then.
In the mean time, take deep breaths, call a friend, like tampaquit said, take a shower. Tell yourself that Smoking is no longer an option. Do what you think will make you feel better. As long as you don't smoke!!!!!

You can do this!! Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrf View Post
Does anyone know how long these waves of anxiety go on?
Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking John!! I used the patch so it does work.... I felt I would never be able to quit smoking.... but I did .... you will too... keep coming back and let us know how you are doing!!

Old 03-31-2007, 05:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

John I did it cold turkey and actually got physically ill. Your already on day 4 you practically through the hardest time in all of this the first 7 are the hardest once your through it you'll be okay. Don't stop the exceptionally fabulous job you've done so far once you get over he hump it's amazing how great you'll feel about yourself and accomplishing one of the hardest things to do in your life aside from the pain you'll get from patting yourself on the back don't give up you can do it

Old 03-31-2007, 05:41 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Hello John
Welcome to day 5. Today is going to be that bit easier than day 4,you'll see. Try taking a brisk walk, more deep breaths, more long cool drinks and more relaxing showers. The worst is already over, I promise.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #15
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Hi John, how are you doing today? You should be past the hump now and it really, really does get easier...

Closed Thread