It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

sabresfan HB User
Can I still smoke after the starter pack??

Hi, I am on the last day of my starter pack of Chantix and know that I'm supposed to stop smoking as of tomorrow (unfortunately have a very big party to attend tomorrow and know it's going to be really difficult not to smoke)......I was wondering, has anyone smoked beyond the start pack and if so, how long/how much? Thanks for any feedback.....this is a great site and support..

S.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

tampaquit HB User
Re: Can I still smoke after the starter pack??

Hi Sabresfan,

Yes you can smoke past your quit date with no ill effects. I quit one day after you were supposed to just because I am a cheapskate and wanted to finish my pack of cigs. How pitiful is that??? So quit when you are ready. If tomorrow won't work, then make it after the party. Go to bed tomorrow night a non smoker and be done with the smokes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

I did not QUIT until Day 10. I did it when it was right for me and I was mentally ready to QUIT. So, enjoy the party, the day you choose as your QUIT day will get here soon enough. You are not a coward in waiting a few more days. You are being honest and realistic. Good luck to you and please remember to report back to us. We will all be cheering you on.

Sapphire

Last edited by SiiouteSapphire; 03-30-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
(female)

sabresfan HB User

Thanks for the supportive feedback....this site and the people on it are amazing....have been smoking 25 yrs., tried quiting w/ everything that was available and nothing worked (have got a closet filled w/ expired patches, gum, etc.....) so far the chantix is the only thing that has been remotely helpful. When you went to the blue pills, did you find that your cravings lessened even more?

Thanks
S.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Yes, the cravings were less, and a lot of us felt really calm and in control. Not goofy or anything but just very quietly, calmly, I have quit smoking, and I feel good, and a lot of nice things are going to happen to me, etc. I was more worried if I would have more side effects and the day was uneventful. I quit, tried to really keep busy, CLEANED like a wild women, ate carrots up the ying yang, just to get through my first day. After that it got easier and easier!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi sabresfan!
Welcome to the message board!! We are so happy you have decided to quit smoking!! You are not going to believe how much better you will feel!!

I chickened out on day 8 of the Chantix. But on day 9, I got up and thought to myself that if I'm going to do this, I've got to stop sometime!!
There are people here who have gone two weeks past their initial stop date. So just set a date and see how you feel on that date. The blue pill is a stronger dosage and it will help to lessen your desire to smoke.
Continue to smoke until your quit date. But try to postpone when you smoke by 5 minutes or longer if you can. Mix up your routine of smoking. The Chantix helps you with the addiction, but you have to work on the habit. By postponing and changing where or when you smoke it will help you with the habit.
Good Luck to you!!
Please let us know how you are doing.

Memaw

Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
(male)

DeadFish HB User

You sounded like me, sabresfan.
I had to chuckle as I really DO have expired patches, wellbutrin, etc. still lying around
Really the ladies hit it right. You'll find the right date to quit, and you got great chances. For me, the things just mostly stopped 'working', and that is how the drug works, for most people. Do it when it works for you, don't make it something you resent. Best thing you have ever done for yourself, you don't want to give it any more bad taste than you have to. You get the urges, but you find more strength to reason that you can beat them, and they slow down.
Let us know how it is going.
And enjoy the party!

Regards,
DeadFish

Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Smile Re: Can I still smoke after the starter pack??

How was the party???? I hope you had a wonderful time. Have you chosen a new QUIT date? We are all cheering for you.

Sapphire

Old 04-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Hey Sabresfan and welcome to the quitter's club!! How was the party? That's funny - I have expired patches, and Wellbutrin too - and now I have 4 packs of smokes in the house that I can throw away!! I was gonna give them away, but never did. I guess I should just toss them - but dang, that's $12 worth of smokes!! Alright - the trash comes tomorrow, they are gone, I promise.

I quit on my scheduled quit date (I think) the first day of taking the blue pill - and then quit taking the Chantix altogether after 2 weeks total - with no ill effects and no cravings of wanting to smoke.

I hope you have set another quit date by now, and are on your wait to becoming a non-smoker for good. This site is a great help - I swear - I spent every waking moment on here and was worried I might be replacing my tobacco addiction with internet addiction...

Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
(female)

Julianna823 HB User

I quit mid-way through my 11th day on Chantix. I just sort of put them down and haven't really had the desire to have one. Today is my 5th DAY QUIT!!!! Pack a day smoker for 25+ years, nothing got in the way of my smoking! My kids used to say I was 'smoking up the car' while driving, and I'd argue that the window is cracked and all the smoke is going OUTSIDE, so stop complaining. But you know what? I've found they were right. My husband lit up the other day in the passenger seat, with the window cracked, and I could smell it plain as day. My poor children suffered through that for years and I've promised them that it will never happen again! And the car gets a steam cleaning this coming weekend because even after not smoking for as little as 5 days, it stinks so bad I want to trade it in!
My husband is also on Chantix, a week behind me, Saturday was his 8th day and he wasn't ready yet. So he's still taking it one day at a time, which is fine because I know he'll do it eventually. Another friend took 3 weeks to quit, went through the whole 12 weeks on Chantix, and when she got off she experienced something similar to what TrueBrit did, the enormous cravings, but hers were daily and constant. So the dr put her back on the low dosage indefinately. His reasoning was that a lot of people take a pill everyday for something, high blood pressure, heart problems, GI problems. Why not to keep from smoking? The rough part is over, it's all just maintenance from here. Thankfully, she's doing fine on the lower dose.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Good for you Julianna and I hope your husband will follow in your footsteps. How wonderful to be a smoke-free family......I know what you mean about the car stink - my hubby smoked in his car, I hated it! Rolling down the windows does nothing, it gets all in the A/C vents and ruins everything. I swear - I think I can still smell it on my back porch even after 5 weeks of no-smoking back there. I think it's in the screens!!! YUK!! I have some more cleaning to do I guess.....

Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Julianna,
WOW! Congratulations on being smoke free for 5 days!!! SUPER DUPER!!
Tell hubby that we're all rooting for him here.

Interesting about your friend. I suppose her doctor is right about people taking a pill for this or that everyday. But boy I was ready to come off of this one!! But if needed, I would take it again. Wouldn't hesitate for a second!!!

You keep up the fantastic job you are doing!!
Good Luck to you!! Keep posting so we'll know how you are coming along in your quit!!

Memaw

Closed Thread