It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
(female)

tessie58 HB User
New to boards w/question

Hello! I have been reading the board for a few days and am so glad that there is a place to come and read everyone's journey into being a non smoker.
Today is my third day on Chantix, the first day of two pills per day.
My question is: I notice that the quit day varies among posters. The instructions say to stop smoking one week after beginning the Chantix, but is that the norm? I am a 30 year/ 2+ pack a day smoker. Do you wait until you no longer have the urge to smoke to quit?
Chantix users: What day did you stop?
Thank you so much for your replies, and thank you for this message board!
It has been my lifeline since I found it.
Tess

Old 03-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Re: New to boards w/question

Hi Tessie
My advice would be to try to quit at the one week point but if you find you are not ready, don't beat yourself up, just wait till you are ready. I think Chantix takes longer in some people than others to kick in. It's a good idea to cut down each day so that your quit day is as easy as possible.
Keep us posted and good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
(female)

tampaquit HB User

Hi Tessie,

The first day of the pills I didn't feel much different. The second, I could feel it and cut out about 7 cigs that day just because I didn't want them. By the time I got to my quit day, which was the one week plus one extra day, I did not need a cig. Now...I wanted one, and that was the habit part. Try to pay attention every day to if you want one or need one? It helped me tremendously. And when you are ready to quit, you will quit. This is a great board with a lot of wonderful people so keep checking in and good luck!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

luvmyyorkie HB User

I didn't quit the first week either. I quit 2 weeks and 2 days after I started taking the Chantix. The first week, I did realize I was smoking less. The 2nd week, I noticed the cigarettes had a funny taste. Finally, I decided I wasn't going to buy anymore and when I finished that last pack I had that day, I was done for good. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I've had one.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi tessie,
Welcome to the message boards!! I'm so glad you decided to become healthy!! Good Decision!!!!

I quit on day 9. I chickened out on day 8. But on day 8 I just smoked only 8 cigarettes that day.

Try to aim for day 8. If you can do it then, good!!!! If not, try again the next day. It will happen!! Don't get discouraged. Right now I can understand why you are questioning this. You don't feel ready yet, right? The longer you take the Chantix, the less you will smoke. It will work!!

Good Luck to you and please let us know how you are doing.

Memaw

Old 03-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
(female)

tessie58 HB User

Thank you all for both your warm welcome, and your encouragement!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Smile Re: New to boards w/question

Hi Tessie!

Welcome to the QUITTERS CLUB It is exciting as a relatively new member of this club to be here and see others come aboard. I sure can relate to you as this message board has also become my lifeline. I did not QUIT on Day 8, I simply was not ready. I picked Day 10 and I stuck with it. I did not want to keep changing my QUIT date and having to start over again and again. That has been my history with quitting and I wanted this time to be different. With the help of Chantix it has been, thank the Lord.

Wishing for you success and the best of luck. Keep us posted.

Sapphire

Closed Thread