It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User
Dr is weaning me off Chantix

From the beginning I have had aching in my legs, and I atributed it to nicotine with drawal, especially in the beginning when it was an all over body ache. But, the last 3 weeks my legs have gotten progressivly worse, and the daily Advil and Tylenol I take, that don't do a thing, and the loss of sleep from the constant pain finally drove me to the Dr. Thursday.
Well he looked it up and Chantix can cause Myofascial pain, and after ruling some other things out in me, he thinks that is what is going on. He also took blood to make sure that the actual muscle tissue is not being broken down, yikes!
So, for the next week he is having me go to one 1 mg once a day, then to 1 mg every other day for a week. I am not worried about going back to smoking at this point. It has been almost 6 weeks (on April 2nd) the smell bothers me too much, and it went up a 1.00 a pack here in taxes! But, I hope that the weaning off goes ok! I wish I could have stayed on the whole time.... I told my DH I could be an advocate for Chantix cause I tell everyone how great it is!

Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Re: Dr is weaning me off Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone206 View Post
From the beginning I have had aching in my legs, and I atributed it to nicotine with drawal, especially in the beginning when it was an all over body ache. But, the last 3 weeks my legs have gotten progressivly worse, and the daily Advil and Tylenol I take, that don't do a thing, and the loss of sleep from the constant pain finally drove me to the Dr. Thursday.
Well he looked it up and Chantix can cause Myofascial pain, and after ruling some other things out in me, he thinks that is what is going on. He also took blood to make sure that the actual muscle tissue is not being broken down, yikes!
So, for the next week he is having me go to one 1 mg once a day, then to 1 mg every other day for a week. I am not worried about going back to smoking at this point. It has been almost 6 weeks (on April 2nd) the smell bothers me too much, and it went up a 1.00 a pack here in taxes! But, I hope that the weaning off goes ok! I wish I could have stayed on the whole time.... I told my DH I could be an advocate for Chantix cause I tell everyone how great it is!
Hello Keystone
If you find you feel better on 1mg a day you could stay on that for the remainder of your 3 months. Also have you thought of splitting the pills into 0.5mg twice a day to spread the load a bit. Having weaned off Chantix myself, I know that 1mg in 2 doses is still effective once you are used to it. Good luck and kep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Lynda,
I'm so sorry that Chantix was affecting you this way!! How painful! But by the time you are weaned off the Chantix, you will have taken it at least two months. That may be enough time for you to have gotten the benefits from it.

Please let us know how the weaning off goes!! Others here are close to getting off the drug and are a little nervous about it. I had no trouble getting off it, but True Brit went through hell with it.

Good Luck to you!! And God bless you!!

Memaw

Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

luvmyyorkie HB User

Congratulations in quitting smoking!
I'm sorry you're having those side effects and hope they will soon end. I wish you success in coming off the Chantix without any problem.

I was off of it cold turkey for about three days because of my crazy work hours and the pharmacy hours when my first month's supply ran out. I asked the pharmacist if I really needed to even get that 2nd month since I'd been fine while off of it for those few days. He said it wouldn't hurt for me to go ahead and take at least another month just to be sure. I did buy them and am continuing to take it just in case, but I think I wouldn've been fine either way. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to feel fine after just the first month's supply. I had only stopped smoking for 2 weeks at that time too, instead of 3. I also had no ill effects from quitting abruptly. But everyone is different.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Smile Re: Dr is weaning me off Chantix

Hi Hopsing! It was in reading your post that I realized the sensations I have been having in my hips and legs at night were a side effect from Chantix. The hip pain feels like a deep bone pain, very uncomfortable. I noticed it a couple days ago and I wondered if I had bone cancer or some other disease. No kidding it was that unusual. I noticed the muscle pain in my legs as well. I just did not know what to make of it. I did not associate it with the Chantix but now I do. I never in my life had that kind of sensation or that kind of pain before. I even had to roll over and on occasion had to change sides that I was lying on.

I feel better knowing what it is! I hope it does not get worse but if it does I know I can always cut my dosage and see what happens. I am so thankful that I found this message board. Since these side effects are not listed as common I did not immediately make the association.

I have no desire to quit taking Chantix, I am gonna make it work one way or another. It is 6PM here and by now I would have been close to finishing my second pack of the day. Makes me feel good knowing I am now in control.

Sapphire

Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

hopsing,
Way to go!! 20 days is sooooo very good!! You are doing it!! Isn't it amazing?
I'm glad you found a way to stop your pain, but continue with the Chantix.

Attitude is so important in quitting. Keeping it positive will help make it easier for you. Without it, your chances for failing increase.
That is one reason I like to cheer people on, rather than try to scare them into quitting. Positive reinforcement works in so many areas of life.

You are just awesome!! You inspire so many people here. Thank you for keeping us informed on your progress and how you are making it.

Memaw

Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

The pain seems to have improved enough that I slept pretty good last night for a change. If my blood work comes back ok, I will see if I can stay on the 1 mg once a day to finsih out...
thanks for all your support!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
(female)

MaryNC HB User

Anyone having muscle or bone pain on Chantix, don't take it lightly. Chantix destroyed my life. For 18 months now since I took Chantix, my healthy body took a turn for the worse. My muscles are in pain every day, even though I have been off chantix for a year and a half. Not only bad pain, but my muscles are growing weaker every day. I walk with a cane and I am only 45. I don't know what to do because doctors can't do anything but prescribe pain pills.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

Mine turned out to be my thyroid, I had quit the Chantix thinking it was causing my pain, but in my case after a long investigation, it was my thyroid. But, as Mary says, don't ingnore your pain! I am back on Chantix now, and quit smoking just a week now, but am weaning back to half a blue pill a day. Simply because it makes me too sick to my stomach and I can't sleep at night. Listen to your body folks!
I should say that I haven't had any leg pain this time around.
Lynda

Last edited by keystone206; 07-08-2008 at 04:01 AM.

Closed Thread