It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

akazie HB User
Cold turkey tips?

I really want to give up smoking but I always seem to fail

I think that I will just try cold turkey this time so my questions is for these who gave up smoking this.

How long do the cravings last for, a couple of months?

Are there any tips you can give me to make it a bit easier?

TIA

Old 03-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Cold turkey tips?

Hi akazie,
I didn't quit cold turkey. I used the Chantix. But I can direct you to a wonderful web site that can answer most of your questions. Even though I used this new drug, this web site helped me tremendously!! It is smokefree.gov
The forever free booklet can be downloaded to your computer.

The nicotine will remain in your body for about 3 days after you smoke your last cigarette. The withdrawal symptoms will last anywhere from one to three weeks for most people. The first week is usually the hardest with the first day being the hardest for me. So if you can get past the first week, it's all down hill from there.
After you quit, remember that the cravings will pass whether you smoke or not.
Some tips to help you cope:
Go for a walk, call a friend, exercise, chew gum, leave the situation, take deep breaths, eat something. Tell yourself "I can do this!!"
Tell yourself that "Smoking will not solve the problem."
Think about wht smoking does to your health.

I'm glad you recognize the need to quit smoking.
I wish you luck. Please let us know how you are doing in your quit. Have you set a quit date yet?

Memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
(female)

luvmyyorkie HB User

Good luck to you!

Memaw already gave some great suggestions. Keep telling yourself that you CAN beat this addiction. Get rid of all cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays, etc and refuse to buy any more. Whenever an urge to smoke hits you, take a slow deep clean breath instead of a smoky one. Tell yourself how much better you will feel soon for doing this. If you are tempted to smoke again after you've quit, ask yourself is it really worth that cigarette after all you've already gone through to quit and do you want to have to start all over again.

You can do it!!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
(male)

CTYankee HB User

I was able to quit cold turkey with the help of Australian Chewing Sticks. This would get me through the cravings (esp. after I ate) My last smoke was 133 days ago and I still will get the desire to have one at times, although less frequently and it does not last long (what do I expect after 40 plus years of smoking). Good luck

Cheers

Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

forthebirds HB User

Get the book "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. I've quit 2 times because of this book. So MANY people swear by it. It gives you the right frame of mind, totally changes how you look at the "habit". The author smoked 100+ a DAY (yep, you read that right -- over ONE HUNDRED cigarettes a day). Can you imagine?!??!?!

As for time, cravings, what to expect - it's so different for everyone. To tell you it's only a few days - makes you anxious to get through "those few days". To tell you it's weeks, months may only scare you. So I will suggest what I did and it seems to be working and working well. I read the book, set my quit date while reading the book, and gave myself a goal of 24 hours. Got me a little quit meter thingie for the computer and watched it like a hawk. Once I got through that 24 hours (which was much easier than I expected) - I did the same the next day and so on. I celebrated each minute, hour, day that passed.

I am now working on my 3rd. week (cold turkey) and it seems like longer, not because is has been a battle but because I actually forget about smoking and I have to check my meter to actually see what day I'm on. *weird*

You can DO IT!!! Trust me!!! It's scary!! I firmly believe making the COMMITMENT (setting a date) to quit is harder than quitting!!! Once you make that resolve, in your mind to quit, you've gotten over the biggest hurdle.

Good luck, keep coming here! These are some truly wonderful people! And if you get the urge to smoke, once you quit, POST FIRST! Yell for help!

Keep us updated.........................

Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I used a candy called root beer barrels because I was on the nauseous side for a few days. I drank lots of water, I occupied my hands always cleaning reading, talking on the phone, coming here, getting outside with my son, anything and everything. If you can get through the first week you're home free.It took me about 3 months before I felt okay as far as mood swings etc passed. I'm a weekish away from 10 months. Oh yeah I didn't choose a date I just woke up on june 12th and said to myself let's see how far I can go with this not smoking thing because I found from past experience that I always failed setting a date and was very disappointment with myself when I couldn't do it.

You can do it you just have to push past the cravings and win the mental challenge. Good Luck and come back here often everyone is very generous with their support and advice.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: Cold turkey tips?

THE EASY WAY TO QUIT SMOKING

By: Allen Carr

I think I have the spelling right, I got my book at Barnes & Noble but I bet you can find it at the library as well. I think I am going to start reading it again myself as it does address the psychological addiction to smoking. Many people have QUIT cold turkey using Carr's advice. I tried, but could not muster enough will power even with all his great advice. I wish you the best.

Sapphire

Closed Thread